Melbourne Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timothius

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It's finally here. The best day of November. Melbourne Cup day. :hyper:

I will feverishly work through the form guides tonight to give you all some choice tips to go and place your hard earned on tommorow.

In the meantime discuss.

An excuse for stupid people to wear stupid hats and stupidly stand in the rain drinking and getting even more stupid.

Otherwise I have no opinion.
:|

I predict the winning horse will have a jockey on its back.

I am not australian, but I am pulling for your wonder mare, Makabye Diva to win again. I wish she would come over here to the states and give our top males a trouncing.:heart:

my mother spent 30 minutes in the TAB today. i should have asked her who she backed. her and my church going nan always win. i'd go the trifecta on yours, tania.
:up:

I'd also like to predict that more than one horse will start.

Angela Harlem said:
my mother spent 30 minutes in the TAB today. i should have asked her who she backed. her and my church going nan always win. i'd go the trifecta on yours, tania.
:up:

:hmm: Not a bad idea.

*Goes to let moths out :D*

Tania said:
You're really going out on a limb there Axver :lol:

Well, I'd like to be really daring now and say that I think the horses will, at one point or another, touch grass.

makybediva.jpg

I'm so glad she won. What a horse!!!!

This is unbelievable. I bet you Aussies are proud, as you should be. To be honest, I am jealous. You guys truly are blessed to have such a wonderful mare.:heart:

It's such a big deal to me, because here in the states, we don't breed females like that. We have had some good ones, lately like Azeri, but none that could compete with males and beat them consistantly let alone do a feat that no other horse has done before. Her winning the Melbourne Cup three times would be like a mare coming and taking the Breeder's Cup Classic three times.

Makybe diva has just been retired by her owners....sad....co i would love her have raced in the dubai and japan cups......

by the way....

where is the Breeders cup raced?

how does the Kentucky derby rate worldwide.....?

Mr Gloria said:
Makybe diva has just been retired by her owners....sad....co i would love her have raced in the dubai and japan cups......

by the way....

where is the Breeders cup raced?

how does the Kentucky derby rate worldwide.....?

The Breeder's Cup is in America. It just happened on Sat the 29. Every year there's a different host track, but it's always held in North America.

The Kentucky Derby is a pretty major race, no doubt. It does have some worldwide prestige. I know Europeans try to come over and win it. It's the biggest in America (with the breeder's cup trailing after) but as for the biggest in the world, I would say no.

Also can I ask what type of race is the Breeders Cup?

Just reflecting now... every few years there comes a horse who the Australian public idolises, I'm thinking names like Octagonal, Might & Power, Kingston Rule... but they never got mentioned in the same breath as "Australia's 2nd greatest athlete" Phar Lap. Rightfully so too, Phar Lap is the greatest ever Race horse that has ever lived. But I find these "greater than Phar Lap" comments made by Freidman & the Comm team a little bit over the top.

As indigo tree said Makybe Diva is fantastic for a mare! Best Australia has ever seen, but if I see or hear anymore comparisons to Phar Lap again I will puke.

I should elaborate more on the BC. It's a series of races that happen on one day, 8 to be exact. It's simply a day where horses from all around the world come to compete with one another. There are of course, different divisons, all at different distances and surfaces. It all culminates in the $4 million Breeder's Cup Classic. It's a 1 1/4 on dirt, 3 year olds and up, males and females. Of course the Diva would have done better in one of the turf races.:wink:

timothius said:
Also can I ask what type of race is the Breeders Cup?

Just reflecting now... every few years there comes a horse who the Australian public idolises, I'm thinking names like Octagonal, Might & Power, Kingston Rule... but they never got mentioned in the same breath as "Australia's 2nd greatest athlete" Phar Lap. Rightfully so too, Phar Lap is the greatest ever Race horse that has ever lived. But I find these "greater than Phar Lap" comments made by Freidman & the Comm team a little bit over the top.

As indigo tree said Makybe Diva is fantastic for a mare! Best Australia has ever seen, but if I see or hear anymore comparisons to Phar Lap again I will puke.

Don't forget Northerly, Kingston Town and the mighty Manikato (who I got to strap for when I was just a little tyke).

Though I agree, it's going to take a special horse to beat Phar Lap.

WOW! I did really well with my picks!

Axver said:
A horse will win.

Correct!

Axver said:
I predict the winning horse will have a jockey on its back.

Also correct!

Axver said:
I'd also like to predict that more than one horse will start.

Another one correct!

Axver said:
Well, I'd like to be really daring now and say that I think the horses will, at one point or another, touch grass.

Yes! A sensationally well picked four out of four!

Where can I collect my winnings?

Back
Top Bottom