McGwire. Yes or No. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Will Mark McGwire go to Cooperstown?
Yes and he deserves to. 10 43.48%
Yes, but he doesn't deserve it because of the steroid issue. 7 30.43%
No but he deserves to. 0 0%
No and rightfully no. 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:43 PM
McGwire. Yes or No.

So now that Bruce Sutter got into the hall of fame by default, it's time to move on to a class with players who are actually deserving...

First time balloters for next year include Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn, and... Mark McGwire.

Now before last March 17th, there is no way Big Mac wouldn't have been a first ballot lock for Cooperstown, but today i'm listening to the radio and there's a guy from the daily news on who has a Hall of fame vote saying that he won't vote for McGwire and he doesn't think he'll get in on the first ballot.

So... a poll. Will he, won't he, should he?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Will he? That depends on the thought process of the baseball writers. His testimony before Congress certainly didn't help his cause, but he never did fail a drug test. You'll have some people vote for him because of the lack of a "smoking gun". Some people won't vote for him because of all the circumstantial evidence.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how it plays out since he is basically the first and prime guys from the juiced era to become eligible.

As much I as I may hate myself for this, I'd vote for him and I think he will get in. The summer of '98 still lives on for me, even if it was tainted. He and Sammy did bring baseball back in a big way that summer. If he had ever failed a test, I would say no way. The lack of definite proof puts him in, but with a lot of 2nd thoughts and doubt.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

No.

He's a stain on the game.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes, he should get in, unless some proof is brought to light.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Only if he goes in tandem with Jose Canseco.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

maybe they can do the forearm bash on the stage
Old 01-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
maybe they can do the forearm bash on the stage
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Not that I'm condoning it, by what I want to know is why everybody so outraged and quick to throw the book at steroid users yet look the other way from amphetamine use.

Both Willie Mays and Hank Aaron have admitted to using amphetamines to help give them energy and get up for games, much like steroid users do it so they can recover quicker and feel better. And considering Mays and Aaron, and so many others, were willing to use illegal harmful drugs then maybe they also would have used steroids if they were available at the time.

I just think it's funny that people are so quick to condemn anybody that uses steroids, yet blatantly ignore others who have used illegal drugs to enhance their performance.

That said, I don't see how you can keep McGwire out of the Hall with absolutely no hard eveidence against him.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Thankyou, Chizip
Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
He won't get in next year...Gwynn and Ripkin are locks but not McGwire...His performance in front of the Commission was his version of Costner's Waterworld...done, toast and jump the shark.

However, a few comments...who are the sportswriters that vote on the inductees? Are these young sportswriters who no longer remember the play of Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, and 40 or so others who deserve entry to the Hall? How about the old sportswriters, is it possible that they remember and vote upon the integrity of the game where accomplishment and achievement was not tarnished by the thought or use of enhancements? Who are these voters and why do they have so much power to keep the deserved out of the Hall???? A future member requires 74% of the vote and there are 500+ voters...12 or so didn't even bother voting this ballot...what's up with that...maybe we should be able to vote on who gets to vote...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
Not that I'm condoning it, by what I want to know is why everybody so outraged and quick to throw the book at steroid users yet look the other way from amphetamine use.

Both Willie Mays and Hank Aaron have admitted to using amphetamines to help give them energy and get up for games, much like steroid users do it so they can recover quicker and feel better. And considering Mays and Aaron, and so many others, were willing to use illegal harmful drugs then maybe they also would have used steroids if they were available at the time.

I just think it's funny that people are so quick to condemn anybody that uses steroids, yet blatantly ignore others who have used illegal drugs to enhance their performance.

That said, I don't see how you can keep McGwire out of the Hall with absolutely no hard eveidence against him.
I didn't realise Mays and Aaron were juicers as well.

They should be removed from the HOF.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

yes.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
He won't get in next year...Gwynn and Ripkin are locks but not McGwire...His performance in front of the Commission was his version of Costner's Waterworld...done, toast and jump the shark.

However, a few comments...who are the sportswriters that vote on the inductees? Are these young sportswriters who no longer remember the play of Jim Rice, Bert Blyleven, and 40 or so others who deserve entry to the Hall? How about the old sportswriters, is it possible that they remember and vote upon the integrity of the game where accomplishment and achievement was not tarnished by the thought or use of enhancements? Who are these voters and why do they have so much power to keep the deserved out of the Hall???? A future member requires 74% of the vote and there are 500+ voters...12 or so didn't even bother voting this ballot...what's up with that...maybe we should be able to vote on who gets to vote...
Greg Jeffries actually got 2 votes.

That's how dumb these writers are.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

mark mcgwire should get in on the first ballot.

his stats are good enough to be a first ballot hall of famer, and there is zero hard evidence out there to prove that he did, in fact, use steroids.

same goes for barry bonds.

rafael palmiero? i have no problem with him not being elected to cooperstown... there's hard scientific proof of his abuse, and he was caught when steroids were actually illegal and tested for.

baseball didn't test for steroids when mcgwire played, just as they didn't test for amphedamine's when mays and aaron played.

there are spit ballers in the hall of fame. whenever i bring that up in an argument people always think i'm nuts for comparing a spitball to using steroids. i don't think i'm that nuts... only a little nuts. the simple facts are that players cheated with what was available at the time... be it the spit ball, spikes sharpened to the point where they were like razor blades, amphedamines, and now steroids.

the history of baseball, and the halls of cooperstown are filled with cheaters. why should we now all of a sudden start caring?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

i agree, hell even babe ruth had his special corked bat