Matilda Mother - an early Floyd classic! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 08:49 PM
Matilda Mother - an early Floyd classic!

There was a king who ruled the land
His majesty was in command...

Matilda Mother... a song that's so colourful both lyrically and musically that I think it's an underrated early classic! And that instrumental break after 'yes they did' is to die for!

And here's a random drug hazed pic for you guys...
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 02:49 PM


You're so random, Zoots.

Good song. Not my favorite off the album, but better than most.
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Re: Matilda Mother - an early Floyd classic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
There was a king who ruled the land
His majesty was in command...

Matilda Mother... a song that's so colourful both lyrically and musically that I think it's an underrated early classic! And that instrumental break after 'yes they did' is to die for!

And here's a random drug hazed pic for you guys...
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 02:49 PM
I'm not terribly wild on Matilda Mother, but it's far from my least favourite on the album! That lovely title goes to Chapter 24. I really like the interplay between Rick and Syd in Matilda Mother. Rick has such a nice voice.

A nice big PATGOD picture of Rick and Syd!



But still, as far as Piper goes, I tend to enjoy songs like Astronomy Domine, Flaming, Lucifer Sam and Bike far more. Long live Syd and his whimsy.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 02:49 PM
and on a related note( )

I was listening to "Mother " today and it really got to me...............

especially at the end when Roger sings ...."Mother, did it need to be so high? "
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Yes, Mother can be very difficult to listen to, along with several other songs on The Wall. It's such a sad song. I'm glad I never had parents who were quite so overbearing.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Yes, Mother can be very difficult to listen to, along with several other songs on The Wall. It's such a sad song. I'm glad I never had parents who were quite so overbearing.
yea I know....

the wall along with The final cut are the saddest Pink Floyd albums


"Through the fish eyed lens of tear stained eyes, I can barely define the shape of this moment in time "

I love this song
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Yes, Mother can be very difficult to listen to, along with several other songs on The Wall. It's such a sad song. I'm glad I never had parents who were quite so overbearing.
me too.

It's such a touching song, one of my favorites from The Wall.

I find Nobody Home to be sadder though.

but it still doesn't compare to Nigel Tufnel's "Mach" piece Lick My Love Pump.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22


yea I know....

the wall along with The final cut are the saddest Pink Floyd albums


"Through the fish eyed lens of tear stained eyes, I can barely define the shape of this moment in time "

I love this song
Seriously, The Final Cut. Roger Waters has never written more emotionally charged lyrics about betrayal and the possibility of betrayal, than he did with the title track. There are so many other lines that really get to me too. Like...

Quote:
Sweetheart, sweetheart
Are you fast asleep? Good.
That's the only time that I can really speak to you
Oh man.

Have you heard The Hero's Return Part 2?

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F124BAFC44254097

Quote:
Jesus Christ I might as well be dead
I can't see how dangerous it must feel to be
Training human cogs for the machine
Without some shell-shocked lunatic like me

Bombarding their still soft shores
With sticks and stones that were lying around
In the pile of unspeakable feelings I'd found...

...when I turned back the stone
Turned over the stone
Of my own disappointment
Back home...

Now before I derail this entirely! How awesome is the Matilda Mother outro? "Ahhhhhh..." It sounds so nice, complimented by Wright's little organ fills.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,091
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


Seriously, The Final Cut. Roger Waters has never written more emotionally charged lyrics about betrayal and the possibility of betrayal, than he did with the title track. There are so many other lines that really get to me too. Like...



Oh man.

Have you heard The Hero's Return Part 2?

http://www.you sendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F124BAFC44254097




Now before I derail this entirely! How awesome is the Matilda Mother outro? "Ahhhhhh..." It sounds so nice, complimented by Wright's little organ fills.
Thank you GG for the links...and again I agree
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
I'm not terribly wild on Matilda Mother, but it's far from my least favourite on the album! That lovely title goes to Chapter 24. I really like the interplay between Rick and Syd in Matilda Mother. ...

But still, as far as Piper goes, I tend to enjoy songs like Astronomy Domine, Flaming, Lucifer Sam and Bike far more. Long live Syd and his whimsy.
Twinz!!
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 08-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
How awesome is the Matilda Mother outro? "Ahhhhhh..." It sounds so nice, complimented by Wright's little organ fills.
Yes!

But I like the instrumental bridge more.
__________________

__________________
Zoots is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com