Men or Women. Who are the better lyricists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
On average who are better lyricists: men or women?

Fiona Apple, Kate Bush, Janis Joplin, Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Jewel, Stevie Nicks, Joni Mitchell and so on...

vs.

Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Roger Waters, Sting, David Bowie, Neil Young, Jim Morrison and so on...

Discuss.

Men, without question.

Still, I think that the "average" female singer almost unfailingly has a better voice with which to deliver her lyrics than does a man to deliver his own. A lot of (especially rock) singers get a lot of credit for basically having terrible voices, and I think that that's worth pointing out. I have come greatly to prefer reading the words of male lyricists rather than hearing them, as a rule; accordingly, I listen to a lot more female-fronted tunes, these days, than I used to.

...Anyway, the men have T.S. Eliot in their corner (not to mention Shakespeare), and that kinda seals the deal...

If you shout... said:
...Anyway, the men have T.S. Eliot in their corner (not to mention Shakespeare), and that kinda seals the deal...
i don't think that 'seals the deal' as historically women didn't have the same access to education as men did, nor were publishers amenable to printing and distributing anything written by a woman. so yes, men may have a historical advantage, but it's an unfair comparison in that respect.

as for the original question, it may depend on the listener. being a female, i tend to identify more with lyrics written by females. i'm not saying i haven't been blown away by lyrics written by males--most of my favourite bands are predominantly male or have male songwriters, and this is a u2 message board, so keep that in mind when you're tallying up the results as well. but many of the lyrics that have real personal meaning for me (patty griffin, tori amos, etc.) are written by females.

not sure if this really answers your question. all i'm really trying to say is that i think it's subjective.

Men, just because Morrissey is a male. :wink:

Some sheilas have some pretty decent lyrics though (Lily, Alanis, Dolores, Billie:wink:)

The men are winning simply because we have a head start (damn sexist society) but the women are closing the gap.

Joni Mitchell alone counts for 80% of male lyricists... That woman writes so well it makes my head hurt just trying to comprehend where she comes up with some of her lyrics...

Definitely men so far. Though women tend to be better vocalists.

But given time, who knows.

But as of right now:

Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen etc.

My favorite lyricist lately is Nicky Wire, frock-wearing bassist of the Manic Street Preachers. So I guess that's a vote for men and women. :wink:

elevated_u2_fan said:

Joni Mitchell alone counts for 80% of male lyricists... That woman writes so well it makes my head hurt just trying to comprehend where she comes up with some of her lyrics...
:yes: :hug:

Maybe in general women are still expected to look better than men are in the music business, so you could have many women who are great writers who just will never get a shot in mainstream music because they don't have certain looks/a certain look. Of course obviously there are very good looking women who are also very good songwriters.

But I don't think talent for songwriting has anything to do with gender.

It's a bit of a silly question really, as Mrs Springsteen said songwriting is nothing to do with gender....it is a male dominated world still in music, so naturally people will know more great male lyricists...but there are plenty of great women lyricists...

I imagine if there were equal amounts of female and male songwriters you would have equal amounts of good and bad in both genders.

I generally like male lyricists more than female ones. I also tend to like more male singers better than female singers. Just a matter of personal preference really.

My favourite lyricists - Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Jarvis Cocker, Morrissey to name a few - are all male. There are a few female lyricists I like as well, but they're definitely outweighed by males.

david said:
Men, but only because women inspire them to write so well.

That's very beautiful to say...

My favourite lyricists are male, but that's mainly because I listen a lot more to male singers than females. I preffer the male voice, I always have.

Back
Top Bottom