MASTODON: DREAM THEATER 'Dress Gay' And 'Have A Little Chinese Girl Playing Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
Guitar World magazine interviewed MASTODON's Brent Hinds and Bill Kelliher for its November 2006 issue. An excerpt from the chat follows:

Guitar World: Let me posit something: You guys definitely have prog elements to your sound, and yet you're exciting and valid — you're cool. Why do you think you're cooler than a band like, say, DREAM THEATER?

Hinds: "Because we don't have a little Chinese girl playing bass! [laughs]"

Guitar World: Yikes!

Hinds: "And they dress all gay, too. I mean, look at them: they wear those cheesy leather pants. The lead singer especially: he's got that really gay thing going on with his hair. Plus, he sings like a fucking opera singer and shit. Their hair, their clothes, their music...They're gay."

Guitar World: Now, wait a second. Are you calling DREAM THEATER a "Brokeback" band? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hinds: "No, I don't mean 'gay' like that. I just mean...gay. [laughs]"

Kelliher: "I think what might make us 'cool' and them 'uncool' is the lack of egos in our band. We don't try to show off our amazing versatility every second."

muahahaha!

:yawn:

Turns out Mastodon's drummer personally apologised to Mike Portnoy about this one. (Reference; Portnoy's post a little way down the page.)

In any case, talk about immature and pathetic. Myung isn't even Chinese (he is an American of Korean heritage), and only 13 year olds use 'gay' in that manner.

(And Dream Theater's 10,000x better than Mastodon could ever wish to be, but that's beside the point.)

Axver said:

(And Dream Theater's 10,000x better than Mastodon could ever wish to be, but that's beside the point.)

I couldn't disagree more. Actually, I'd say the exact opposite.

That said, I'm not really feeling the new Mastodon album all that much yet (probably because of the proginess). Oh well, I'll always have Leviathan.

Oh yeah, calling things "gay" is gay. Seriously though, I hate it.

Yeah, Dream Theater is way beyond being beyond worthless, but I'm still siding against Mastodon on this one. That shit is outrageously offensive and uncalled for.

Honestly, it's troubling beyond words, especially when you know it's in something like Guitar World, which a whole bunch of impressionable, dumbass metal-heads are going to be reading as though it were the be-all, end-all of the world. I sigh a million times over...

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think Dream Theater are the zenith of sucktitude

Oh, yeah, it really sucks that the Dream Theater guys can play their instruments with heaps of talent and write great, powerful songs. Music should just be talentless, meaningless drivel!

For 'great, powerful songs' read 'pretentious, soulless, self-indulgent rubbish' and you'll be spot on.

John Petrucci seriously leaves any other guitar player I've heard in the dirt. Unfortunately he appears to want to reinforce this point with another of his 15-minute long guitar solos.

And I could forgive the self-indulgence if they didn't sound like they were writing the soundtrack to a Playstation game, possibly with the title 'Dragonforce of Arcadia' or something.

If I wanted to listen to long songs I'd listen to jazz, and I do. Because unlike Dream Theater, jazz is not made by robots.

But seriously, that's your perogative if you want to listen to Dream Theater. Some of my best friends enjoy their music immensely and well, it's just music anyway. I just find it utter tripe.

Edit: And before this thread I had no idea who the hell Mastodon was but I did a search on them and they appear to be the exact kind of band I'd expected a band called 'Mastodon' to sound like. Wow. :laugh:

And word to mofo about calling things gay. It IS highly annoying.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
For 'great, powerful songs' read 'pretentious, soulless, self-indulgent rubbish' and you'll be spot on.

I really have never understood comments like that. I don't see how Dream Theater's songs are soulless, considering the emotional depth in them. It's not as if these guys write lyrics just for the sake of giving James LaBrie something to sing. But apparently Bono writing about his mother's death in Tomorrow is emotional while Petrucci writing about his father's battle with and death from cancer in Another Day and Take Away My Pain is not. Apparently Bono writing vague lyrics about religion is deep and thoughtful while various members of Dream Theater doing so on multiple occasions is soulless.

