McLeod's Daughters - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-25-2005, 12:00 AM   #31
War Child
 
Dulce de Leche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Posts: 986
Local Time: 04:29 AM
no, believe me, most Americans think you sound the FURTHEST thing from awful

And that's interesting what that guy said about the Sydney accent. I think it sounds different than your other regional accents; perhaps the most distinct to my "American" ear.

But it is DEFINITELY my favorite
__________________

__________________
Dulce de Leche is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #32
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 02:29 PM
the guy was trying to shitstir, but then i think the country (or mcleods daughters territory, for example) is really filled with various kinds of people. kids out in the country can sound like snobby faux brits, with the right private school education - and actually sound no different to someone who's grown up in the city because they have wanker parents and are a jr. wanker themselves, or a kid in the bush who has british parents and has a slight clip to their voice. they can all sound the same, but it depends on so much. i dunno. maybe i just dont pay enough attention

it's very kind of you to say we dont sound awful, but i remember years ago watching some american talk show and a guy in the crowd stood up and he was from syd/mel or somewhere, and honestly, it was embarrassing. he sounded comatose next to you guys. ever since ive noticed how horrendous we sound next to americans. it's not pretty!
__________________

__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #33
War Child
 
Dulce de Leche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Posts: 986
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
he sounded comatose next to you guys. !
Maybe it was the stereotypical Australian laid-back attitude, translated into speech.



__________________
Dulce de Leche is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 02:29 PM
I agree with Angela. I despise my accent.

But when I'm overseas it does seem to come in handy.
__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 04:44 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
the guy was trying to shitstir, but then i think the country (or mcleods daughters territory, for example) is really filled with various kinds of people. kids out in the country can sound like snobby faux brits, with the right private school education - and actually sound no different to someone who's grown up in the city because they have wanker parents and are a jr. wanker themselves, or a kid in the bush who has british parents and has a slight clip to their voice. they can all sound the same, but it depends on so much. i dunno. maybe i just dont pay enough attention

it's very kind of you to say we dont sound awful, but i remember years ago watching some american talk show and a guy in the crowd stood up and he was from syd/mel or somewhere, and honestly, it was embarrassing. he sounded comatose next to you guys. ever since ive noticed how horrendous we sound next to americans. it's not pretty!
I don't know, Our Livvy (TM) sounded so nice in Grease!
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 06:18 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
kids out in the country can sound like snobby faux brits, with the right private school education - and actually sound no different to someone who's grown up in the city because they have wanker parents and are a jr. wanker themselves
:cry:

My personal issues with accents stem from the entertainment industry being based primarily in Sydney. TV shows, movies, etc, are filmed or cast in Sydney so the characters have Sydney accents regardless of where the characters are actually from. Paul Fucking Hogan movies are a case in point. Sydney accent major big time but he potrays these rural people with his Sydney accent. etc. and so on. whine some more.

Thats my bug bear about Sydney accents.

Or maybe its a bug bear about the crappiness of Australian actors that they are unable to alter their accent to suit the plot.

or something.
__________________
beli is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl


I don't know, Our Livvy (TM) sounded so nice in Grease!


She seems to carry it quite well I think.
__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #38
War Child
 
Dulce de Leche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Posts: 986
Local Time: 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
I agree with Angela. I despise my accent.

But when I'm overseas it does seem to come in handy.
I despise my accent and it doesn't even come in handy when I'm overseas.





So consider yourself lucky!

__________________
Dulce de Leche is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 07:29 PM
mine never comes in handy whatsoever
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 10-25-2005, 03:47 PM   #40
War Child
 
Dulce de Leche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Posts: 986
Local Time: 04:29 AM
same!

__________________
Dulce de Leche is offline  
Old 10-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #41
Acrobat
 
reptile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: australia
Posts: 474
Local Time: 01:59 PM
I cant believe a thread about mcleods daughters has lasted for this long!

But as it has.......
My accent just confuses everybody: in the UK they think i am Australian and in Australia they think i am English...or irish...just the other day somebody told me they thought i was scotish!!

What all this has to do with mcleods daughters though is anybody guess......
__________________

__________________
reptile is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com