Martial Arts --> What suits me best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel

Elvis' Naughty Angel
I want to kick some ass.
I love boxing.
Want to spar. Must spar. Wax on, wax off.

sport-smiley-002.gif

Seriously... what do you know about Martial Arts? Have you practised any? What is best for me? Want strength training, discipline, combined with cardio and some contact.

:der:

Angel, look into Krav Maga. It is an Israeli form of martial arts that incorporates the best of all styles and combines defense with offense. It is an excellent work out and you will gain incredible confidence in your ability to defend yourself.

My wife also took the class and longs to return.

:up: Kickboxing is a good way to kick ass.

--> nbcrusader, I will definately look into that. thx!

im not really sure, i rarely see my brother at home, but from what i've seen its probably rough, but i dont know. he went to thailand to train for a few weeks in that type of kickboxing. i've never seen him fight before, i'll have to ask him. i'll let you know what he tells me.

my last boyfriend was a martial arts instructor. i took many, many classes with him. great for the body and the soul (ass kicking is very therapeutic).

that whole controlling your emotions thing got old really quick, though. i never knew what the hell he was actually thinking. :tsk:

have you ever taken a 'tae bo' class ?

its a great workout that gives u confidence and teaches u real moves form all kinds of martial arts :cool:

if you are looking for more of a workout then go for that as its a mix of a lot of things.

if not then kick boxing is very good :)

i used to do tae kwon do, and judo both were good. though not as active as kick boxing.

:)

icelle said:
my brother trains in muy thai kickboxing :wave:

One of my employees takes mui (or muay) thai kickboxing. He says it is very similar to Krav Maga in terms of the punching and kicking combinations. I don't know if it is too violent, but if you trained in either of these disciplines, a smart person wouldn't mess with you.

Last edited:
Angel said:

That one really interests me. Is it very violent? I heard it's really violent.
It's really violent. I have done Karate which is decent for beginners, Kempo which is more athletic moves and kicks, and then kickboxing which I've competed in back in the day

I'd say Tai Chi, Kempo, or Jeet kun do

I don't want beginners. I have been going to Boxercize if you must add the ercize at the end for two years now. Something similar to Tae bo maybe? I know my punches and preliminary kicks. The kicks really get yer ass. I love the training aspect of boxing. Punching bag, running still, squats... all at a hardcore fast as you can oh my god I am going to die interval.
I want a good workout, but something new and interesting too. I want to work hard. Force, strength, attaCKK! :yes:

I want to join Rocky's Gym. :crack: *Seriously. I want to box, but Martial Arts seem more accessible.

Last edited:
ok then take either kickboxing or a Kempo class, those are both great workouts and have a high power emphasis

ok, my brother told me that if you want to try muy thai kickboxing, he has told me it is a great form of cardio exercise, and realistically, its great for self defense if you really want to kick ass. he also told me they have some great schools in canada also. i think you mentioned you were in canada? you should check into some of those schools in montreal since i know you will be moving there soon. but thats what he told me to tell you. good luck:)

:up: thx icelle!! and to everyone else who gave advice!! :hyper: I can't wait to start training!!

ah... My preferences are in the circular and hard forms of martial arts....

I once thought about going to China and joining a Shaolin monastery to learn kung fu... Hey, it's still an option. :wink:

Cajun said:
I'd say Tai Chi, Kempo, or Jeet kun do

Peeking in here kind of late, I'm going to have to agree with Cajun. I know a young lady who studies/teaches Kempo. It emphasizes hand striking speed, and she is hella fast. The only place where I think Kempo falls short is grappling, so her school mixes Jiu Jitsu in with the Kempo. Apparently that's quite common.

One afternoon at her dojo I watched one of her green belts take on a 3rd degree black belt in TaeKwonDo. I was very surprised that it wasn't even a contest. The TKD girl would fire a kick, and .00001 seconds later she'd be flat on her back with a knee on her throat. It was mighty impressive.

Muay Thai is also pretty cool. the main difference between it and "normal" kickboxing is that in Muay Thai you also use knees and elbows. Also, when you kick in Muay Thai, I belive you connect with the shin as opposed to the instep of the foot, so you can do a lot of damage.

All in all, I'm afraid you might be limited to the styles that are offered in your area. In my area, 90% of the schools are TKD, and if you want something else, you're in for a drive.

Oh, btw... gurls that fight are :drool: hehehe

Last edited:
:lmao:

ouizy--> I can't seem to find a boxing gym! 'Cause that's what I want to do.

Back
Top Bottom