Mercury Rev- The Secret Migration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I'll review as I listen.

#1- Secret For A Song

Big opener. All the ambiance is there. Nice piano. Bass funky, not jazzy. Harmonies:drool: Big chorus. And guitars. Good guitars. Very dramatic. Extended guitar solo.

They haven't been this direct in years. Nice change from the last 2 records.

#2- Across Yer Ocean

Very funky when it kicks in. Piano notes drip. Shuffle beat played w/ brushes. Kinda funky/dreamy. Hollow-body guitar solo. Twang.

#3- Diamonds

Electric piano playing chimey pattern. Puncuated by piano chord. Reminds me alot of "Hope" by REM. Extended break. Moog solo?

#4- Black Forrest

Steady piano intro. Again, bass is based in funk. Mid paced, then crashes of piano and guitar chords into the chorus. Slide guitar weaves in and out. Another entended guitar sole. Nice. Piano and guitar playing same solo. Good harmonies as the solo crashes.

#5- Vermillion

Big drum beat. Another piano pattern. Steady guitar chords build. Faster song. Urgent. Guitars take over. Big high note solo. Drop out. Singer sings about birds, and the guitar player does an Edge type "sea gull" guitar sound. Sounds like Doves. Beat driven strum rock.

#6- In the Wilderness

Acrobat's drum beat, but 2x the BPM. Pop tune. Wired guitars, piercing keys. Nice, good sun song. Ends on piano chord.

#7-In A Funny Way

Big Spector like drums and beat. A musical Beach Boys tribute. There's an REM song like this? Twang arpeggios. Another guitar solo. Strings and high vocals for a GREAT bridge.

#8- My Love

Big snare. Single vocal. Love song :der:. Nice low piano notes. Sweeping beat. String build. Another hollowbody guitar solo, very dignified.

#10- The Climbing Rose

Building ensembel of drums and piano and guitar treatments. Snappy beat. Ahhhh! it turns around into a great rolling chorus wih screaching guitars. Nice, the chorus is uplifting, and they're rolling with it. Going up a full step for the final chorus, that old trick!

#11- Arise

Pounding toms. Then a big guitar prechorus. A tease? More toms and tension. Prechorus. Instrumental break. Wild guitars. Drop out, more guitar pyros.

#12- First-Time Mothers Joy (Flying)

Piano intro. Quite. Nice vocal chorus. Great vocal melody. A slide guitar moves in and out. Reminding me of the 2nd 1/2 of Layla. Counter melody vocals. That's what it is. Mercury Rev doing the 2nd 1/2 of Layla by Eric Clapton.

#13- Down Poured the Heavens

MLK styled keys. Piano and vocals. A verse then piano and squeal guitar. Done in 1:30. Kinda sucky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom