Manganui-o-te-Ao River, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ashley, I just don't know how to feel about you giving BC&SL 3 stars.

I'm thinking of redoing my ratings on RYM. There are plenty of albums that are technically good, but ... I just never listen to them and they don't deserve 3.5 or 4 stars. I'm thinking of using 0.5-2.5 for anything bad, 3 for stuff that's not bad but that I never listen to (regardless of whether I'd rate it 3, 3.5, or 4 on its merits), and then 3.5-5 for the good stuff I do listen to.

I'm thinking of redoing my ratings on RYM. There are plenty of albums that are technically good, but ... I just never listen to them and they don't deserve 3.5 or 4 stars. I'm thinking of using 0.5-2.5 for anything bad, 3 for stuff that's not bad but that I never listen to (regardless of whether I'd rate it 3, 3.5, or 4 on its merits), and then 3.5-5 for the good stuff I do listen to.

I went through and reranked everything a few months ago and promised myself I would go ahead and start using RYM more often, and it just never happened.

I redid my ratings a while ago, it was so much work :lol:

Albums by Midnight Daydream - Rate Your Music

So Ax I expect to see some true and fair positive views of my band popping up soon :wink:

Actually, maybe I'll make 0.5-2 for anything bad, 2.5 for stuff that is just totally average, then 3 my sort of holding spot for stuff that I don't listen to ... we'll see.

It's hard to rate and review stuff made by people you know!

Ugh, I hate being a perfectionist. I recorded all of Breathe and Ultra Violet for Travis, but I recorded them sideways so you could see the stage and the video board. But now I'm too lazy to edit them correctly and just want to fucking put them on youtube already. But it's eating at me XD

Actually, maybe I'll make 0.5-2 for anything bad, 2.5 for stuff that is just totally average, then 3 my sort of holding spot for stuff that I don't listen to ... we'll see.

It's hard to rate and review stuff made by people you know!

Good luck with it I know it can be a lot of work

Just don't give it under 3 stars and it's all good :wink: I even rated it
"Midnight Daydream are an odd little group and thus it is suiting that their career kicked off with an odd little song. Powered by some spacey guitar and an overly simple three note the wonder what the hell the band are doing, and when Microsoft Sam takes over lead vocals you wonder if they've lost it. Then when the song breaks down into a bridge of synth and cow bell you realise the band never had it in the first place and that there just might be something wrong with them. As the song passes the three minute mark and you think it just can't get any weirder the band hit with a hard rock influenced solo followed by some super fast acoustic strumming. I've no idea what the band are trying to do but truthfully they do it quite well here. "

With their second single Midnight Daydream didn't quite improve on their debut well that's not true in terms of recording quality it's in an almost different league but in terms of song quality it's about the same. One thing you'll notice however is that this sounds nothing like "The Unicorn Song", while that was "sung" by Microsoft Sam, "Getaway" sees Midnight Daydream trying to be Sigur Rós. With a slow quiet start, the song builds up with "football pump" drums before the verse starts, however verse is used loosely, while the music seems to follow a pattern the vocals are in a world of their own. They're scary, they're freaky and they're awesome. Midnight Daydream seem to be unsure of their sound but what they're not unsure of is how to make good experimental rock.

I'm my own weakest critic if I do say so myself

Stay tuned, folks
You don't wanna move, folks
Cause there's more excitement coming
As an encore
GeneCo will cure
A very sick and needy young girl
She's been caged up
Like a monster
By her overbearing father
But tonight
We're gonna set him right
And for all your viewing pleasure!

You know, seeing Paris Hilton's face fall off was pretty damn awesome, but I wish my friend Rachel had never made me watch The Genetic Opera. I haven't been able to get any of the songs out of my head, nor will my ears allow me to listen to anything other than the soundtrack. :crack: I'm this close to setting the DVD on fire.

Alright, I'm gonna listen to some U2 and my brain will just have to deal with it. And yeah, I'm gonna set the DVD on fire.

Fast Cars> The Unforgettable Fire> Breathe> With or Without You> New Year's Day. Nice playlist, iPod :up:

Yep. Been a while since I set anything on fire.

Ooh, LAPOE now. I need a live bootleg of this song. It's just not the same without Lars chanting "rah-lease" along with B. Makes me want to se U23D again. I think the IMAX by me in the only one still showing it in the country, if not the world, :lol:

Back
Top Bottom