Marmite appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is Marmite fantastic?

• Absolutely

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No, it makes me vomit and it looks like tar

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I don't live in a Commonwealth nation, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
once i again i wonder how thickly you overseas folk spread this stuff. if you apply it like jam or peanut butter, then i am not surprised the dislike is unanimous.

thin and even. on cruskits. with thin slices of cheese.
:drool:

BEST EVER.

GibsonGirl said:

Vegemite is a dreadfully sub-par Australian creation!
It is far and away the better anglospheric creation; it tastes great thickly smeared over toast or a dollop in the casserole :drool:

I've never tried it but being Canadian I am required by law to support all our products both domestically and abroad...

:up:

"I heartily endorse this product and or service" - Krusty The Clown

GibsonGirl said:
Everything. I hate everything about fish. The look, the smell, the taste...everything. Live fish are just as bad. My parents took me to an aquarium against my will when I was a child and I just about had a panic attack right there and then.

Don't you live on the East Coast? How do you cope with that? Isn't kind of like living in the Parries and being afraid of wheat?

Last edited:
fish.eyes.white.red3.xx.jpg

I've never had Marmite but my English friend was raving about it a few years ago. It sounded gross but I'll give it a shot if I ever head into Canada or England. :wink:

Marmite :up:
Vegemite :down:

I grew up in a boarding school with kids from all over the world, so I was introduced to this stuff young. It's an acquired taste, methinks.

Warm crusty toast that has been spread with butter and then a thin coating of Marmite...:drool:

I have seen a few American vegetarian cookbooks which call for adding it to stews and so forth to create a savory flavor without meat, and most US supermarkets do seem to stock it in the 'international foods' section. I've never met nor heard of a lifelong US resident who uses it as a spread, though. In general Americans tend not to like assertive flavors, unless perhaps they involve chiles.

sulawesigirl4 said:
It's an acquired taste, methinks.

Warm crusty toast that has been spread with butter and then a thin coating of Marmite...:drool:

More than likely. I find that people who grow up on the stuff tend to enjoy it far more than those who don't. When I was in primary school back home in South Africa, I remember trading my mother's awful cheese sandwiches for Marmite sandwiches during morning break. You HAD to have Marmite sandwiches. Or Bovril sandwiches. And of course, it got everywhere - our teachers must have dreaded the sight of us trooping in after break with Marmite all over our faces and uniforms!

Oh, and that sounds heavenly. :drool: Mistake #672984 foreigners make when attempting Marmite toast for the first time: not putting margarine or butter on! You need to have a THIN coating of both marge and Marmite in order for it to taste like something that isn't nuclear waste. A thick coating of Marmite without marge is suicide for your mouth.

I only had Marmite once in my life when I was about 3 and was promptly sick everywhere so guess which category I fall into? I do however maintain that it is better than Vegemite. Not because I've ever tried Vegemite but because Marmite is British and so it has to be better than anything the Aussies produced. Even if it isn't, I'll proclaim to my dying day that it is out of principle and raging jingoism.

:wink:

LyricalDrug said:
has consistency of: toothpaste
looks like: tar
smells like: gym socks
tastes like: ass

:barf:

(sweet! first time i got to use the barf smilie)

I think you're crazy.

Originally posted by TheQuiet1

I do however maintain that it is better than Vegemite. Not because I've ever tried Vegemite but because Marmite is British and so it has to be better than anything the Aussies produced. Even if it isn't, I'll proclaim to my dying day that it is out of principle and raging jingoism.

:wink:

Typical bloody Pom! :wink: I agree, but only because South Africans have an irrational hatred of all things Australian (which stems from rugby, of all things.)

Originally posted by angelordevil

Can you buy it at Dominion

Yes, either Dominion or Sobeys. I think it might actually be Sobeys who have it more regularly, but I do recall there being some Marmite at the terrifying Dominion at Churchill Sq.

It's only just come out over here, "Limited Edition" too :wink: I'll probably get some over the week, no doubt it'll be gross - but I'm curious....

Back
Top Bottom