meaning of V-sign (opposite way?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
hi all!

i guess i'm pretty green on the subject, but i've always wondered what the V-sign means, the OPPOSITE way, meaning the nuckles out.

when guys like Churchill n Bono gives the V-sign, it's done with the the tumb out, covering the rest of the bent fingers.

then the sign means "Victory".

but when guys like Liam Gallagher and smart rappers shows the sign the other way round, what does it mean exactly? (is it another way of giving 'the finger'?)

anyone?

aski said:
hi all!

i guess i'm pretty green on the subject, but i've always wondered what the V-sign means, the OPPOSITE way, meaning the nuckles out.

when guys like Churchill n Bono gives the V-sign, it's done with the the tumb out, covering the rest of the bent fingers.

but when guys like Liam Gallagher and smart rappers shows the sign the other way round, what does it mean exactly? (is it another way of giving 'the finger'?)

anyone?

Didn't Bono give the opposite V-sign to a fan after something was thrown at him on stage? I believe it was in either the Boston Elevation or the Slane Castle DVD?

Re: Re: meaning of V-sign (opposite way?)

BonoManiac said:

Didn't Bono give the opposite V-sign to a fan after something was thrown at him on stage? I believe it was in either the Boston Elevation or the Slane Castle DVD?

hm, I think it was more like the 2 fingers, but not in V shape though.

The V sign(the finger), which is used in the British Isles, Australia, NZ, and sometimes in Canada, comes from English archers in the Hundred Years' War against France. Captured archers would have their index and middle fingers cut off by the French to prevent them from using their bows again after the English had caused many casualties against French knights. The English eventually in defiance would show the V sign to the French before and during battles.

Interesting, I didn't know it came from the Hundred Years War. :hmm: I just did a fictional recreation of siege warfare during that time period, and that would have been fun to include somewhere in the paper...

But yeah, these days it means fuck off. It's fun using it on people who don't understand what it means.

:ohmy:...wow....I had no idea whatsoever

*goes to apologize to several people*

:wink: j/k (But I really had no idea what it meant til just now)

hi all!

anyone?

Actually, in Italy it also means 'cornutto'. You give that sign to a man, it means his wife is cheating on him. In an opera the term was used, and the husband killed the wife and the man (her former lover who went off to fight as a soldier) as well.

Hopefully no poor Italian will misunderstand Bono's 'V' sign though!

The V sign with the hand turned backward is the "Irish Bird"- equvilent of US 'the finger.' We used to have pics on PLEBA of Bono giving it to some guy who tossed something at him on the Elevation tour.

TheQuiet1 said:

And I had no idea that it wasn't used in the USA.

I can't believe that either! And its not always used in a v shape.. for alot of people it just involves holding up your two fingers slightly apart. :up:

How strange...i didnt know that people in the U.S dont use it

i dont really see the point in holding up 2 fingers...i just stick up one

or if at school my thumb goes up with it

Slipstream said:
The V sign(the finger), which is used in the British Isles, Australia, NZ, and sometimes in Canada, comes from English archers in the Hundred Years' War against France. Captured archers would have their index and middle fingers cut off by the French to prevent them from using their bows again after the English had caused many casualties against French knights. The English eventually in defiance would show the V sign to the French before and during battles.

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom