Merge= MofoDaddy Coldplay Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
obviously i wasnt talking to you.

screw off.

:macdevil: :eyebrow: :grumpy: :laugh: :yes: :mad:

hahahahahaahahhhaha look i know how to use smiles EE. hahahahahahah

hahahahhahaaaaa.

:|

The Wanderer said:
I think maybe my over-exposure to Coldplay comes from reading this place and every day a new not-so-subtle :sexywink: thread about how Rush of Blood is the greatest thing since Cate Blanchett
sounds familiar

tis ok now salomey
radiodead is gone bye bye now
there, there

*pats salomey on the head

I don't want to put words in Michael's mouth, but I think what he's doing is removing this album from the current tide of crap and comparing it to really stellar music.

One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough. There is hope that things may be turning around; the buzz about the Hives, the Stokes, etc., may be an indication of the turn-around, even if the actual "next big thing" involves other bands. Still, music is dominated by the heavy-handed, rather humorless music of Creed & Co. and the so-called anti-Britney's like Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton, BOTH of which seem to be more the products of calculating label management than the benefactors of the muse's blessing.

To say that A Rush of Blood is better than the current wave of safe elevator music is true (I think painfully obvious), but it underplays JUST how good it really is.

So, let's put this album in the ring against albums released during the last really stellar era of rock: the early 90's. This puts A Rush of Blood against Achtung Baby, Nevermind, Ten, Siamese Dream... one great album after another.

THE ALBUM STILL HOLDS UP.

The feat is particularly amazing given that the critics predicted them to be a one-trick pony ("Yellow") for bed-wetters, given that this is completely contrary to the current music scene, and given that this ONLY their second album.

Don't get defensive over our reactions about this album: don't start thinking it over-rated ONLY because a few of us think it so great. (There may be a reason we think it so great.) Get the album, turn the volume up and the lights down, close your eyes, and LISTEN. Don't look for things to praise or criticize the first time through; just allow yourself to wade into the deep end of this music.

And when the last vocal of "Amsterdam" ends ("You came along and cut me loose") and the organ finally cuts out, open your eyes and ask yourself, were you moved?

Bubba

Achtung Bubba said:
I don't want to put words in Michael's mouth, but I think what he's doing is removing this album from the current tide of crap and comparing it to really stellar music.

One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough. There is hope that things may be turning around; the buzz about the Hives, the Stokes, etc., may be an indication of the turn-around, even if the actual "next big thing" involves other bands. Still, music is dominated by the heavy-handed, rather humorless music of Creed & Co. and the so-called anti-Britney's like Avril Lavigne and Vanessa Carlton, BOTH of which seem to be more the products of calculating label management than the benefactors of the muse's blessing.

To say that A Rush of Blood is better than the current wave of safe elevator music is true (I think painfully obvious), but it underplays JUST how good it really is.

So, let's put this album in the ring against albums released during the last really stellar era of rock: the early 90's. This puts A Rush of Blood against Achtung Baby, Nevermind, Ten, Siamese Dream... one great album after another.

THE ALBUM STILL HOLDS UP.

The feat is particularly amazing given that the critics predicted them to be a one-trick pony ("Yellow") for bed-wetters, given that this is completely contrary to the current music scene, and given that this ONLY their second album.

Don't get defensive over our reactions about this album: don't start thinking it over-rated ONLY because a few of us think it so great. (There may be a reason we think it so great.) Get the album, turn the volume up and the lights down, close your eyes, and LISTEN. Don't look for things to praise or criticize the first time through; just allow yourself to wade into the deep end of this music.

And when the last vocal of "Amsterdam" ends ("You came along and cut me loose") and the organ finally cuts out, open your eyes and ask yourself, were you moved?

Bubba
No, you aren't putting words in my mouth at all. That pretty much sums it up!

Well, I know you're all dying to hear from me on the matter...and I don't blame you, I have some pretty mindblowing thoughts.

To make a statement like "a rush of blood to the head" is the best in a decade is a bit much. I really like the cd and have been listening to it constantly but I find the middle of the cd is a bit lacking. They're decent songs but they feel like they've been 'slapped' together. The first 4 tracks and the title track are enough to make up for that...they are amazing songs, especially politik, but compared to a cd like achtung Baby it does not compete. In fact, I like the first coldplay album just as much or better.

I'll say this much: I'm very glad they're looking for new songs and new song structure. Blood sounds nothing like Parachutes, which is a good satrt. They still have some maturing to do, however, in 10 years coldplay could very well be a groundbreaking, fucking amazing band. But who can see that far into the future?

For me the latest Flaming Lips album is better.

my picks for the best of 21st century:

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi...
Doves - Last Broadcast
Elbow - Asleep in the Back
Ours - distorted Lullabies
Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

Basstrap said:
To make a statement like "a rush of blood to the head" is the best in a decade is a bit much. I really like the cd and have been listening to it constantly but I find the middle of the cd is a bit lacking. They're decent songs but they feel like they've been 'slapped' together. The first 4 tracks and the title track are enough to make up for that...they are amazing songs, especially politik, but compared to a cd like achtung Baby it does not compete. In fact, I like the first coldplay album just as much or better.

