Matthew Jay suicide.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I know that most of you don't know who he is, but I just read that Matthew Jay has commited suicide. I don't know whether it's true or not (he's probably not well known enough to warrent much news), but I'm really upset. Matthew Jay was one of my big obsessions for a while, right when I started getting into non-mainstream music. I'd always wanted to see him live, and was just listening to his album Draw yesterday and wondering what he was up to. Anyway, I'm sorry for such a pathetic post, but I just needed to say something. :sigh:

There's an article about it on NME.com now :sad:

http://www.nme.com/news/106302.htm

MATTHEW JAY DIES
MatthewJay_300903_L.jpg

Upcoming British singer-songwriter MATTHEW JAY has died.

The 24-year-old fell from a seventh-floor window and died from his injuries, according to his manager. Currently, there is no official cause of death.

In a statement, his parents said: "Matthew Jay died late evening on Wednesday, 24th September 2003, killed in a fall from a seventh-storey window. It is understood that there was nobody with him in the room at the time and no note was left. His family loved him dearly, admired him greatly and wish Matthew and all who loved him peace and tranquility.

"Matthew lived and died for his music. We hope that his music will live on and help fill the terrible void left in all those who loved him."

Jay grew up around music. His parents were avid folk musicians and he joined the family band at a young age. Around the same time, Jay?s dad uprooted his family to move to Abergavenny, South Wales.

Often compared to fellow British singer/songwriters such as Badly Drawn Boy and Nick Drake, his debut album ?Draw? was a critical success following its release In 2001. The album scored an impressive 8/10 in its NME review.

During a fruitful period, Jay then supported the likes of Stereophonics, Dido and Doves. In the UK his highest profile gigs were supporting Starsailor.

A spokesperson at Matthew's former record label said: "Everyone here who knew Matthew will remember him as such a lovely guy, and a very talented artist. We are deeply shocked and send our sympathy to his family and friends."

His manager Martyn Watson added: "Matthew's genius was an inspiration. He brought light to all our lives and his songs will live on forever. All his friends will miss him so much."

Jay was working on new material at the time of his death.

Published: 30-09-2003-11-53

Back
Top Bottom