Melbourne Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
Fyuckin horses.

exactly what i was going to say. :grumpy:

last night, i was going to put a place on that jeune nag as it's name reminded me of benny and joon. but noooooooo.

:mad:

shoulda followed axver's advice :lol:

look out, I'm moved in mysterious ways and wanna say a few words

In the past I've been involved in using Melbourned Cup Day as a way to raise funds for various organisations. This year I was at home on my lonesome with my little TV and packet of crisps.
( not hat, but I do have a new pair of sparkly flip flops)

I was watching the coverage of the race. I love looking at horses and those thoroughbreds are turned out so nicely on race day. It was good to see the parade of past winners, in particular Sub Zero :heart:
It is obvious Makybe Diva is a well-loved horse by any one who has connections with her. During the race she had her ears back listening to her rider. Glenn Boss has ridden her to all 3 of her Melbourne Cup victories. After the race through his tears of joy he said "before the race she was a bit hoppy, so I gave her a pat and said "woo darlin', woo mum" and she settled right down"

Boy did that get my tears flowing. He called her "mum". SO precious. Horses are very specail creatures and to sense the bond between them was very moving. I usually find horse-racing a bit distressing , I worry about the welfare of the horses. But it obvious the Diva loves her day at the races, she was head up almost smiling at the crowd.
I felt sorry for the Irish jockey of the Irish horse Vinnie Roe. He said his mount worked his heart out and it was so hot out there he almost collapsed after the race. It seems all eyes were on the Diva.

and eyes in far-flung places. It was so heart-warming to read someone else was watching the race at home on telly.

A city, a nation — and Bono — celebrate
By Andrew Eddy
November 2, 2005 The Age newspaper

"THE telephone rang for Lee Freedman. If bad news travels fast, great news, it seems, can travel faster and further.
It was Bono on the line.
As a nation celebrated Makybe Diva's Melbourne Cup hat-trick, the mare's trainer was not short of backslappers.
But even Freedman was shocked when he was handed a telephone in Flemington's Birdcage and told that the lead singer of the Irish supergroup was on the line after watching the race at home in Ireland.
"I've been a fan since I was a kid and it was wonderful to speak to him," said Freedman. "He said he wants to come out and see the Diva when he's next here. It was great fun."
A crowd of 106,479 watched the Diva make history at Flemington, and millions on television, as Australians wagered a massive $143 million on the race at TABs alone. Plenty collected on the people's favourite. They included a contingent of Australian troops in Iraq, as Freedman learnt from another telephone call soon after.
"It was all quite sobering," he said. "The boys in Iraq listened to the race. I told them they were doing a great job and they said that everyone there to a man had backed her. It just makes you think that this is something that will not sink in for a while. The impact of it is enormous."
Freedman's brother Richard was happy to divulge some private information about his older brother, saying he knew only three things: Shakespeare, U2 and horse racing. Would Lee indulge all his passions on cup day? Richard said: "He's spoken to Bono, had something of a memorable day at the races — and I think the Shakespeare will come tonight."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/horse-racing

Bono and his telephone calls :D
"He said he wants to come out and see the Diva when he's next here.."
I hope that is soon and I hope he brings his band...unless he'd just like to slip in quietly and come and camp on my place before they put a freeway through it. Hurry Up Bono!
So yes, it is a marvellous story
MAureen KYlie BElinda DIanne VAnessa
5 good Aussie names
rolled into one very special mare
She sure has earned her retirement from racing and it won't be long until she is truly "mum"
A day long remembered .
the horses in my neck of the woods are celebrating.... Jacaranda Style
lightning2.jpg

what's the betting lee freedman played U2's Beautiful Day LOUDLY in his motor on the way home?

anyone wanna bet?
or on those two flies ( in glasses) climbing up the wall?
or when U2 will tour Australia?

:)

Back
Top Bottom