Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
I'm not sure if this article was already discussed:
Here is the link...http://au.launch.yahoo.com/050525/10/4iv7.html

Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'
(Soundbuzz, Friday May 27)

ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Martin believes his group's previous albums have proved they are the most brilliant living artists, and he's now set his sights on beating dead musical geniuses with new disc X&Y. He says, 'We're the best band in the world. Are we trying to get to the next level? Yes. We're trying to get to the very highest level. We want to be better than Mozart. That doesn't mean we are, but that's what we're trying for. To me, there's no point in trying for anything less.' (wenn)

Apparantely Bono and the boys aren't "living" anymore.
What a load of crap.

Imagine Bono, saying that, after October, and just before the release of War. That's where Coldplay are in their career path.

I disagree with the whole notion of a "best band in the world." Bono was wrong for saying that about u2 but at least he had some substance to back it up. Coldplay has been around for how long? There good, not great.

Chris Martin is the worst lyricist around. To back up his claim, he must write a song like "One." But he can't. Coldplay are a decent band, but, like Thom Yorke said, they make "lifestyle" music. The new album is going to be played in every supermarket/department store/elevator in the country. For me, it will not be heard where it counts - in the heart. U2 does that for me.

Yeah they are the best band in the world at the moment...but the state of music and groups these days thats not saying much!

"Better than Mozart".:lol: :lmao: :lmao: :laugh:
Gawd, it just gets more and more ridiculous.

Chris Martin is 28. Where were U2 at 28, and what had they accomplished? We all know the answer to that. Coldplay have so much catching up to do it's not even funny. Actually, it is.
(And poor Chris is already losing his hair. Sorry, I'm just tired of all the Bono-hair jokes. Take that, Chris!):D

rjhbonovox said:
Yeah they are the best band in the world at the moment...but the state of music and groups these days thats not saying much!

it depends on what you are listening to ....there are plenty of great bands out there. i don't measure the quality of the band by the amount of albums it sells. they are not even close to being the "best band in the world." it's an illusory title. there is absolutely no such thing.

Wow. Coldplay is just getting worse and worse as the days go by. They were a very good band during Parachutes era.
Now? They make me laugh. In a tragic way. All the songs from X&Y I heard so far are plain average.

I'm glad someone's at least stepping up to the challenge Bono put out there. I think Coldplay's a good band, but U2 is the standard. Coldplay has a lot to do besides put out three albums though.

(And poor Chris is already losing his hair. Sorry, I'm just tired of all the Bono-hair jokes. Take that, Chris!)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

first, and this is purely subjective but they are NOT the best band. second, in present times the state of music has been rebounding. Look at all the new great bands out right now, just to name a few...Bloc Party, The Killers, audioslave, franz ferdinand, etc. etc.

Bono would be proud. He explained his whole "best band in the world" title, was partly a motivation for U2, but also, a motivation for other bands, to step up and prove him wrong, or at least compete with them, against "saccharin" music as Bono put it.

It worked, I mean, look how many rock bands are out there, on the charts, pop charts even, compared to when U2 were touring last time.

Some U2 fans are angry, Bono's probably laughing, "it worked!"

As long as U2 is in existence, Coldplay will never, ever, ever, ever be the best band in the world. And even when U2 is gone, Coldplay will have to compete with The Killers....

Aardvark747 said:
Best band in the world? Being beaten to no.1 by a Frog.....

Whatever Mr Martin.

WHO buys the records really has nothing to do with it. You've worded that as if Crazy Frog is selling because he is considered by everyone to be the BE ALL AND END ALL of music. :eyebrow:

On Mr Martin, well...I think he's got the ego, certainly...but I think we'll have to wait for X+Y to come out and Coldplay to back it with a stupidly high standard, followed by some more music before instantly assuming they're the best because they sell. Yes I love Coldplay, but I don't think they're the best band in the world. That's Radiohead.

thrillme said:
Bono would be proud. He explained his whole "best band in the world" title, was partly a motivation for U2, but also, a motivation for other bands, to step up and prove him wrong, or at least compete with them, against "saccharin" music as Bono put it.
Seriously.

