Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:

-Having similar value to u2 and having the same instrumentation as the group.

u2fp

Eh, well not quite, as Adam and Larry play a keyboard thing, (the first instrument Larry learned was piano) Adam can play guitar, and both have sung on a U2 recording.

If Guy shows up nekkid on a Coldplay album, then it's definite copycat.

U2FanPeter said:
-Having similar value to u2 and having the same instrumentation as the group.

The 4 screens, one on each member" that were used on their 2003 tour.

I'm now wondering if coldplay have ever played at the same concert or have ever met.

u2fp

1. Well that's half of all bands ever born! Last I saw, Bono does not spend half his time on stage playing piano.

2. REM also use screens, for one example.

3. It's been documented elsewhere they admire each other.

:rolleyes:

Coldplay aren't the best but they are bloody brilliant.

AROBTTH is a remarkable work of art. Here's hoping X & Y is just as good.

Can't believe a song as classy as Proof was a b-side....

To contend for the best band in the world tag, they will need to embark on a new musical direction after X & Y and challenge themselves to produce music that is just as good...

intedomine said:
Coldplay aren't the best but they are bloody brilliant.

AROBTTH is a remarkable work of art. Here's hoping X & Y is just as good.

Can't believe a song as classy as Proof was a b-side....

To contend for the best band in the world tag, they will need to embark on a new musical direction after X & Y and challenge themselves to produce music that is just as good...

You bet your ass that X&Y is just as good. In fact, I'm listening to it now and it's brilliant! the album premiered on a belgian radio station. Here is the link. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=07LNBRZI

MrBrau1 said:
Imagine Bono, saying that, after October, and just before the release of War. That's where Coldplay are in their career path.
Actually, I have this old VHS of Bono being interviewed and boasting about how U2 are better than anyone else, during the Gateshead Festival in 1982...Coldplay are just playing against the U2 playbook. Same strategy. The difference is, of course, that Coldplay are NOT/NOWHERE NEAR U2.

Ladera Heights said:
Actually, I have this old VHS of Bono being interviewed and boasting about how U2 are better than anyone else, during the Gateshead Festival in 1982...Coldplay are just playing against the U2 playbook. Same strategy. The difference is, of course, that Coldplay are NOT/NOWHERE NEAR U2.

Yeah Coldplay are nowhere near U2 of 2005, but they are very far superior to the U2 of 1982 or if you want to compare 3rd albums; the U2 of 1983.

It's hillarious that U2 fans would get pissed about Martin saying this stuff...Bono was a huge egomaniac before U2 had anything to back it up. Pot. Kettle. Black.

ImOuttaControl said:

Yeah Coldplay are nowhere near U2 of 2005, but they are very far superior to the U2 of 1982 or if you want to compare 3rd albums; the U2 of 1983.

It's hillarious that U2 fans would get pissed about Martin saying this stuff...Bono was a huge egomaniac before U2 had anything to back it up. Pot. Kettle. Black.

I have to say, though, that for me Boy is better than anything Coldplay have ever done, but maybe its apples and oranges, since Coldplay is doing Unforgettable Fire-era U2.

Ladera Heights said:

I have to say, though, that for me Boy is better than anything Coldplay have ever done, but maybe its apples and oranges, since Coldplay is doing Unforgettable Fire-era U2.

True that would be a matter of opinion. Boy is a great album-- a great debut; but I think Parachutes was probably a bit more consistent thought it's impossible for me to make up my mind.

In terms of sales, critical acclaim..ect.. Coldplay has tons more at this point in their career than U2 did, so I don't think it's a big deal if Chris Martin is getting a little cocky. Bono was cocky when U2 was still virtually a cult band and I think that's awesome! Set your sights high and tell the world how you feel!

Still though, you gotta give em credit for keepin it real. I rode in an elevator with Chris Martin 2 or 3 weeks ago, and he was still dressed like Trainspotting.

Ladera Heights said:
Still though, you gotta give em credit for keepin it real. I rode in an elevator with Chris Martin 2 or 3 weeks ago, and he was still dressed like Trainspotting.

Ha ha, Edge still fuckin' dresses like he's only got $1.40 in his pocket :wink:

(wasn't that one of the major criticisms of U2 JT era? They were dressing like Western-style bums when everyone knew they were multi-millionaires.)

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is U2. They've just got to no.1 in the US but they haven't spent a dime on their clothes." - Frank Sinatra

from Blender
Right now he's reading Into the Heart - The Stories Behind Every U2 song. U2- who were one of the blueprints for Coldplay-are ont heir 11th album; Coldplay are still beginners.
"But U2 can be beaten!" declares Martin bullishly. "For me it's no different from the film Rocky. You study your opponent. And I regard them as opponents"
They'de be flattered.
"They should be terrified," retorts Martin with half-smile. But he means it. If you don't aim to take on the best, he'll say, what's the point? "Why settle for being the ninth-best band ever?"
So where do you rank yourself now?
"Ever? Um, I think we're probably fourth." Pause. "Only joking".

:|

indra said:

:lmao:

Did people laugh? Or did they just look at you in horror?

(I would have laughed, but I just wonder if people actually did...so many people lose all sense of humour when they walk into a church.)

No. I got disapproving looks from eighty percent of the congregation, who I think were horrified by that fact that a Christian girl of fourteen could know the word genitals...

I was mortified. I was so embarassed I could have cried.
I laugh about it now, of course :yes:

funny but i never really liked coldplay's music that much. just about the only thing that strikes me as worth listening is yellow. and then i get irritated by chris' voice. too pop-ish for me. honestly, next to bono, my favorite voice at the moment and which really blows me away is that of bo bice. bright future for this guy. heard santana is doing a collaboration with him. THAT i want to hear.

Back
Top Bottom