Mercury Rev

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
I've been listening to Deserter's Songs a heck of a lot the past week. What an album. Anyone else like these guys? I haven't got All Is Dream or any of their earlier stuff but I will make the investment someday...

I was one foot away from Jonathan one year ago. His spittle landed on my ex's face. And you know whad? He looks bewitching in person, as if he lounges around with joss sticks at home and could easily cast a spell on you.

foray

I really want to get Deserters Songs. I very rarely hear some of their music on the radio, and it does impress me.

I totally forgot about this group. I listened to their album on a listening display at Borders when it first came out. I liked it.

I'll have to try to remember about them. So many groups, so little time.

All Is Dream isn't as full-bodied in comparison to Deserter's Songs. Still, I prefer the former. If you're looking for earlier stuff, I wouldn't recommend the ones where they had that other singer. He was trying to push the band into a heavy metal type direction, I think, while the others wanted more orchestral sounds ala All Is Dream. So, you can really sense the tension and struggle between these two styles on the early albums... It makes for tiring listening. Also, that guy's singing really sucked goats.

foray

Yes fors their career up to Deserter's Songs was really quite puzzling, although from what I've read they never really began as a band, rather they got together to write scores for some of their college film projects. One complaint I have, in Australia at least, I've never seen their albums at anything under about $25, a combination of popularity/conservative cd pressings perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom