Memento

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diogenes

The Fly
great movie, even better dvd-- anyone else seen the movie or have the dvd?

I would really like to talk about it maybe get a better understanding of what really is going on. As well as your theories on the end, or the begining, or whatever!

Well, Im a big fan of Memento, and Christopher Nolan in general.

I have the DVD and have seen the film about 6 times, I usually pick up something each time. As far as the plot and summarizing what happens is open to interpretation.

Is Leonard faking? How do we explain the shot of him with his wife and he has all the tatoos? And the shot of him in the mental hospital?

I have my own theories, what are yours????

-remember sammy jankis

I watched that show this summer with my gf, she really liked it. I'm not sure what I thought about it. Interesting.

great movie. great setup...at the end...when he's putting it all together...it flashes a picture of him and it shows on his chest, where right over his heart it says something like "i got him"...:shrug: :)...

From what I remember about the movie - and remember theorizing on - Leonard was a hired hitman for the agency Teddy worked for bc of his memory loss. So Teddy would keep pumping him full of clues, etc.. to get him to kill people who were "wanted."

I dunno. :confused: It's late. I have a cold, and I'm on Nyquil. :lol: :crack:

Night. :wave:

Sicy said:
Great movie. I've seen it 3 times but I'm still all :confused: lol.

lol. Me too. I really should rent it or something so I can watch it again.

I've heard of people watching the scenes in backwards order so it makes more sense, but that just sounds like cheating to me. :shame: ;)

SPOILERS!!!

just just as confused as everyone else. I've seen the movie now 8 times in the "standard release" version and twice in the "chronological order" version.

And I can tell you right now, I haven't the slightest idea what is going on!

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

My theory is that Lenard (through repitition) realizes that the only way he can "live" is by having a cause, having an ever lasting "John G." or else he will just be roaming the earth endlessly wondering when the last time he used the jon was. Anyways, all kidding aside, so he creates these situations where he can keep on "living" the only way he knows how.

Further more I think that there was no jenkins, I think that the real story is as "Teddy" told it at the end of the movie, or the middle of the storyline, or hte beginging of the script.....whatever!!! :scream:

I beleive Teddy's story becuase it makes the most sense, there is definate proof that Shelby has killed people before, and there is definate proof that Teddy knows all about it. Also by the end it is quite clear that the whole thing about killing teddy was brought about by Natalie.....who I thought (the first time throught the movie) was the good oen trying to help good ol' lenny

anyways, that's my take...or at least all i can remember about my take on the the movie, let's hear yours! :no:

aside: has anyone checked out the Memento site, it's as intreeging as the movie check it out HERE

(notice the web address is memento backwards...kwazy eh! :yes: )

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

lol. Me too. I really should rent it or something so I can watch it again.

I've heard of people watching the scenes in backwards order so it makes more sense, but that just sounds like cheating to me. :shame: ;)

Not cheating! :wink:

Just trying to get an "edge" on idea behind the movie. :)

i watched memento many moons ago, and i must say that after viewing it the first time, i was feeling rather pissed off and frustrated--mainly because the person i was watching it with (who had already seen it several times himself) wanted to test me by not telling me a single thing about the movie and in turn, see what sort of interpretations i could come up with on my own. the ass could have at least informed me that i needed to put my thinking cap on prior to watching it (note: for some reason, i'm usually in a lethargic state whenever i choose to watch movies :shrug: )

..anyway, i haven't had a chance to view it again, but these are some of the conclusions i came to after watching it; don't ask me how i arrived at them, because the movie is not fresh in my mind:

*i came to believe that teddy actually felt some sort of deep-rooted empathy towards leonard in terms of what "supposedly" happened to his wife, his incapacity to retain memories, and his "need" to have revenge against his wife's "supposed" killer. having said that, teddy is obviously a corrupt man at the same time. he uses leonard's predicament and his sympathy for leonard to both of their advantages: teddy more or less uses leonard as a "hit man" while at the same time, leonard is given something to live for--avenging his wife's killer. so in this sense, yes, teddy would have been telling the truth towards the end of the movie. there is one thing however that i think maybe teddy intentionally failed to expand on: he tells leonard that his wife's killer had already been caught...or something along those lines. in saying this, i beleive that perhaps teddy knows something more...and that is, that leonard is actually responsible for his own wife's death (my second theory). of course he doesn't let on that he is aware of this when appealing to leonard at the end of the movie.

