March Mmmmmmadness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicagoland area, yeah. Like 200% of everybody else on campus, I'm from the dreaded NW Suburbs. I'm often confused by how few people seem to go to UIUC on Interference, especially because Chicago is such an enormous hub of U2 fandom; I found somebody else a few months ago, but a protracted absence from the forums sort of led to my forgetting what the hell his name/ID was... C'est la vie.

So, that said, it's damn good to find somebody else in the U-C who knows what's what, musically. You mentioned earlier that you weren't really on campus for the fireworks and all that, but did you ever find yourself on Green Street in Campustown during the first hour or so after the game ended? Holy Jesus...what a...I don't know....orgiastic explosion of mostly-peaceful celebration...? How those people got on the roof of Gameday is completely outside of my understanding. I'm glad that I can't drink, because (unlike everybody else out there) I'll actually have clear memories of everything. Taking pictures with the undercover cops was a blast, too.

Ha ha ha! Wild and crazy times, these. If only campus didn't smell like beer, piss, and vomit....as I'm sure it regrettably will for QUITE some time. Whatever.

A rhetorical question: why in God's name am I STILL on Interference when I have all this accursed work to do? A hint: don't take too many grad.-level classes. They are, unlike The Rog, not "The Shit"...they are simply "SHIT." Oh, and I've never heard The Rog preach, no...that would be something else, though. A preacher on the team instead of a criminal (Luther Head and Co. robbed an apartment like a block from mine, last year) or a deadbeat dad (Dee Brown/Deron Williams) or whatever the hell else everybody else is like.

:wink:

Last edited:
don't be too hard on dee, he's a sweety.
it's been many years since i've been on green st., but fri i was at esquire with hopes of going to c-street. ended up at biker bar--tommy g's.
toooooo old to go on campus. i used to do mabels when it was really rough and when i was at eastern used to come up to the teke house (dismantled and disbanned i do believe, :wink: i'm sure i was no influence to that) talk about the smell of beer and piss!! the guys always had a keg of little kings right at the front door!!
some guy there, don't remember name, always had u2 posters up, bless his little heart. i do remember that his room was in the basement though, stinky bunks!!
ah! the 80's.....
i can't remember (god i'm old) what game we won, but we all went to cams and i danced with kendell gill and pj, one too tall and the other too short. must have been like 1989-90.

hey, get out of here and back to your studies young man and stay away from those champaign cops in their free time, quite the naughty bunch!!

I can't speak for Illinois itself, but I've seen a lot of its fans yesterday and today acting pretty cocky and talking pretty cocky. And the thing that comes to my mind when I read that is that this game - UNC vs. Illinois - is the game that a whole lot of people have wanted to see end this tournament since the beginning of the winter. And there's a reason this is the game people have wanted. The reason is because it's the overall #1 vs the overall #2. It's the two best teams in the nation playing each other for the ultimate prize. And for these Illini fans to be acting so cocky and taking UNC so lightly, to be acting as if Illini has already won - that's foolish. Of course Illini has a good shot to win, they're a great team. But whatever their shot is, UNC's shot is equal to it. UNC will be by far the toughest opponent Illinois has faced thus far in the tourny, and vice versa as well. And it is not that common that the two teams everyone wanted to see in the final actually make it there. And now they are there. And I really think this game has a chance to be one of those 'special' games. The kind of game that a 'Beyond The Glory' episode will be made about in fifteen years. The kind of game where the talent on the teams becomes only 50% of the equation. The kind of game that comes down, in the end, to who wants it more. And you can't count either team out before the game's even started. Of course, that's just the fans being cocky. I seriously doubt Illinois themselves are thinking 'oh, it's just UNC, no problem'. I'm guessing no one on either team is getting any sleep tonight.

the boston red sox won the world series...
phil mickleson won a major...

roy williams again has the best talent... on paper.

if there were ever a year in which he should win the national championship, this is the year.

then on the other side we have bruce webber... a near perfect regular season... #1 the entire season... his mother passes durring the Big Ten Tournament... and add the fact that the only reason why Bruce Webber has the Illinois job is because Roy Williams screwed over Kansas...

Roy Williams leaves Kansas for UNC... Bill Self leaves Illinois for the Kansas job left vacant by Williams... Bruce Webber leaves Southern Illinois for the Illinois job left vacant by Self.

when it's all said and done... if you want to take the team with the best players, take north carolina.

if you want to take the team that plays as a team better, go with illinois.

namkcuR said:
I hope UNC wins if for nothing else to prove the Roy Williams doubters wrong.

i have no doubt that roy williams is one of the greatest practice coaches of all time. he learned the game from dean smith himself. dean smith learned from phog allen, phog allen learned from james nasmith.

my doubt is his ability as a game situation coach. even if he wins this title, it will not remove that doubt. he has proven time and time again that his decision making in critical moments of games is lacking. one game does not change that fact.

carolina has by far the most talent in this game. if they're gonna win, it'll be by double digits.

if this game is close, illinois wins.

Last edited:
I dont think Illinois can lose. They way they took Garcia out of that game the other night......

Its the Illinis year.....

Illinois 88
UNC 79

i hate sean may so much

he single handedly destroyed the iu basketball program the past couple years

his dad went to iu, he lives in bloomington, he gave an oral commitment to them, then all of a sudden he goes to carolina?

please illinois, come back and dont let this douchebag win a championship

Elvis Presley said:
I dont think Illinois can lose. They way they took Garcia out of that game the other night......

Its the Illinis year.....

Illinois 88
UNC 79

Blargh...guess you have changed your mind since the first page of this thread...

I had to leave my hotel room and parad around (tail between my legs) with my Illinois shirt on.

This may be one of the few times in the last six months I have actually missed living in Champbana.

ILL - INI

zoney! said:

Hey Zone_Listener, who was that coach you were a fan of a few years ago who went and partied with the other team's student fans after a game, and got into a lot of trouble for it? I think he coaches at Mississippi Southern now.

~U2Alabama

Yes, Got Philk, it was Eustacy; foprgot his name.

And congratulations to the Tarheel fans. Illinois made it close again int he end, but the foul trouble was deadly.

~U2Alabama

first of all chiz-sean may's dad went to indiana, not illinois.

second of all...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
:dance:
YEEE HAW I LOVE MY HEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean May....looked like Shaq tonight. He wouldn't in the NBA, not even close, but in college basketball, at least tonight....he looked like Shaq.

Congrats to the heels, was definetly pulling for them, for one because I wanted Roy to win one, and second I had them winning it all in my pool....:wink:

Sean May isn't coming back

Back
Top Bottom