Manic Street Preachers' new album: Send Away the Tigers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Manic Street Preachers' new album: Send Away the Tigers

I already posted this on my blog , so I'll just cut 'n paste here...

Word on the street is that the Manics are currently working on/finishing up a new studio album, to be released either late this spring or early this summer. The title everyone has down for it is Send Away the Tigers. Two songs from said new album have been played live: "I'm Just a Patsy" and "Autumn Song."

Here's a quote from Nicky on the new album (from Uncut magazine):

"It's a glossy punk album. It's the youthful idealism of Generation Terrorists and the song-writing of Everything Must Go. The title? It's what Tony Hancock used to say when he wanted a drink - it's like 'the demons are coming'. That song deals with Tony Hancock and the decline of Tony Blair. The liberation of Baghdad zoo is a central theme. It's very similar to 'All You Need is Love' played by Guns N' Roses."

Only the Manics would make the liberation of a zoo a central theme on an album...My favorite piece of information on the new record, however, is this. One of the lyrics to "Autumn Song" is "Baby, what have you done to your hair?" Let the album speculations and complaints and predictions commence!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:51 PM
I'm not sure there will be many people around here to do much of either complaining or speculating....I think I can count on my hands the number of Manic's fans.

I predict it's going to be a mix between Jame's and Nicky's solo stuff sound wise....I really like the central theme though...I love kookiness

Old 01-25-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

LJT, nice to see you again. I never see you on last.fm anymore.

Yeah, I think we're the only Manics fans on here right now. u2popmofo doesn't seem to post here anymore, and yertle is busy in the military right now.

My feeling is that this album is gonna be fun...in a political rage kind of way.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The world has given them quite a lot to rage about now

Last.fm kinda lost its luster for me.

Why aren't the Manics more well known around the world? Do they tour the states much?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 PM
I come back for my first weekend break and I hear this news.

Anyway I'm not holding my breath just yet; the news is definitely interesting.

The last time they tried some return to roots punk thing they made Know Your Enemy, which wasn't too bad but hardly their best work, but I'm hoping. Lifeblood was quality.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I really don't think it will be too punky though, the quote just says the 'youthful idealism' of Generation Terrorists, whereas the songs will be like on Everything Must Go.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

LJT: The Manics aren't known in the States at all, and they haven't toured here in ages. Their first few albums never took off here, and Richey disappeared right around the last time they were going to try to tour/promote themselves in America (if I remember correctly). I don't think they've been back here since. Pretty much, they don't think they have a market in America, and for all intents and purposes, they have given up on 'making it' over here. They're probably right; their music is far too intelligent for the American public.

But it has me thinking, what am I going to have to do to see this band live? Last night I was seriously considering planning a trip to Europe and making a show or two the next time they're out and about.

Yertle! Glad to see you! I listened to Lifeblood today, and you're right, it is absolute quality. I wouldn't mind if the new one sounded like Know Your Enemy--for some reason, I love that album.