McCartney attacks China over fur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
BBC

Sir Paul McCartney has vowed never to perform in China after seeing horrific undercover footage of dogs and cats being killed for their fur.
The former Beatle also said he would boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics after viewing the footage taken in a fur market in Guangzhou, southern China.

The film shows animals being thrown from a bus, and into boiling water.

A Chinese official said boycotts were not justified, and blamed US and European consumers for buying the fur.

In the film, dogs and cats packed by the dozen into wire cages little bigger than lobster pots are pictured being thrown from the top deck of a converted bus onto concrete pavements.

The screaming animals, many with their paws now smashed from the fall, are then lifted out with long metal tongs and thrown over a seven foot fence.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4476664.stm

I heard about the video and decided not to watch it. I mean, I almost cried just reading that article. I'm way too scared to watch the video.

Not watching :uhoh:

This thread is now about cuet kittahs
kitten-34.jpg

That video made me cry, and I rarely cry about things

why can't we unless an army of locusts on China

and go "that's for killing Lassie bitches"

As much as I'm against the killing of adorable animals, I still don't see why he can't play in China for this reason only. Surely there are people there who agree with him, if not, there are still die-hard fans. I think this seems a bit extreme.

Cats are still my favourite animal though, so I may as well keep with the theme...

:wink:

The funny thing is, their human rights record isn't that pristine either, but if you fuck with dogs and cats, you fuck with Macca.

Oh McCartney, pick a better "cause" you moron.
This is China were talking about.
They eat anything and everything.
With over a BILLION people to feed who can blame them.
McCartney really bugs me - he came over to a small part of Canada that hunts seals (and has been hunting seals for a couple of hundred years) and shit all over them. He's a knucklehead who seems so concerned with seals and cats but rarely if ever speaks out about dying human beings. Plus he hasn't written a good song since Uncle Albert - O.K. maybe some of the Wings stuff is pretty good but that was 30 years ago.

Harry Vest said:
He's a knucklehead who seems so concerned with seals and cats but rarely if ever speaks out about dying human beings.

With all due respect, if Paul doesn't stand up for animal rights, who will? Paris Hilton? Britney Spears? Didn't they both do photoshoots for PETA? :yuck: At least Paul is more respectable.

He does give a shit about people, wasn't he at Live 8 too? There are hundreds of celebrities focusing solely on human rights. Paul just happens to lend his focus more on animal rights.

You really can't do anything right as a celebrity these days. :sigh:

I think it's great that Macca feels so strongly enough about these issues. Having many people to feed is no excuse for this cruelty. If Paul McCartney does not speak out about dying humans often, this is because many other people are. Bono for instance. You can't stand up for every worthy cause. I admire Paul.

I heard a guy talking about rgis sick practise on the radio a few days ago and i think it's great that it's highlighted in this way! It's an absolute scandal :sad: :(

Anyone who does that to any animal ought to be ashamed of themselves :tsk: :down: :sick: :rant: :angry:

Boycott China as long as this barbaric disgusting practise goes on!

susanp6 said:

Boycott China as long as this barbaric disgusting practise goes on!
'

THAT however is ridiculous. Our economy depends on them as much as theirs on ours. I'm sure there are millions of Chinese people as disgusted about this as you are. You can't just blanket boycott a country because of a practice that goes on in a limited area.

You can pick out the negatives in any country and turn it into a hate case.
Attack the problem, not the nation, folks.

If enough Chinese people were disgusted by this, I am sure they could put pressure on the government to to enact legislation against it. If a country will allow these kind of practices, then I believe boycotting the country is justified.

mystery girl said:
If enough Chinese people were disgusted by this, I am sure they could put pressure on the government to to enact legislation against it. If a country will allow these kind of practices, then I believe boycotting the country is justified.

Welcome to communism where everything I say (that is, the leader) goes and everything everyone else says is of no consequence at all. Even if it's popular opinion.

Notice that the article said a "Chinese official." It's more than likely illegal to have a organization against this type of pracitce in China.

PlaTheGreat said:
'

THAT however is ridiculous. Our economy depends on them as much as theirs on ours. I'm sure there are millions of Chinese people as disgusted about this as you are. You can't just blanket boycott a country because of a practice that goes on in a limited area.

I think that chinese people may not be that disgusted because that are so many things like this in the asian countries, but that's them culture and that's something difficult to change. Mentalities are totally different.
However, that's not an excuse and I'm totally against that. Boycotts to those countries are welcome. Maybe they'll learn what human and animals rights exist and that the barbarie time was centuries ago. Fuck them all!

I agree that McCartney takes this attitude. It's like someone said: if it's not a respectable and influenced guy like him, how will give the face for those kind of causes?

PlaTheGreat said:
'

:up:

Harry Vest said:

McCartney really bugs me - he came over to a small part of Canada that hunts seals (and has been hunting seals for a couple of hundred years) and shit all over them.

Yes, he came here to my province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It would be easy for me to dismiss him completely, but I do see his side of things. He's on a quest to treat animals ethically, and to make sure human use of animals is primarily for the purpose of sustenance instead of fashion, etc.

The problem arises with his method. He's not going to change opinions overnight (or in an afternoon on an ice flow in our case). These are big issues, and they're intertwined with the very fabric of global culture, history, and commerce.

I'm a hypocrite. I worry about little animals, then eat them. McCartney, however, is also a lesson in contradiction. He's shown grand naivete on the history and geography of the very regions he claims to care about. In the seal case, for example, he actually forgot where he was in Canada and mistook us for another province. On top of this, he refused an invitation to speak in person on the issues with our government leaders.

Boycotting China, or any country for that matter, makes a big splash in the news for a day or two. But, if he really wishes to be taken seriously over the long haul, he's got to do the legwork within these places instead of flying over them and waving his middle finger.

As if 99.9% of Chinese give a shit that he's not going to be gracing them with his music.

Eliv8 said:
The former Beatle also said he would boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics

What a threat. Either he was delusional about how good an athlete he is (likely, this is Paul McCartney), or he just rescued us from hearing any of his past 20 years of output performed at the Games (excellent) or he's just threatening not to switch over to that channel.

Considering that China doesn't even make human rights a top priority, I don't see animal rights changing anytime soon.

nbcrusader said:
I'll be surprised if the people who are really upset about this boycott goods made in China anytime soon.

No kidding, I guess we'll never see them on Interference again b/c I'd bet half their computers' parts are made in China! And don't forget about your car, your clothes, and pretty much any electronic device you own...

I agree that the uproar over animal rights when there are obvious gross violations of human rights is a bit silly, but Macca can push whatever cause he wants. If I support A, B, and C and he supports X, Y, and Z, doesn't mean he doesn't CARE about A, B and C. One person can only do so much.

Back
Top Bottom