Me is so happy! ;-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klodomir

Refugee
The webmaster of Common Errors in English actually listened to me and added one of my pet peeves to his list. If anyone else is annoyed by such sentences as "Would you like to have lunch with The Edge and I", you can not only experience the joy of discovering that you were right all along when you said "... and me", but also find out how this over-zealous use of the word "I" came about. Here's the explanation.

Oh, and I don't care what anyone thinks of me, but this made my day!
biggrin.gif

Sorry Ang, it's just one of those things. Much more debilitating is my inability to listen to the sound of someone brushing their teeth without shuddering and pulling ugly faces.

congrats
you've earned your place in history

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Me, myself and I are also quite chuffed. And I'm sure the Edge is too.

My pet peeve is tautology - as in 'secluded hideout', 'two die in fatal car crash (they wouldn't have died in a non-fatal crash,would they?)', and a host of others that don't spring to mind right now.

Or just plain stupidity - 'rather unique'.

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
'two die in fatal car crash (they wouldn't have died in a non-fatal crash,would they?)'
I heard a similar one the other day - "He died of a terminal illness."

Originally posted by Klodomir:
'two die in fatal car crash (they wouldn't have died in a non-fatal crash,would they?)'
I heard a similar one the other day - "He died of a terminal illness."

Kind of like people who get a small electric shock (eg. household appliance) and say they've been 'electrocuted'. If you've been electrocuted, you ain't gonna be telling me about it.

They are great aren't they? Taut's as I call them, that is. My pet hate is a double (?):

"It was pouring down with rain"
Lets look at all the things wrong with this sentence. It dont pour up, and rain is the only thing that pours from the sky, unless I've been misled.

"2 twins"
Do you have any idea how many people say this one?

"past history"
Aherm.

rolleyes.gif

Oh my gosh! You people are after my own heart! Five years of journalism school did this to me.

While we're at it, can someone send this description I got from dictionary.com to Alanis Morrisette so she knows the difference between irony and coincidence?

"Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply ?coincidental? or ?improbable,? in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence 'In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York.' Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence 'Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.' "

This reminds me of some great extracts from student work that cropped up in this very forum about a year ago. Examples such as...

Bob and June had never met. They were like two hummingbirds which had also never met.

Originally posted by sharky:
Oh my gosh! You people are after my own heart! Five years of journalism school did this to me.

While we're at it, can someone send this description I got from dictionary.com to Alanis Morrisette so she knows the difference between irony and coincidence?

"Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply ?coincidental? or ?improbable,? in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence 'In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York.' Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence 'Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.' "

Ah, yes, irony. A very funny stand-up comic once tore Alanis' song to shreds.

"It's like ten thousand spoons when all you want is a knife. That's not ironic, that's just bloody stupid! Of course the fans will say: 'weeeeell, it's a metaphor!' No - it's a similie!" (loses something in translation).

Originally posted by Klodomir:
If anyone else is annoyed by such sentences as "Would you like to have lunch with The Edge and I", you can not only experience the joy of discovering that you were right all along when you said "... and me", but also find out how this over-zealous use of the word "I" came about.

Yes, yes!! One would think that the word "me" is no longer part of the English language.

Thanks for posting the link.

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
"It was pouring down with rain"
Lets look at all the things wrong with this sentence. It dont pour up, and rain is the only thing that pours from the sky, unless I've been misled.
I think you have been misled. I'm fairly certain that it occasionally rains cats and dogs.

Here's another one: I'm usually not too hard on people re. spelling, but I absolutely cringe when I see the word "congradulations".

This reminds me of some great extracts from student work that cropped up in this very forum about a year ago. Examples such as...

Bob and June had never met. They were like two hummingbirds which had also never met.

yeah, and don't forget the "which" in above sentence should be "that."

I heard a great one on Oprah (no, I don't watch it, I was just sort of killing time laughing at Dr. Phil. Honestly!) the other day. A man said about his wife, "I treat her like a gold pedestal!" Eh?

Back
Top Bottom