Maradona stands by 'Hand of God'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid

Maradona is considered one of football's all-time greats
Argentine football hero Diego Maradona has said he is unrepentant about using his fist in a controversial goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.
Speaking on his TV show, Maradona said the intervention, which he nicknamed "The Hand of God", was justified.

"The truth is that I don't for a second regret scoring that goal with my hand," he said on the programme.

The footballer apparently defended his goal as his response to Britain's claim to the Falkland islands.

He said he wanted to let Argentines and the whole world know the truth about a key moment in football history.

Maradona scored the goal by punching the ball into the net during a jump as goalkeeper Peter Shilton leapt into the air towards the ball.

Argentina won the match 2-1 thanks to a second, impressive goal scored by Maradona, and described by England coach Bobby Robson as "a miracle".

The South American team went on to win the World Cup that year.

'Robbing a thief'

But that first Argentine goal will remain among the most controversial episodes in football history.

From the referee's angle it looked as though Maradona had headed the ball into the back of the net.

After scoring during the quarter-final match, Maradona said the boys came over to celebrate.

"They were quite timid. They came over to embrace me but it was as if they were saying: 'We've robbed them'," he said.

"But I said to them: 'Whoever robs a thief gets a 100-year pardon.'"

The player was apparently referring to the Falklands War, fought unsuccessfully by Argentina against the UK to take control of the islands it claimed as its own.

Maradona's show is called La Noche del Diez (Number Ten Night) - a reference to the Number 10 shirt Maradona wore for the national side.

_1647306_dona_hand2.jpg

maradona21.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
U2@NYC said:

Maradona is considered one of football's all-time greats
Argentine football hero Diego Maradona has said he is unrepentant about using his fist in a controversial goal against England in the 1986 World Cup.
Speaking on his TV show, Maradona said the intervention, which he nicknamed "The Hand of God", was justified.

"The truth is that I don't for a second regret scoring that goal with my hand," he said on the programme.

The footballer apparently defended his goal as his response to Britain's claim to the Falkland islands.

He said he wanted to let Argentines and the whole world know the truth about a key moment in football history.

So basically he's saying that the only way Argentina would ever be better than England is by cheating? That sounds about right. :wink:

I guess I can understand his rationale here since the man has snorted away all of his brain cells anyway.

Re: Re: Maradona stands by 'Hand of God'

randhail said:
I guess I can understand his rationale here since the man has snorted away all of his brain cells anyway.

Doesn't change the fact that he was the greatest football player of the last 30 years!

Re: Re: Maradona stands by 'Hand of God'

randhail said:

So basically he's saying that the only way Argentina would ever be better than England is by cheating? That sounds about right. :wink:

Or by scoring the most amazing goal in soccer history...

:drool:

gazzetta.gif

That move he put on Hoddle on the second goal (that little spin thing) absolutely floors me every time I see it. NOBODY should be able to score a goal like that.

Not anymore, though... you should see his recent pictures... he had stomach stapling and that worked pretty well.

Old Picture:

maradona-alexandra-svt-050120.jpg

New Picture:

lanoche10.jpg

Best was not English.
England stole the 1966 world cup.

By the way, who was the best alcoholic cocainoman player in history : Garrincha, Maradona, Best or Gascoigne ? :drunk:

:yes:

Best was with two girls in an hotel room, he ordered champagne, the waiter entered, looked at him and asked : 'Where did it all go wrong' .

Best could have been one of the best player in history but alcohol and his passion for women destoyed him.

First in NYC, now in DC... always in ARG ?
So i ask you THE question :BOCA or RIVER ? :wink:

To this day i can't for the life of me see how anyone or i mean linesman or ref couldn't see diego's handball,but as someone famous once said,''Anybody who cheats the english is fine by me''.Mind you he was irish

claytons edge said:
To this day i can't for the life of me see how anyone or i mean linesman or ref couldn't see diego's handball,but as someone famous once said,''Anybody who cheats the english is fine by me''.Mind you he was irish

Which just makes it all the sweeter when we have success in any field of sport around the world!!!

lets get one thing straight, maradona is undoubtedly one of the greats, but he, along with Best,Cruyff,Platini,Zidane,DiStefano,& Ronaldhino, are all in the shadow of PELE

jimmmm said:
lets get one thing straight, maradona is undoubtedly one of the greats, but he, along with Best,Cruyff,Platini,Zidane,DiStefano,& Ronaldhino, are all in the shadow of PELE

Pele was a great one.

However, he played in the seventies, where defenders did not guard you as strongly as they guarded Maradona. And he also had an amazing team surrounding him.

Maradona won the 1986 World Cup pretty much by himself.

U2@NYC said:

Pele was a great one.

However, he played in the seventies, where defenders did not guard you as strongly as they guarded Maradona. And he also had an amazing team surrounding him.

Maradona won the 1986 World Cup pretty much by himself.

Pele also played in the '50's, & the '60's, he scored over 1,000 first class goals, was part of three Brazilian world cup winning squads, never got booted out of the tournament for drug abuse,and of course, NEVER needed to cheat!!!

Back
Top Bottom