I find it strange that you would say the middle of the album is lacking, and only include the first 4 songs as being "enough to make up for that." To me, the 5th song, 'Clocks', is up there with the best songs on the entire album. The next song, 'Daylight' is also a very good, more experimental song. Right after that -- and still part of the "middle" of the album -- you have 'Green Eyes' which, to my ears, is simpy stunning: a beautiful acoustic song that everyone since the Beatles wished they had come with. Beautiful mood, brilliant arrangement. One of the best songs off the album. Which song do we have next? Ah, the 8th track just happens to be another brilliant song! 'Warning Sign' is a standout in every way. Don't you just love how Chris Martin pleads, "...I miss you..." laa laa la la... Brilliant. Well, that pretty much covers the middle. Not very weak in my book, anyway.

As for the ending, don't even get me started on the title track and Amsterdam. I'm sure I would run out of superlatives.;)

Well I think you all know how I stand with Coldplay and their latest masterpiece. *ahem. However, let's not compare them to this or that, let's just enjoy them for the brilliance I believe their music is.

Maybe one day Wanderer will get a life and quit honing on threads that he knows he is simply going to just destroy. We know you dislike Coldplay, and we've gotten over it, perhaps you should too.

Achtung Bubba said:
One can easily see that rock music has its peaks and troughs, and right now we are suffering through a trough.

I think this statement is dangerously too general. There is always great music being made, you just have to look beyond the mainstream corperate medium to find it.

The early 90's had some great bands on the radio and MTV, but since then there has always been plenty of other great material available if you seek it out.

no disk said:

I think this statement is dangerously too general. There is always great music being made, you just have to look beyond the mainstream corperate medium to find it.

The early 90's had some great bands on the radio and MTV, but since then there has always been plenty of other great material available if you seek it out.
While I agree with you that there is a LOT of great music today, and that it's up to us to find it, I think what Bubba was saying is exactly what you have said: great music is no longer part of the mainstream (as in modern rock, MTV, etc) like it was back in the early '90s. (BTW, Bubba, I'll only represent you once!;))

well Angel, if I started a thread saying that your romance with deathbear is the greatest of the last decade, would you reply to the thread or would you just figure that everyone knew what your opinion was?

now I'm destroying threads, I'm like a Weezer song or something, whatever, good times....

Personally I wish Coldplay had just named the album "Blood." That would have been cool. I don't like long album titles.

Is "Blood" the best of the new millennium so far? Uh, no. Of the albums of the new millennium I've heard so far, I would vote for "The Rising," with "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in second place. I think I would put "Blood" in third place. Still not a bad place to be! What really excites me about Coldplay is this is only their second album. I'm curious to see if they will continue to develop and become a truly great band. I don't think they are there yet, but who knows what the future holds?

The Wanderer said:
well Angel, if I started a thread saying that your romance with deathbear is the greatest of the last decade, would you reply to the thread or would you just figure that everyone knew what your opinion was?

Yeah... and Michael's thread title had your name in it. Get a life Wanderer... we are all waiting.

yes, one day maybe I'll be like you, cause I'm sure you have THE LIFE

man, now I'm a Korn song!!!

but really, in all my life, that has been my most favorite insult, Get a Life, I'm trying, I'm waiting for a good discount though, do you know where I could get one cheap? I'm sure you do...

Michael Griffiths said:
While I agree with you that there is a LOT of great music today, and that it's up to us to find it, I think what Bubba was saying is exactly what you have said: great music is no longer part of the mainstream (as in modern rock, MTV, etc) like it was back in the early '90s. (BTW, Bubba, I'll only represent you once!;))

Precisely, Michael - and as pithy as your comments usually are, I trust that you can well restate what I mean anytime.

I guess, around the time ATYCLB was released, Bono was getting at directly fighting the pop-crap on the mainstream airwaves - and I think he has a point, that rock is supposed to have a large impact on the culture, that you should be able to find great music on the radio, not just the tiny independent record shops in college towns.

In 1992, great music DOMINATED; now, it simply doesn't.

Bubba

great music is the best kept secret in America, other than a few bands like U2 and Coldplay, you don't hear good rock bands on MTV or mainstream radio; I always got the impression that in places like the UK, Canada and Australia people were still listening to good music, while the US music scene is complete shit

argh... there are so many new CDs I want too that I simply cant justify buying. It's either that or concerts... and seeing as how I just got my Garbage/No Doubt tix today, no more CDs for a while. :scream:

Tyler is right though you know, this board is very clean.
I go to an Aussie dance board occassionallyand whoa mamma!

The Q Music Magazine forums are gold...

Angel, lay off Wanderer a little, he's just offering his opinion, I like the new Coldplay but don't exactly think its a classic, I for one hope that Coldplay can improve as I think they could and should try to!

Cowgirl said:
Tyler is right though you know, this board is very clean.

absolutely, and i love it this way.

for instance, the strokes.org forum, although amusing, is way too frustrating to frequent on a regular basis....u2 fans are much more civil.:) (FYM posters being the exception, of course;) )

Back
Top Bottom