Marmite appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is Marmite fantastic?

• Absolutely

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No, it makes me vomit and it looks like tar

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I don't live in a Commonwealth nation, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
marmitego3.jpg

There is nothing better than a thin spread of Marmite over toast. It's even better when you top it with cheese. I know some people can't stand the taste of it; if you're one of those people, I think you're crazy.

Marmite. :love:

I've never tried it, or been tempted to. It looks boke.

What does it taste like?

AtomicBono said:
is that the same thing as Vegemite? because Vegemite is the worst thing I've ever tasted

Vegemite is a dreadfully sub-par Australian creation!

A black 100% vegetarian yeast extract. Yeah. That sounds kinda gross. I may be totally wrong, I've never had it. But it sounds fucking gross.

Lara Mullen said:
I've never tried it, or been tempted to. It looks boke.

What does it taste like?

Hard to describe, really. Sort of salty and spicy. Have you ever had Bovril spread? It's stronger than Bovril but a rather similar taste. If you put too much on your toast, it could probably kill you.

Lancemc said:
A black 100% vegetarian yeast extract. Yeah. That sounds kinda gross. I may be totally wrong, I've never had it. But it sounds fucking gross.

It's delicious.

marmite2be4.jpg

:drool:

GibsonGirl said:

Hard to describe, really. Sort of salty and spicy. Have you ever had Bovril spread? It's stronger than Bovril but a rather similar taste. If you put too much on your toast, it could probably kill you.

No, never had Bovril either. I'm not a huge fan of salty things, but anything spicy is great :drool:

The best thing to eat with toast is bacon and HP sauce :drool:

Lara Mullen said:

No, never had Bovril either. I'm not a huge fan of salty things, but anything spicy is great :drool:

The best thing to eat with toast is bacon and HP sauce :drool:

HP sauce. :drool: I could start an appreciation thread on that too. And Worcestershire sauce on fried eggs. :drool:

Earnie Shavers said:
Vegemite OWNS Marmite. You're all just afraid of a few hairs on your chest.

Vegemite tastes like rotting offal! :wink:

I've tried to like it. Several times. Unfortunately, I can't. I gave it a good effort though.

Put me down for the "meh" option. Don't detest it, don't like it. I'm in between.

Well, you gave it a go at least. That's better than nothing.

Screwtape2 said:
Out of curiousity, what is Marmite?

A delicious spread that you can put on toast, sandwiches, crackers, etc. My mother sometimes uses it to give her spaghetti mince more kick.

GibsonGirl said:

A delicious spread that you can put on toast, sandwiches, crackers, etc. My mother sometimes uses it to give her spaghetti mince more kick.

Interesting. :hmm: I wonder if the grocery stores will have it.

Hey GG, is your phobia of fish restricted to eating them or are you afraid of living fish as well...like goldfish? :eyebrow:

Screwtape2 said:

Interesting. :hmm: I wonder if the grocery stores will have it.

Hey GG, is your phobia of fish restricted to eating them or are you afraid of living fish as well...like goldfish? :eyebrow:

Check the imported goods section, if you have one.

Everything. I hate everything about fish. The look, the smell, the taste...everything. Live fish are just as bad. My parents took me to an aquarium against my will when I was a child and I just about had a panic attack right there and then.

GibsonGirl said:

Check the imported goods section, if you have one.

Everything. I hate everything about fish. The look, the smell, the taste...everything. Live fish are just as bad. My parents took me to an aquarium against my will when I was a child and I just about had a panic attack right there and then.

:hmm: Intriguing. I've never heard of anything like that before.

Man I haven't had Marmite in a loooong time. My parents always had a jar of it in the house when I was a kid. It's definitely an acquired taste, but I love the stuff. I may just have to go looking for some on my next grocery run... :hmm:

Marmite is amazing, but vegemite is the greatest Australian invention. I eat it at least 2 or 3 times a day, every day since I was about 3.

Marmite is nice occasionally, but sometimes I can't help but feel it's the poor-mans vegemite

Back
Top Bottom