Me and Springsteen in the rain last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So, I was on my way to a friend's house last night to watch the MTV VMA's last night when I saw something strange. He lives on 75th and Columbus and on my way to his apt, I saw a ton of production trucks parked behind the Planetarium. I figured it was just for an after party for the VMA's (as the Rose Center is a cool space for a party) and then I reached my friend's place. It was exactly 8:00 and the show just started. All of a sudden Bruce Springsteen opens the show from behind the Planetarium by playing The Rising. Without watching, my friend and I ran over to the Planetarium and saw that MTV had lit up the surrounding trees with concert lights, and we started to hear Bruce from a distance. We finally got there and I figured he was going to play one song for the show and as we arrived The Rising was just ending. As it turns out a couple of hundred people had the same idea and all these people started to converge on the Planetarium grounds. Well, Bruce kept playing... We were not in the direct audience (in front of the stage) but we could catch glimpses of each member of the band and we heard the songs clearly. It was raining the whole time and the band was getting soaked, but we were under the lit trees so we stayed dry. In any event I am not a huge Bruce fan, but I appreciate his music. The songs sounded great (even though I did not know any of the new ones) and the band seemed to be having a great time. Everyone was surprised because he JUST KEPT PLAYING. He ended up playing for an hour and fifteen minutes and the film crew filmed the whole thing, so who knows - he may release this some day...

here is the setlist he played:

Setlist: The Rising/The Rising/Lonesome Day/Waitin' on a Sunny Day/Darkness on the Edge of Town/Mary's Place/Thunder Road/My City of Ruins/Dancing in the Dark/Ramrod/Born to Run

He definitely had the crowd going, even those who are not huge fans.

there was just *smoething special* going on very similar to a U2 show...

Quick, somebody, get the smelling salts out for martha!

ouizy, now you not only have my favorite name but my favorite spontaneous brush with greatness.

Sorry Martha...

I was convinced that ANYTHING can happen in NYC the day I shook the hands of Adam, Larry and gave the Edge a pat on the back outside Irving Plaza...

Back
Top Bottom