Man U vs. Arsenal match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
:up: now i must say i really enjoyed watching this match today. nice angry bitter game.

it was even better watching it with a bunch of English fans at the local Irish bar that broadcasts the EPL games.

talk about the "cam on Man U" "fuck you Arsenal" and seeing the birds flying left and right and trash being tossed at the Televisions. haha! god it was great.

Last edited:
I really wish I hadn't chosen to go to bed rather than watch it

I know the behaviour of the Arsenal players was absolutely disgraceful at the end of it all

but to be fair a 0-0 is never fun and such nonsense really livened it up

yertle-the-turtle said:

I know the behaviour of the Arsenal players was absolutely disgraceful at the end of it all

but to be fair a 0-0 is never fun and such nonsense really livened it up
I think some Arsenal players need to be suspended for a game or two.

i just saw some highlights and i'm inclined to agree

points deduction and everything

but the one positive is that at least it livened up what appeared to be another of those godawful scoreless draws

imagine the tension when they meet at highbury

yertle-the-turtle said:

i honestly thought some fights were about to break out at the bar because of the cheap shots the players took on Ruud. i had to calm my friend down because he was furious and was about throw some punches out.

Last edited:
[q]FA launches fracas probe
_39364642_van_keown203.jpg

Match report: Man Utd 0-0 Arsenal
The Football Association has launched an investigation into incidents during Sunday's game between Manchester United and Arsenal.
The FA made the move after receiving referee Steve Bennett's match report.

Officials at the FA will study video evidence before deciding whether to bring any charges against either clubs or players.

Arsenal skipper Patrick Vieira was sent off for two yellow cards, and there were angry confrontations after Ruud van Nistelrooy missed a late penalty.

FA head of media Adrian Bevington told the FA's official website: "Following the Premiership fixture between Manchester United and Arsenal, the FA can confirm it has received the report from referee Steve Bennett, as well as video tapes of the match.

"As a result, the FA will now review the video tapes in detail and as a matter of urgency.

"The FA have also requested further videos of the various incidents from different camera angles.

Van Nistelrooy accused
"The FA will be looking at various aspects of player behaviour during the match and in the scenes following the final whistle.

"The FA will make a further statement as soon as this process is complete."

Meanwhile, Vieira is hoping that he will get his second caution rescinded.

He said: "I felt hard done by with the red card because I do not feel I deserve to be sent off. It was a second yellow card and I cannot make an official appeal.

"But the referee can change his mind - he can look at the video and I really hope he will do that and see that he got it wrong."[/q]

1684020_7_1.jpg

1683992_7_1.jpg

Last edited:
if I have to support a team in the Premier League I usually pick Arsenal
because IMO they have the most enjoyable game to watch

this was disgraceful though
(and I'm not that big a Van Nistelrooy fan)

they probably were frustrated because of the thrashing Inter handed out to them last week
but this makes no sense :down:

Can i just state again, in different words that Vieria is a tool?
i thought studs up was an automatic red. appeal my arse, loser. not with a red card offence.

maybe they both ought to be demoted to the third division for bringing the game into disrepute?

who wouldn't want to watch arsenal vs. scunthorpe united and manchester united vs. yeovil town?

Interesting trivia regarding Yeovil Town. When they played York City the other week, it was the first time in league football history that two teams with the initial Y had played one another.

Someone in the commentary box must have been really bored to figure up that little gem. And I must have way too much space in my brain to have remembered it.

stupid stupid Arsenal:

[q]Gunners in the dock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bans could wreck Arsenal's season
United fury as Giggs and Ronaldo are also accused over fracas

Jon Brodkin and Daniel Taylor
Thursday September 25, 2003
The Guardian

The Football Association hit Arsenal yesterday with an unprecedented 12 charges from Sunday's goalless draw at Old Trafford and hopes to deal with all the cases in one week so the club cannot stagger hearings and avoid losing players to suspension at the same time.

Six Arsenal regulars could be banned for their behaviour against Manchester United, dealing a serious blow to their title hopes. Patrick Vieira, Lauren, Martin Keown, Ray Parlour, Ashley Cole and Jens Lehmann are in danger of being suspended for 19 games between them.

Ars?ne Wenger is said by Arsenal to have spoken to his squad about their failure to match the behaviour expected of them. But a bad day for the manager was compounded when he was asked by the FA for an explanation of his comments after Sunday's game, during which he accused Van Nistelrooy of cheating.