Good for him, he's optimistic. We need more of that.

***CONTEXT ALERT, CONTEXT ALERT***

Here is the Newsweek article Launch stole this quote from, and you'll see it reads a bit differently:
Martin has never been shy about his belief that he's in "the best band in the world," and "X&Y" is a conscious effort to seize that title by force. "You want to be able to hold your head up high in a room with McCartney and Bono. That's one of the main things that drives me," says the singer, 28. "Are we trying to get to the next level? Yes. We're trying to get to the very highest level. We want to be better than Mozart. That doesn't mean we are, but that's what we're trying for. To me, there's no point in trying for anything less."
Notice the strategically placed quote marks around "the best band in the world". It's quite possible, even likely, that he was saying something different.

In fact, here is an EW interview in which Martin specifically disavows the idea of being the best band in the world:
When the world ends in 200 years, it'd be nice to be like, ''Oh yeah, and the best band were Coldplay.'' Unless you have that ambition, there's no point in really carrying on. It doesn't mean that we think we've got there or we will get there, but we're always trying. We're applying for that job that they applied for, as well. But Bono is a great rock star and always has been, and that's what comes to him naturally.
So be very suspicious of Launch, is what I'm saying.

thrillme said:

It worked, I mean, look how many rock bands are out there, on the charts, pop charts even, compared to when U2 were touring last time.

Some U2 fans are angry, Bono's probably laughing, "it worked!"

Exactly. I'm sure Bono is smiling somewhere, and glad that another band is willing to brash like U2. Bono loves those big "who's the best band" debates, and I think he thinks it's healthy for rock music.

Coldplay is not the best band, but I don't fault Chris Martin for saying it, I guess. Bono always goes around saying the same thing. Oasis used to do it, too. Noel Gallagher once joked, "if you tell the whole world that you're the best band, half of them will believe you anyway"

What have they never heard of U2 before? Idiots, I personally think all their songs sound the same :|

I personally like the statement. It is very Bono, and more to the point very John Lennon. It is good to cause controversy and conversation.

Currently, I think (regardless of my opinions on them) that they may be one of the biggest bands in the world. If U2 are, they certainly are. Not talking about past performace, sales, anything...just overall popularity RIGHT NOW.

He has a point...probably wrong...and Bono is probably wrong too...but I still like Chris being bombastic. I am very sure he said that with just a bit of tounge in his cheek.

The comment about Chris saying this right now is like U2 saying it after Boy and October is not really a fair comparison. U2 weren't very popular at that point, and hadn't come close to reaching their critical and popular success both in sales and touring of the eighties. Coldplay is WAY ahead in all counts at this point in their careers.

I think Martin is just taking a play from Bono's playbook. He is a huge fan, and am sure feels like he wants to achieve their level. They may very well.

I would like to see a track by track, production value, song writing debate on the following:

Boy vs. Parachutes
October vs. A Rush of Blood to the Head

Last edited:
DPrinceNY said:

first, and this is purely subjective but they are NOT the best band. second, in present times the state of music has been rebounding. Look at all the new great bands out right now, just to name a few...Bloc Party, The Killers, audioslave, franz ferdinand, etc. etc.

Eesh. I guess some people's idea of "great bands" can be very different than my idea. :yes:

Anywho, the state of music, persay, really isn't that bad overall. It's just the state of mainstream music that could use some improvement.

Oh, and I agree with cmb737. Martin's just setting high goals for himself, really. Nothing wrong with that.

And it's kind of crazy to see some of the responses in this thread. Some other band besides U2 claims to be trying to be "the best band in the world" and people get so defensive. "OMFG NO WAY COLDPLAY CAN'T BE DA BEST BAND IN DA WORLD CUZ BONO SAID DAT U2 WUZ LOL."

Not to insult anyone, but just something I noticed.:shrug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom