"Mercy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you shout...

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Which band's "Mercy" do you prefer--the far superior song on Wire's 1978 masterpiece, Chairs Missing, or U2's also great, unreleased song from a few years back?

Discuss.

Apples and oranges, man. Apples and oranges.

I was actually just listening to Chairs Missing earlier today. Coincidence? Great minds..? :wink:

Honestly though, I really like both songs. They're very different though, so I see little reason to compare them. But hell, if this thread gets more people to check out Wire because of it, then I'm all for it. :yes:

Wire's "Mercy" certainly isn't as immediately accessible as U2's "Mercy," but you get a lot out of it with repeated listenings (like most of Wire's stuff, IMO). Chairs Missing is a really great post-punk (I guess you'd call it that) album, but I'm not totally sure how I'd rank it with the rest of Wire's work that I've heard (Pink Flag and 154 certainly give it a good run for its money).

If you're looking for some more accessible classic Wire, I'd go with "Outdoor Miner" or "I Am the Fly" off of Chairs Missing, or maybe "Map Ref. 41N 93W" off of 154 (as a side note, My Bloody Valentine did an amazing cover of this song, and I really encourage anyone who's a fan of either band to seek it out - it's really great).

Mmm. Wire. :drool:

Man, fuck this. This thread is not dying, damn it. Weigh in, people. You've all got access to Slsk. Do some leg-work, for fuck's sake!

Back
Top Bottom