March Madness NCAA - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM   #136
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:15 AM
the uconn teams of ray allen would smack this uconn team by 20+... and that team didn't even make the final four. tells you alot about the downfall of american basketball in just a 10 year span. no wonder europeans are taking over.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:25 AM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

To steal a line from Kevin Spacey in American Beauty..."I Rule".

Old 04-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #138
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the uconn teams of ray allen would smack this uconn team by 20+... and that team didn't even make the final four. tells you alot about the downfall of american basketball in just a 10 year span. no wonder europeans are taking over.
College basketball is in ruins because kids are dumb and go right to the NBA from High School, or leave after their sophomore or Freshman year of college.

AND, then they get to the NBA and they are lucky to ride the bench.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Quote:
I think thats crap, I mean, sure, the title game was dissapointing. But the other 2 final four games were brilliant! College basketball survives man! The talent level may be down but you cannot deny someone like Okafor. Ray Allen? Hes a great player, but he never won anything. Okafor and company have a national title now. And im not a UCONN fan either......
Old 04-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley

I think thats crap, I mean, sure, the title game was dissapointing. But the other 2 final four games were brilliant! College basketball survives man! The talent level may be down but you cannot deny someone like Okafor. Ray Allen? Hes a great player, but he never won anything. Okafor and company have a national title now. And im not a UCONN fan either......
glorified eric dampier... a good friend of mine played for yale and guarded okafor earlier this year. his exact words... "has no real offensive moves but is just so big and can jump so high that it's tough to stop him."

if he becomes anything more than an average player in the nba, i'll eat my shoe.

as for the final 4 games... both had great finishes, but neither was really tremendous basketball. the duke-uconn game especially... where the refs were absolutely horrendous and there was no flow to the game at all. i'm sorry maybe i'm old fashioned... but i like my basketball players to be able to hit the occasional 15 foot jumper without smacking it off the backboard. but hey... that's just me. i could be wrong.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No, you make good points about the officiating. It was bad. As for Okafor, I could care less how good he is on the pro level, right now all that matters is he is a champion, and not many can say that. There are many guys who made not so great pros that starred in college. (Laettner, Manning, etc) College hoops is still king for me, even if it is a bit watered down.....
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

danny manning started out good in the nba, but flammed out reeeeeal quick...

as for the tournament... as a whole i think Bill "The Sports Guy" Simmons put it best in his running diary of the championship game (which can be found on ESPN.com)

Quote:
7:55 -- Packer: "This has been a brilliant NCAA Tournament -- the final game will not be indicative in any way shape or form about how Georgia Tech played, or for that matter, how the Tournament has been played. Total dominance by Connecticut."

(Note: I'd agree with everything except for the word "brilliant." Exciting, yes. Brilliant, no. Let's see someone operate a successful 3-on-2 fastbreak at this level. Just once.)
i think that's kinda exactly what i'm trying to say... just in a more bitter fashion were there some very exciting finishes in this tournament? absolutely... was there really an overall level of great basketball being played? absolutely not... when you have the starting point guard on the national championship team banking in free throws... there's a problem (he's normaly a 50% free throw shooter... the starting 1... not a 4 or 5... the 1 guard. ponderous).

the reason why more and more europeans get drafted every year in the nba draft is because the europeans are highly skilled in the basic fundamentals of the game. all americans care about are "iverson" crossovers and dunking the ball (thank you sportscenter)... except for, say, lebron... which is why there's so much excitement around him. great court vision, great handle, tough, explosive, highly coachable and only 19. if he continues to improve his jumpshot, which he's already done, he'll be the complete package. there's too much "specialization" in basketball today. it seems the only players who have all around skills (passing, shooting, rebounding, etc.) are the 4's... garnett, duncan, nowitzki, etc.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #143
Refugee

At least GA Tech made it to the championship game for the first time, there is always next year.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:23 PM   #144
New Yorker

Its too bad Tech attempted those 3 three pointers with maybe 5-6 minutes to go. They should have taken some better looks.

The ACC will be sick next year.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:49 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
danny manning started out good in the nba, but flammed out reeeeeal quick...
Keep in mind Manning had repeated knee surgery. Before then, he did lead the lowly Clippers to the playoffs.

As far as your list of players, Garnett, Duncan, and Dirk, they do all have offensive talents, yes. But Garnett and Duncan are the MVP's. Watch Dirk on Defense. Anyone can rebound, but not everyone can block out. Dirk doesn't do this but can jump. He should thank his teammates for doing all the work. I'm not even going to go into his help side defense. Until he and Chris Webber learn how to play D, they will not win a championship. Spoken from a true Wisconsin rasied bballer. Thank you Mr. Bennett.

And finally, Okafor. I apologize to the man with a friend at Yale, but I think we all have done this before. I was friends with Kyle Korver and played against and with him in high school. I could tell you the same types of things, he has no moves, he's slow, I could guard him if I were taller than 6'3", but it wouldn't take away from the fact that he plays for the 76ers right now. The truth is Okafor stood out in the championship game(national t.v.) and will be good in the NBA because of it. Now lets talk about schenscher of GT...nevermind