John Petrucci seriously leaves any other guitar player I've heard in the dirt. Unfortunately he appears to want to reinforce this point with another of his 15-minute long guitar solos.

I wish he'd play 15 minute solos. He doesn't even play any songs that long on his solo album. I realise you're exaggerating, but it certainly doesn't help you prove any point to me. It just makes me want to roll my eyes, really.

I consider Petrucci to be a very tasteful guitarist, capable of great skill and speed but also able to play what the song requires. Songs like Under A Glass Moon and The Mirror aren't exactly very complex pieces.

I pray you never listen to Behold The Arctopus or Liquid Tension Experiment, in any case.

And I could forgive the self-indulgence if they didn't sound like they were writing the soundtrack to a Playstation game, possibly with the title 'Dragonforce of Arcadia' or something.

Now that's just an unfair generalisation based on the sound of a few songs. I can, at a stretch, understand such comments about the band's earlier songs (especially a middle portion of Metropolis Part I), but I certainly don't see the comparison in anything since about 1994's Awake album.

yertle-the-turtle said:

If I wanted to listen to long songs I'd listen to jazz, and I do. Because unlike Dream Theater, jazz is not made by robots.

But seriously, that's your perogative if you want to listen to Dream Theater. Some of my best friends enjoy their music immensely and well, it's just music anyway. I just find it utter tripe.

Edit: And before this thread I had no idea who the hell Mastodon was but I did a search on them and they appear to be the exact kind of band I'd expected a band called 'Mastodon' to sound like. Wow. :laugh:

And word to mofo about calling things gay. It IS highly annoying.

I agree with almost eveyrthing here. I do own a couple of Dream Theater´s albums (and that John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess live album which is actually pretty decent now that I mention it) and I used to find them interesting but once the novelty of how amazingly capable they are with their instruments wore off I was pretty much done. That is the problem with these virtuoso`s though, there`s no soul and it feels no different than punching 64th notes into a computer and having it perform them flawlessly. Yngie Malsmteen is another guitarist whose records I own only to realize that if you´ve heard one record you´ve heard them all. There´s no creativity or variation. The only "virtuoso" who doesn`t bore me is Steve Vai (IMHO best rock guitarist to ever tread this planet).

I guess, that´s just a long way of saying that Dream Theater just has no emotion at all. (The only actual exception would be "Through Her Eyes" though)

edit: that "zenith of suckitude" post was just priceless :lol:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

this perhaps may be my favorite post in interference history. bravo.

oh, and i couldn't agree more... on both fronts.
I second your fawning.

Bumberry, what do you think of the new Mastodon?

I think part of me just needs to get my head around the fact that it's different than I was expecting it to be. Everyone else seems to love it. Popmatters.com gave it a 10/10 review today for Pete's sake, and they don't even like metal! My problem is I just loved the massive riffing and blazing guitars and straight forward arrangements of Leviathan, where as this one has the crazy prog guitars and such. Not to mention I loved the whole Moby Dick concept of Leviathan, I'm still clueless what the crap the new one is supposed to be about.

I haven't gotten it yet. I've heard the "single" on the Sirius metal channel and it sounds aiight.
I think the new album theme are ghosts, I think.... :wink:

I'm shocked how many people are defending Dream Theater I think expect too many U2 fans on the DT wagon.

I own metal that Bunbury doesn't have?!

Where's my "Me > Bumberry" award?

I don't listen to dream theater but Petrucci was great on that G3 Tokyo DVD IMO. Malmsteen gets boring after a while b/c everything starts sounding the same... Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson are virtuosos I could listen to all the time... Pretty childish comments but interesting nonetheless...

Bunbury said:
haha :lol:

I guess you're the metal queen around these parts now :wink:

I'd prefer not to go by this title.

I'm starting to warm up to the new album, I was digging on it in the car today. Yay and stuff!@

Back
Top Bottom