Merge= MofoDaddy Coldplay Appreciation - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2002, 02:12 AM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:52 AM
I can see people thinking the Strokes are annoying, but I can't agree that they are poorly produced. "Is This It" is a pretty impressive production in these ears.

That quote is heinous, I remember reading it and thinking Albert must have been high for that interview. You can think things like that, but it's pretty foolish to say it out loud...they're learning...

And i'll take getting called the best B band around over being getting called a bunch of bedwetters any day of the week. lol.

Old 09-07-2002, 02:18 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:52 AM
wink

dont forget both of creeds masterpieces, weathered and human clay as well as nickelback and default.

Old 09-07-2002, 02:18 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
I don't think the strokes are here to save rock n roll, and I don't consider them to be a great band, but their bass player is pretty fucking good, and holds a lot of the songs together; as per reviews and reviewers, I could tell you what Hot Press called Coldplay, but does it matter? there are critics that have constantly bashed U2 over the years, so I don't care what one guy over here said, and one guy over there... most critics actually agree that the strokes are making some fairly good music, and are an exceptional live act from what I hear
Well, you have said what some reviewers have called Coldplay, so you tell me if it matters. The reason I used the quote wasn't because I felt we should all believe the critics, but because I can see some truth in what that particular critic said. I used the quote to help back up what I was saying, not the other way around.

As for them not being here to save rock n' roll, I realize that. I just find them a bit annoying, and not too interesting, but there could be many reasons for that. All just my opinion.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:20 AM   #19
Acrobat

good point re. critics opinions, wanderer.

i couldn't help myself though - that quote is priceless.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:43 AM   #20
Kid A

it's actually ironic because a lot of critics were calling Coldplay a shallow re-hash of mid-90s british rock -- and not providing anything fresh or new or bringing anything particularly interesting to the table, which is what you are basically saying about The Strokes, and using a review to back up this position

now suddenly Coldplay are the darlings of Britain's "nu-sensitive rock" establishment (whatever the fuck that means but that's what it's being dubbed)

there is a void right now in rock music, there are some cool new bands, but even those are highly derivative and retro; and the rock critics are desperately searching for someone to annoint as the next great UK band, the next U2, the next Radiohead... none of these bands are that good though, but the media and music industry don't care, they need somone to fill that void, that's honestly what I see happening right now, once upon a time it was Oasis or The Verve or the Stone Roses or Stereophonics, now it's Coldplay
Old 09-07-2002, 03:14 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:52 PM
maybe you've got coldplay overkill or something in the States.
here they were "ooh this new brit band coldplay" back before parachutes were released.
it did really really well here and they toured.
now they have released the new one and the raadio guys, especially our only cool youth station, JJJ, have praised it, saying its a very good 2nd album.
A lot of the time these bands who have the big debut, crash and burn. Coldplay have come back with something very good and its getting a fair amount fo radio play here.
maybe we dont gush as much here as what goes on over there, but i do find that certain bands, especially UK ones will have been around for quite some time, find success, and then much later the States will latch onto them and it snowballs.
i love this new album but I'll wait a few months before I can guage whether its in the top whatever of the past 3 years.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:23 AM   #22
Kid A

well no, the mainstream here only gushes about U2, Bon Jovi, Creed and the boy and girl bands, or they get all surly and and talk about Korn and Puddle of Mud, or Papa Roach, maybe mention how wonderful Nickelback is, I think maybe my over-exposure to Coldplay comes from reading this place and every day a new not-so-subtle thread about how Rush of Blood is the greatest thing since Cate Blanchett
Old 09-07-2002, 03:25 AM   #23
New Yorker

I call it Blood.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:41 AM   #24
Kid A

there will be aussie Blood spilled on court tomorrow
Old 09-07-2002, 03:43 AM   #25
New Yorker

Blood or blood?

I disagree btw.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:44 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:52 AM
wink

i am neutral towards coldplay. all i know is that they are waaay better than what i hear on the radio. that doesnt say alot though.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:48 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:52 PM
cate is great
that was a poem once
Old 09-07-2002, 03:49 AM   #28
Kid A

i disagree too, but what am I supposed to say, but actually enjoy watching hewitt play more than anyone else right now because of his intensity and all-out effort, somebody was complaining on tv the other day about how hewitt is "boring," well I don't know what exactly people are looking for, well yes I do, same people that gushed over Roddick...

coldplay is a good band, but they are sorta like agassi here, wait till they go up against someone real good
Old 09-07-2002, 03:54 AM   #29
New Yorker

That's the problem though, Coldplay aren't facing any stern examination of their skill! There is no Lleyton Hewitt in the music industry.

At least one famous interferencer thinks that Roddick is the man, despite his craptacular display yesterday.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:03 AM   #30
Kid A

I was thinking about what you said about Roddick before, do you see him headed down the Pousi/Rusedski path? I know people will also think of Ivanisevic, but he DID win a Grand Slam, and if there was no Pete and Andre to knock him out of Slams in every one of his semis and/or finals, he may have won several more (what was it, I think 6 times in semis or finals to one of those two players)

man, I have to get some rest, Bubba will be back tomorrow with quotes from those UN weapon's inspectors, this thread may be moved to PUP or FYM by the time I awaken...

Tags
coldplay