Marilyn Manson's Art Exhibit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Marilyn Manson Exhibits 'Grotesque' Art in L.A.
Fri Sep 20, 4:48 AM ET
By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Shock-rocker Marilyn Manson, infamous for ripping up Bibles and invoking Satan on stage, is showcasing another side of his twisted mind with a Hollywood art exhibit dubbed "The Golden Age of Grotesque."

Colorful watercolors of emaciated souls and grisly corpses greeted celebrities such as actor Nicolas Cage and his new wife, Lisa Marie Presley, at a launch party on Thursday.

Manson, 33, told Reuters he was proudest of a suite of four works called "Elizabeth Short as Snow White."

Short, known as the Black Dahlia, was chopped in half and left naked in a Los Angeles field 55 years ago in one of Los Angeles' great unsolved crimes.

Red Hot Chili Peppers bass player Flea was impressed enough to spend $30,000 on a portrait of Short.

"I make things that most people would consider grotesque a little bit prettier," said Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner. "I used a lot of child-like colors. I used a children's paint set actually, and it has a lot of pastels."

Manson said he enjoyed the creative process.

"The one thing about it that differs from music is that I can be alone, I paint in silence, just me and the brush and the paper. I don't know if it's cathartic. It's very relaxing."

The priciest item among the 57 works was a naked Hitler as hermaphrodite, at $55,000. But some were as low as $1,000.

In titling the exhibition as well as his eponymous band's upcoming album "The Golden Age of Grotesque," Manson said he was paying tribute to 1930s-era Weimar Berlin and Hollywood.

"I'm trying to bring back ... the excitement, the glamour, the decadence and take it as far as it can go." Another celebrity endorsement came from rock 'n' roll scion Jack Osbourne, who was trailed by a film crew for his family's hit TV show "The Osbournes," as he spent $15,000 on a Mad Hatter painting titled "Harlequin Jack as the Absinthe Bunny."

I think the scariest thing of all might be Jack Osbourne having 15 grand to spend on a painting...;)

I could post a pic, but they all have some objectionable content :censored: -if anyone really wants to see them...

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?c=news_photos&p=Marilyn+Manson

I'm a big fan of his music.. and am glad he's showing his art. It's all subjective.. and art is in the eye of the beholder.

I enjoy his music and his art. His bio was amasing. I heard he was inspired by the Virgin Prunes hence the song "The Beautiful People". The Beatuful peole was the Virgin Prunes fan club or something.

RavenStar said:
I enjoy his music and his art. His bio was amasing. I heard he was inspired by the Virgin Prunes hence the song "The Beautiful People". The Beatuful peole was the Virgin Prunes fan club or something.

From what I'm aware of him, "The Beautiful People" is more a commentary on Hollywood, and people out there with "holier-than-thou" attitudes.

Not discounting that MM isn't a fan of or aware of TVP, but, with his criticisims on popular American culture, I would discount TVP as n influence for this particular song.

Very interesting stuff. I don't know much about art, and I confess I don't think I would want Manson's work hanging in my living room, but it is interesting to see. Though I wouldn't call myself a fan, I do enjoy some of his music. I didn't know he was an artist as well.

Back
Top Bottom