MEN AND CATS - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Okay - everyone knows there's a huge social stigma with men and cats. Many men seem to believe the cat is not a viable pet for a "real man."

Why is this? Let's discuss.

And try to keep it nice - those of you who hate cats for your own reasons. All the men (and they are REAL MEN) I know own several cats and do not like dogs.

I want to hear from ALL of you.

I have a cat and a dog and I'm as manly as they come. Which animal one prefers has got nothing to do with masculinity unless you're talking about horses. No real man can like horses.

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I grew up with a father that hated cats. I never cared too much either way until I started dating my current girlfriend. She has a cat and I've grown to appreciate it's personality and, don't sigh....curiousity. In many ways cats are better pets. They constantly groom themselves, mind their own business when you're in a bad mood, cheer you up when you're sad (don't ask me how they do it), and are born housebroken.
Dogs are sweet, but tend to be obnoxious at the wrong times. I've had both as pets and I like them both equally.
I think the reason there's a stigma against men and cats is because cats inhibit grace, poise, and decipline. Things that the "alpha-male" try to reject.

Come to think of it, I have never met anyone who said men are supposed to dislike cats. Who told you this crap????

What Sula said. I like cats. Have three of them in the house, although I like our dog better. Maybe if the cats shed less...

I think maybe part of the macho aspect is that you can't really control a cat like you can a dog. Cats are much more independent minded, and so you're not going to find too many cats submitting to stupid tricks like opening a fridge or bringing the owner a beer. And you know, us macho guys want control over everything, so if we can't get it over a cat, it must not be very macho to have a cat.

That's my little theory. Cats are cool regardless. I've dozed off on the couch and woken up with all three cats curled up either next to me or on me (legs and chest). Plus it's fun to watch them chase each other through the house, run after laser pointers like possessed animals, and dart from room to room late at night for no apparent reason. And there's something soothing about a cat's purr too - at least when they find the RIGHT time to snuggle, instead of when you're in the middle of typing an email or doing work at your desk. and don't need a ball of fur interrupting you.

My 2+ cents.

Originally posted by DrTeeth:
Come to think of it, I have never met anyone who said men are supposed to dislike cats. Who told you this crap????

Many people through the years have imparted this to me.

Also, if you notice, there are hardly ever any pictures of men with cats in magazines, or men with cats in movies other than the Godfather, Meet the Parents and Austin Powers.

I'm just saying this anti man&cat belief is omnipresent in the USA. It's comforting to think it is not so prevalent in the ROW.

LOL. Just wait til DB9 comes in here. He can say a mouthful about men and cats.

Ms Hello-
Didnt we have this discussion about these damn little mooches, already in Las Vegas?

Anyway Diemen summed it up well.
And my little girls' cat (at their Mom's) had kittens, so Ive softened my position abit.
See that you tell no one this.
Thank You-
Diamond

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Ms Hello-
Didnt we have this discussion about these damn little mooches, already in Las Vegas?

Anyway Diemen summed it up well.
And my little girls' cat (at their Mom's) had kittens, so Ive softened my position abit.
See that you tell no one this.
Thank You-
Diamond

HOLY GAZONGAS!!

Diamond has softened his position on kitties?!!

Damn. I need a stiff drink to sink that one in.

(((((big ass bear hug to Diamond)))))

Originally posted by Diemen:
I think maybe part of the macho aspect is that you can't really control a cat like you can a dog. Cats are much more independent minded, and so you're not going to find too many cats submitting to stupid tricks like opening a fridge or bringing the owner a beer. And you know, us macho guys want control over everything, so if we can't get it over a cat, it must not be very macho to have a cat.

And THAT, my friend, is why some men have a problem with not just cats but with relationships at large. Control! Yes, I think you're on to something with that theory. Macho sucks anyways.
tongue.gif

That's why I prefer controlling women over cats. You can teach them more tricks plus they can carry more beer!

biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by Danospano:
I grew up with a father that hated cats....

Danospano,

I know what you mean. My dad hated cats, and for I while I thought I did not like them.
But, then one day I thought to myself, why harbor ill will to this little animal?
Is kitty not one of God?s creatures?
Have I been conditioned not to give the kitty fair shake?
I felt bad. I was ashamed.
The kitty did not deserve my ill will.
Now, I like all the little animals, and they like me.
Cats is cats and dogs is dogs.

Life is good!

I have known a suspicious number of men who are allergic to cats. I have always wondered about this... only because I can't think of one woman I've known who is allergic to cats. I'm sure they're out there, but...yeah, it's that macho control thing.

Cats rule.

Originally posted by deep:

Danospano,

I know what you mean. My dad hated cats, and for I while I thought I did not like them.
But, then one day I thought to myself, why harbor ill will to this little animal?
Is kitty not one of God?s creatures?
Have I been conditioned not to give the kitty fair shake?
I felt bad. I was ashamed.
The kitty did not deserve my ill will.
Now, I like all the little animals, and they like me.
Cats is cats and dogs is dogs.

Life is good!

I am charmed by Mr. Deep's response.

And what's this thing girls/women have with horses? Is that all about control too?

Well, according to the legends of Catherine the Great...oh, never mind.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
REAL men can admit to liking cats.

That's what I have to say.

But they would be gay.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

And what's this thing girls/women have with horses? Is that all about control too?

I think it is to do with the size of their cocks.

*looks around* it's that way to the exit, isn't it?
biggrin.gif

Wow!

The guys have very interesting things to say about this!

There's nothing that warms my heart more than seeing my boyfriend cuddling with his cat on the couch.
It's the sweetest thing!!
smile.gif

As for horses - they scare the crap out of me!
eek.gif

I really think that a lot of guys raised in household that 'hated cats' just never gave them a chance, and if forced to be around them will like them. My Dad and husband are examples of that. Most people can't tell you why they hate them, they 'just do' which sucks. If you really get to know them, they are precious, sweet purring machines. I love mine dearly. My husband really doesn't like animals but he tolerates them. I can't stand to hear about them being hurt and abused. I also think cats are so unfairly judged and mistreated by some who don't know what the hell they are talking about. I wish I could start a cat protection charity.

Of course, cats, like dogs, and humans, all have their own ways and personalities and some are more likeable than others
wink.gif
Still if one does turn out to be a problem it isn't fair to hold it against all cats, like it's not to say you hate all humans because some are asses.

I have known some men who loved cats because of their independence and alooftness and their no shit attitude, and some of the tough toms who kick ass for being cool. I just wish everyone would give them a chance.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-16-2002).]

I love cats. They are like girls. And I love girls who are like cats. So independent! Style.

Back
Top Bottom