*leonard was literally his own wife's "killer"--apparently the result of his inability to retain memories. his wife actually survived that initial attack in their home that kept being alluded to. many people are led to believe that his wife died at that point. yet, there is one instance in the movie, where, for a brief moment, we see her eye opening while still wrapped with the shower curtain following the attack. it can be inferred that she survives that violent attack, but still, leonard is left with a memory related condition. throughout the movie, we see leonard piecing together a particular story concerning a guy (ironically afflicted with a similar memory condition as leonard) and his diabetic wife. the diabetic wife is at her wit's end (unable to receive compensation via the insurance company leonard works for) and doesn't quite know whether to believe that her husband actually has a valid memory condition or not; so she more or less risks her own life in order to find out the truth. seemingly unaware of what he is doing, the husband ends up injecting his wife with her medication numerous times, and as a result, she dies. well, in my opinion, this "insurance-related anecdote" is actually the story of leonard and his diabetic wife. at some point, leonard, as a result of the memory condition he sustained following the attack in their home, ends up overmedicating and killing his own wife. we discover leonard's wife has some sort of medical condition wherin she needs some sort of injection (within one of leonard's brief memories relating to himself and wife, the audience sees leonard and his wife laughing, followed closely by leonard helping to inject a shot for his wife). you must watch very closely for this scene--it is extremely brief.

....so there's my take on some aspects of the movie. again, i've only seen it once; perhaps i'll have another take on it when i go and watch it a couple more times.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a quick theory that I havent heard anyone else say yet. Its in regards to the tatoo "Ive Done it" on Leonards chest that we only see once in a quick shot at the end of the film.

Two other times I think this comes into play. First, at Natalies house, when in front of the mirror she points to that part of his chest and says...."whats this one for?" and hes says, "maybe thats for when I find him". hmmmmmm
Second, is the polaroid that Teddy slips under his door at the motel which is a shot of him after he killed the attacker the first time (according to Teddy). He is pointing to the same part of his chest and smiling.

SO, my theory is that we see the film through the minds eye of Leonard, and he has blocked that out to continue his hunt for John G, like in the end when it is discussed that he lies to himself to be happy, I think this applies.

Thoughts???

I've seen it once, on VCD. I'd love to get a copy of the DVD, but the Code 3 one that is usable in my region has only subtitle and scene selection. The movie was excellent though, although I haven't given much thought to it (ie. I'm stumped).

I did like it and understood it but it is type of movie that is suppose to leave you hanging and guessing. I was however pissed when it ended. I wigged out. I watched the DVD with my grandma. I was saying stuff like " Oh hell not that is not the ending." "wth?" and things of that nature, but after I calmed down and thought about it, it made sense to do it like that.

Elvis Presley said:
SO, my theory is that we see the film through the minds eye of Leonard, and he has blocked that out to continue his hunt for John G, like in the end when it is discussed that he lies to himself to be happy, I think this applies.

I also think that he knowingly lies to himself. "but how" you say "you see he's got this condition..." ( ). Anyways, all kidding aside, as he explains in the movie (Leonard AND teddy both say this) he has a different kind of memory disorder than Sammy. He can learn through habit. So I'd like to submit this: he has killed more than once, and through that repetition he has learned that he MUST lie to himself in order to continue living.

However, just to put a spin on it to make everyone have a break down; what if he doesn't want to kill anymore, and realizes after repetition that the only way out of it is to kill teddy? This would also make sense, seeing that teddy is the one giving him his "evidence".

I dunno, I just confused myself there.

Anyone else have any way out take on the movie? (or on my theories)

aside: this is why I love the movie, it lives on even after you've finished watching it in the conversations!

Last edited:
Diogenes said:

I also think that he knowingly lies to himself. "but how" you say "you see he's got this condition..." ( ). Anyways, all kidding aside, as he explains in the movie (Leonard AND teddy both say this) he has a different kind of memory disorder than Sammy. He can learn through habit. So I'd like to submit this: he has killed more than once, and through that repetition he has learned that he MUST lie to himself in order to continue living.

However, just to put a spin on it to make everyone have a break down; what if he doesn't want to kill anymore, and realizes after repetition that the only way out of it is to kill teddy? This would also make sense, seeing that teddy is the one giving him his "evidence".

I dunno, I just confused myself there.

Anyone else have any way out take on the movie? (or on my theories)

aside: this is why I love the movie, it lives on even after you've finished watching it in the conversations!

I think that when he says "he learns through repitition" he means his screwed up note and picture system. Which obviously has major flaws. And I think that Teddy was only one of many to use Lenny to kill or harm others, Im just not sure why the cops never found out.............did Teddy carry that much weight down at headquarters???

I think the idea that you are pushed to accept is that the police really don't care if a known drug dealer gets killed, I think they may have even said that in the movie. My memeory grows dim.

Back
Top Bottom