Marshall Mather's LP=Masterpiece - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Re: permission to rant a bit?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

*edit* This reminds me exactly why I dislike hip hop/rap in general.

Personally I think that a lot of what Eminem says in his lyrics is just sheer provocation - the "I got the guts to do it unlike anyone else and I tell it like it is" attitude. (I admit that the melodies and grooves he uses are somewhat catchy and I liked "Stan" for the message he was trying to put out)
On the other hand I don't think that cursing all over the place and taking stabs - at women and homosexuals - is anything to be joyous about. In a sense you could argue he is nothing THAT new to rap. To me he is overrated, lucky to have Dr Dre's help and I bet you anything that being white has had its effect. (Dre has other proteges than Eminem but no one is as succesful)
I think that his "I'm the baddest of them all" thing is getting old (what is it now...3 albums basically the same stuff over and over again) and he's losing his credibility as an artist by making movies and making a line of clothing, not too mention getting a Grammy and MTV awards - he's basically shooting himself in the leg IMO. He's pop now.
The worst thing is that while it's ok for him to assault music colleagues he immediately launches counter attacks if he gets backlash from musicians (didn't he have a fight with Jay Z and Vanilla Ice?) - not even argumented answer, all he can come up with is calling names.
very well said.

Old 05-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Re: permission to rant a bit?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

*edit* This reminds me exactly why I dislike hip hop/rap in general.
Please dont judge ALL rap off of all the mainstream garbage you hear. There actually are quite a few rap acts out there who are very classy and come up with interesting and intelligent songs still. MTV would have you think that those groups didnt even exist though, which is very sad.

That being said, I completely agreed with everything else you said in your post U2girl!

Old 05-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Re: permission to rant a bit?

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Please dont judge ALL rap off of all the mainstream garbage you hear. There actually are quite a few rap acts out there who are very classy and come up with interesting and intelligent songs still. MTV would have you think that those groups didnt even exist though, which is very sad.

That being said, I completely agreed with everything else you said in your post U2girl!

Haven't enough people rode the coat tails of one David Bowie? I think everyone knows his lyrics are merely to get negative feedback from special interest groups... which has only hardened his success as a mainstream artist. He may have skill, but like U2girl said, his lyrics are tired and old...

As for violence against women, that song may not be the best advertisement for prevention... he may get justification from the fact that he claims it as sarcasm and therapy. But, Em... if you're that fucked up in the head, maybe you need some professional counselling instead of the approval of a bunch of trendy tweens.

PS- Do I sense some lingering bitterness from Eminem's Oscar win... I think a lot of U2 fans took that one a little too personally. To those jilted souls, let me ask you this... do you want U2 to be held in the same esteem as acts like Celine Dion (as past winners)... I certainly don't. Let Eminem and Celine be considered peers... and appear on the next Divas Live.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:12 AM
U2popmofo: That said, I kind of like what I hear from Missy Elliot (because she's proof that succes is possible without a perfect body), Will Smith (because he's succesfull without cursing) and Mary J Blige.

Cujo: not bitter about him winning Oscar. Yes I rooted for U2 but Lose Yourself is the second of his songs I like for the message.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:29 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 AM
I thought Lose Yourself and Stan were genius, especially the latter.

I still maintain he was being ironic, but yeah, I find myself agreeing with U2girl. Ironic or not, this shtick is old.

I think I'm going to listen to some Digable Planets now. Anyone remember the Digable Planets? They were really cool.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:02 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 PM
I loved Lose Yourself - it was finally an Eminem I could enjoy and relate to. I actually like his current album.

Yertle and U2girlie are right - he needs a new act. He toned it down on this recent album, and hopefully he's grown up too. How he can make such hateful remarks about women (irony or joking or not) and raise a daughter he loves so much is beyond me. I can't imagine he would ever find it funny if someone talked to his daughter in the nasty way he talks about women.

Anywhooz...
Old 05-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #22
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 10:12 PM
The one thing that makes him much more listenable than 99.9% of popular rap is that he has never been a 'Bling bling' rapper who talks about his cars and ho's and so forth. Even if he's trash, at least he's interesting.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:48 PM   #23
New Yorker

You guys just don't get it

It's too bad too cause yoyur missing out
Old 05-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
You guys just don't get it

It's too bad too cause yoyur missing out

Well then by all means - enlighten us.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:20 PM   #25
New Yorker

I thought the song was cheesey when I heard it but reading it gives me a whole new perspective...
Old 05-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #26
New Yorker

No, you need to figure it out on your own.

Listen to the album. Really listen to the lyrics. Get out of this one dimensional music taste people seem to have on this forum.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Listen to the album. Really listen to the lyrics. Get out of this one dimensional music taste people seem to have on this forum.

She was merely asking why you felt the need to post the lyrics, and why you were saying how much you loved Eminem.

No need to attack the personal tastes of others in the forum, thanks.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:46 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:

gherman,

I listen to rap music all the time. I was raised on it. You shouldn't judge people you do not know very well. This is a U2 forum - alot of people here enjoy rock music over most genres. That is hardly one-dimensional - it just shows preference.

What my concern is relating to is your need to post the lyrics to a very aggressive song against a woman, and then say "I fuckin love this guy."
Old 05-21-2003, 07:11 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:12 AM
no one remembers the digable planets? a pity.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #30
New Yorker

OK, Whats your concern then?