March Mmmmmmadness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoney!

ONE love, blood, life
So, I was flying into Champaign, Illinois in the Fall with one of the Assistant Coaches for the Illini (he got me AMAZING tickets, right behind the Illinois bench for the Penn State game). He said that if they were able to pull off the number one seed in the midwest, and made it all the way to the Final Four...they wouldn't have to fly once.

The Road to the National Championship will be via a bus...Chicago, Indy, Chicago and then to St. Louis!

ILL-INI :hyper:

Did anyone else hear that Zoney had awesome seats for the Lions/Illini game?

God knows this is the first time I'm hearing about it.

:|

:wink:

I think yesterday(#1, #3, #6 and #7 all losing) showed that this tourney is gonna be pretty wide open, with about a dozen teams with realistic shot at the title.

Elvis Presley said:
Im not conviced Illinois is the far and away #1.... who did they beat?:|

WAKE FOREST....GONZAGA...CINCY...GEORGETOWN...INDIANA (not a big win - but Chizzer's team)...MIZZOU...ARKANSAS...OAKLAND...a few other little schools...AND EVERYONE they played in the Big Ten (they played Ohio State twice).

again...WAKE FOREST...they beat them BAD. At one point, the Illini were up by 32.

Go through there record and count the teams in teh field of 64.

Oakland University, my alma mater, won. Whoo. Bring on Carolina.

(actually, they're not my alma mater -- I took one class there when I was a senior in high school.)

zoney! said:

WAKE FOREST....GONZAGA...CINCY...GEORGETOWN...INDIANA (not a big win - but Chizzer's team)...MIZZOU...ARKANSAS...OAKLAND...a few other little schools...AND EVERYONE they played in the Big Ten (they played Ohio State twice).

again...WAKE FOREST...they beat them BAD. At one point, the Illini were up by 32.

Go through there record and count the teams in teh field of 64.

The Wake win was nice, but it was at home....out of the other schools only Cincy and Gonzaga are even in the field! I still have them going far, but I think placing them int he Final 4 already is not a shoe in....

picked alabama over UW-milwaukee and Iowa over Cincy... other than that, the sheet of integrity is in pristine condition. seeing as all the "experts" like jay bi-lass and digger i like to match my pens with my ties phelps saying how UAB has no business being in the tournament, i figured not a soul would take them, thus i took them to upset LSU.

cha-ching.

RademR said:
pitt was a big hit, had them going to the sweet 16 :banghead:

I had them going to the ELITE 8!!!! AHHHH! They are so capable of winning against anyone. They beat UCONN, Syracuse and BC on the ROAD this year in the Big East. It seemed like they didn't even show up against PACIFIC. F word.

I still think Washington will go down in the second round, so hopefully that'll even up things a bit.

Go Uconn

This is a damn good tournament so far.

I also picked UAB. It seems that faith in LSU is less than I thought it was, a lot of others did so too.

The only games that I've gotten wrong so far are the Alabama-UW Milwaukee, the Pacific-Pitt, and Cincy-Iowa games.

How many did you all get right thru the first round? I got 25 out of the 32. Not bad I guess...

I got Vermont though. Way to go Catamounts.

Go Uconn.

i lost alabama, st. mary's, ODU, syracuse, iowa and... sigh... kansas, who was one of my final four teams.

of the other games, syracuse was the only team i had going as far as the sweet 16... but losing kansas in the first round deffinetly hurts.

i said before the tournament that i was gonna pick 2 teams to win in the first round no matter who they were playing... syracuse and vermont. thank you selection committee for putting them against each other. :shrug: despite having syracuse, i was rooting hard for vermont. taylor coppenrath... nasty :up:

the best thing thus far about hte tournament is that it seems that skill is winning out over athleticism...

last year uconn was not the most skilled team, but they were by far the most athletic. duke was much more skilled then uconn, but uconn's athleticism simply won out in the end of their final four game.

it's always been the case in college basketball that teams are willing to take a chance on a guy who's 6'7" or who's 6'4" but can jump through the roof, but aren't willing to take the same chance on a 6'2" guy who can shoot the lights out but might be a little slow of foot. they assume they have a better chance at teaching the guy who can jump through the roof how to shoot then they do of teaching the 6'2" kid how to jump through the roof. so the 6'2" kid... the "unathletic" 6'7" kid ends up at vermont... at bucknell...etc. etc... and they are good... they're very good. and now they're winning...

the 6'7" average skilled yet highly athletic kid who spent his entire high school career dunking on people in AAU games where no one plays defense and no one coaches anyone and then jumps to the NBA after two mediocre seasons tops... this waters down the nba, while at the same time waters down the top D1 teams... the mid-major teams who actually get to keep and develop their kids for 4 years get better and better every year. they still have a small chance at overcomming the athleticism of the top D1 teams... the american game is tailored so that the athletic teams succeed... dunks put more butts in the seats than jumpers... but they're getting there... and if the trends continue, it's only a matter of time before we see a mid-major in the final four... a mid-major winning the whole thing.

it'll happen... sooner then later... it will. just look at gonzaga. 5 years ago they're a mid-major... now they're a perenial top 25 team and a 3 seed in the tourney.

Back
Top Bottom