Men At Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Any Men At Work fans out there? Colin Hay, their lead singer is on tour in the States now and I was thinking of checking one of his shows out. Does anyone here have the 3rd and final Men At Work album "Two Hearts"? Its been out of print for over a decade. I'd like to get a copy.

beli said:

Thats the one that makes me cringe the most. I guess its different if you arent Australian.

Understandable.

Oddly enough though, I lived in Japan with an Austrialian for about 4 months who loved that song.

beli,

Went on a Bus Tour with all Australians of Northern Ireland and I remember them getting everyone to sing Down Under multiple times in the Pubs.

My cousin is a recording engineer on Colin Hay's current tour. And yes, I have to admit that Men at Work's Business as Usual was the first album I ever owned. I guess that dates me but oh well. Possibly the first symptom of my Australia fetish.

This is VERIFIABLY the first and last thread of STING2's that i will ever reply to ever again.

When I was little and used to spend every Friday night at my grandparents' house, my bro and I would always demand that they would play their album and we would dance to it for hours. I just heard "cargo" today and was all excited...guess i still haven't gotten over my men at work love affair :sexywink:

Calluna,

"This is VERIFIABLY the first and last thread of STING2's that i will ever reply to ever again."

Why would you make a statement like that?

Angela Harlem,

They had several singles.

Down Under
Who Can it Be Now
Be Good Johnny

Overkill
Its A Mistake
Dr. Heckyl And Mr. Jive

Angela Harlem said:
Did they have other singles?

Unfortunately yes. The Down Under one was the 'best' of the bunch. They all had that annoying brassy instrument noise. They were pretty huge in the US back then and, rightfully, almost ignored here.

sorry STING2. Actually thats one of the minor reasons I didnt like em was because the lead singer sounded like a bad Sting ripoff.

**cass glows**

STING2 said:

Down Under
Who Can it Be Now
Be Good Johnny
Overkill
Its A Mistake
Dr. Heckyl And Mr. Jive

that list brings back nice memories**warm fuzzy**
I'm not sure what Men At Work albums we have. I'll look for that one Sting2. I think you should go to Colin's show.

PS: I sat in on some of band rehearsal yesterday and they did "down under"...I thought the singer got it all wrong unfortunately.**cringe**

Cass,

When you say you sat in on "some of the band rehearsal yesterday" which band are you talking about?

Let me know if you have a copy of that "Two Hearts" album that is now out of print.

Beli,

Men At Work's debut album hit the #1 spot in Australia for 10 weeks straight back in 1981/1982. Their 10 week run at #1 set a record back then for the most weeks at #1 by and album. I would say they were equally popular in Australia if not more so during the early 1980s.

Men At Work's 3rd and final album was not popular anywhere though and as a result is now out of print. That album came out in 1985 and only featured 3 of the original 5 bandmembers including Colin Hay the lead singer.

Beli,

I do agree that Men At Work do copy a lot of the Police's style of music prior to the Ghost In the Machine album, but thats more of a complement to the Police than a negative. A bit like early Stone Temple Pilots sounds like early Pearl Jam.

Who Can it Be Now
Be Good Johnny

I forgot about these 2. Thanks Beli and STING. The others I am not sure I've heard or not. They probably are, but like most bad memories, I've blocked them out lol.

The 80's. Time of many one hit wonders or the case of one song overshadowing all others by any given artist/band/singer. Down Under being prime example. At least in my memory.
:wink:

Funny that this thread should be here as I only bought a copy of 'Business as usual' just late last year and it is just a great album- be good johnny, is a gem of a song and the whole album is, as the sticker on the cd cover said, a classic!!!!!!!!!

I think all of the other Aussies in this thread are all being a bit too harsh, I personally love Down Under, come on, any song that mentions vegemite and has a flute solo, is tops in my book......

and on a side note, I saw Colin Hay live, just him and his guitar about four years ago at a folk festival and he was great, I would reccomend seeing him live, if only for the acoustic version of Down Under:wink:

I have long suspected this is the reason why foreigners don't like vegemite. It's beauty is in it's application. THINLY as Beli said. It ain't jam people!
And yeah Oz, you are right, its one of those jukebox classics that people secretly love but won't ever admit to.

beli said:
Yep, they are the vegimite guys.

Vegemite is good just spread it THINLY. Its not designed to be spread like peanut butter. Tastes better with cheddar cheese.

Thanks, one more item for the grocery list. I'll try anything once, twice if I'm drunk.

Business As Usual is a great album, but I actually like Cargo better. Does anyone have the out of print "Two Hearts" album?

Well I'm not sure why but it seems to me that a lot of the time people don't like artists from their own countries.

I do it myself.

Honestly its nothing against the artist - it just happens that way.

Tall poppy syndrome? :scratch:

I like bands from my own country eg INXS, Trent Humphreys. I even own a Delta cd. I just dont like Men at Work. I find their music abrasive and I detest all that chessy Australian sterotypes eg Down Under song, Paul Hogan with his Sydney accent pretending to be from the outback, that kinda of thing. :madspit:

Hunters & Collectors
INXS
Crowded House
Hoodoo Gurus
Boom Crash Opera
The Cruel Sea (to an extent)
Killing Heidi (to an extent)
Spiderbait (to an extent)
and so on....
/mental blank
Many of these 80's and somewhat daggy, but all Aussie and all bands I like.

Angela Harlem said:
Hunters & Collectors
INXS
Crowded House
Hoodoo Gurus
Boom Crash Opera
The Cruel Sea (to an extent)
Killing Heidi (to an extent)
Spiderbait (to an extent)
and so on....
/mental blank
Many of these 80's and somewhat daggy, but all Aussie and all bands I like.

What about Midnight Oil and Kylie ?

Boom Crash Opera :lmao:

I have them on records somewhere - and I mean RECORD as in LP. And what about Bear Garden, I have them too :lmao:

And I have the Hoodoos, Crowded House and the Hunters. etc. Its actually difficult to remember which music is Australian as apart from Men at Work and Cold Chisel (got them too) and Icehouse (and them) most songs dont make locational referecences.

fah said:

What about Midnight Oil and Kylie ?

What about 'em :|

Belis List of Most Hated Songs

1. Midnight Oil - US Forces get the nod... blah blah
2. Joe Jackson - the song where hes stretched all the syllables to make the lines rhyme. yoooouuu ooooooo oooooooo uuuuuuuuuu
3. Men at Work - Down Under

STING2 said:
Cass,
When you say you sat in on "some of the band rehearsal yesterday" which band are you talking about?
Let me know if you have a copy of that "Two Hearts" album that is now out of print.
sorry Sting2, we don't have that album, but I'll look for it in my perusal of 2nd hand music stores. My hub's cover's band is doing "Down Under"...don't shoot him, he's only the bass player:D
The singer/guitarist chooses the repertoire.
Aussie rock:up:

Back
Top Bottom