medieval castle in U.S.!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a castle in Kentucky too...in Versailles (pronouced "ver SAILS"). I've just seen that apparently there was a fire there in May. http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/martin.htm

It used to be really exciting to drive past it, but now I think I've grown desensitized to castles, living across the street from one (though it looks like it's made of Legos):

castle.jpg

I find it very difficult to get overly excited about castles....but I guess coming from nottingham, that happens :D

(although nottingham castle is really crap and nothing like the one in the movies...that one was dismantled in 1651)

now it's boring and just looks like a big ole house on a hill

it has a cool history though:

http://www.robinhood.ltd.uk/robinhood/cityandcastle.html

One of my bf's aunties lives beside a 13th century castle in Co. Down, Northern Ireland. The house is literally beside the castle. It's such a gorgeous place! :love:

I can't remember exactly how the story goes but it had something to do with her husband's family winning the castle in a poker game a few centuries ago. And of course there are stories of ghosts and demons.

These are a few pics of the castle:

castle_l.jpg

inside_l.jpg

Many of us who live in the New World are fascinated by medieval castles. If you're like me and love medieval history, then the castles and cathedrals are right up your alley. Thanks for the pix from Ireland Flavia! I'd love to live right next to a castle!

That would be so cool! But I think a medieval castle would look a bit out of place here (then again, I would've though it would look out of place in the US). It looks pretty cool tho!

I'm madly in love with Medieval castles. Actually I'm amdly in love with History. :shrug:

When I visited Co. Clare Brian adn I went to Bunratty Castle and took part in one of those Medieval dinners. It was fantastic!

I worked at a medieval banquet in nottingham for 8 years. I started out as a humble serving wench ( :lol: ) but ended up playing Maid Marion. I used to get carried on over Guy of Gisbourne's shoulder kicking and screaming, then Robin Hood would swing down from the ceiling on a rope, have a sword fight with guy of gisbourne and rescue me from the evil clutches of the sherrif.

There were also jesters, with fireeating and stuff, and minstrels.

It was quite a fun job, but after 8 years it got a bit tiring. Especialy considering that there was free beer all night for the customers, so they'd get really drunk and throw their food. The americans were always the worst :|

:wink:

I've been to Bunratty Castle! I didn't go to one of those medieval dinners, we were there in the afternoon, and went to the folk park as well. That's a special place.

Back
Top Bottom