"Van Nistelrooy does not help himself," he said. "He's a great player but his attitude is always provoking and diving. He looks a nice boy but, on the pitch, he doesn't always show fair behaviour."

Lauren has been charged on four counts, believed to be a record, and could be banned for eight matches. He is accused, among other things, of kicking Quinton Fortune and pushing Ruud van Nistelrooy. There is no experienced, natural understudy to him at right-back.

Keown and Parlour face possible four-match bans, while Cole, Lehmann and Vieira each run the risk of missing one domestic fixture. Vieira is already preparing to sit out a game for his sending-off at Old Trafford but faces a further charge for confronting Van Nistelrooy and engaging in a verbal row with the fourth official.

In addition, the centre-half Sol Campbell is still awaiting a hearing into his sending-off in the Community Shield, also against United, for kicking out at Eric Djemba-Djemba and could face suspension.

The players' charges relate to violent behaviour and/or improper conduct. Effectively, each violent conduct charge carries a possible three-game ban and each case of improper conduct could result in a one-match suspension or fine. Arsenal's season could be severely hit by their loss of control against their main rivals.

The club would doubtless be keen to employ delaying tactics to spread out the players' earings and consequently any bans but the FA is keen to deal with all the cases in a block of three or four days.

Arsenal have also been charged with failing to control their players. If found guilty they can expect a hefty fine.

United could also suffer from last weekend's events, which boiled over after the final whistle following a penalty miss by Van Nistelrooy. They are incensed that Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo also face possible one-game suspensions after being charged.

Sir Alex Ferguson was said to be "apoplectic" and United's lawyers will be under instructions to clear the two players of any wrongdoing.

It is Wenger, though, who has most to worry about. The way some of his players reacted at the final whistle could haunt him. Lauren, Keown and Parlour are all accused of violent conduct after the finish.

The defence will be especially badly hit if Lehmann, Lauren, Cole and Keown are banned at the same time.

Arsenal could recall the right-back Moritz Volz from Fulham before his loan ends on January 1 if necessary. Their understudy centre-halves are Kolo Tour?, Pascal Cygan and the untried Philippe Senderos and Stathis Tavlaridis.

Arsenal accept they behaved intolerably. "The board is taking this matter seriously and intends to meet in the near future to further discuss the events of last Sunday," the club said. "At this juncture we do not have the video evidence supplied to the FA and are not going to jump to any premature conclusions.

"The club demands high standards both on and off the field and the board believes these were not met last Sunday. Ars?ne Wenger has already addressed the players on this issue."

In a letter to Arsenal fans about events at Old Trafford Wenger made no apology for the players' behaviour, saying that a "generous penalty" had "provoked a lot of incidents". He praised his team's "great spirit".

No one at Highbury will be surprised by the charges but United are furious not just that Giggs and Ronaldo have been singled out but that Phil Neville has received an official warning as to his future conduct when television pictures do not appear to show him in conflict with any Arsenal player.

"To say we're flabbergasted is an understatement," said a United source. "Generally we believe the behaviour of our players was exceptional in very trying circumstances, so this has come as a complete shock."

The charges

Arsenal
Charged with 'failing to ensure the proper behaviour of their players'

Lauren
Two counts of improper conduct for 'confronting Ruud van Nistelrooy after Patrick Vieira's sending-off and for confronting Ryan Giggs after the final whistle' and two counts of violent behaviour for 'kicking out at Quinton Fortune following the penalty award and for forcibly pushing Van Nistelrooy in the back following the final whistle'

Keown
One charge of improper conduct for 'confronting Van Nistelrooy following the penalty miss' and one charge of violent behaviour 'for striking Van Nistelrooy on the back of the head following the final whistle'

Parlour
One charge of improper conduct for 'confronting Van Nistelrooy after the final whistle' and a further charge of violent behaviour for 'grabbing at Gary Neville from behind'

Cole
One charge of improper conduct for 'his involvement in a confrontation with Cristiano Ronaldo after the final whistle'

Lehmann
One charge of improper conduct for 'confronting referee Steve Bennett after Patrick Vieira's second yellow card and for then persistently seeking to confront Van Nistelrooy'

Vieira
One charge of improper conduct for 'failing to leave the field of play following his sending-off and for instead seeking to confront Van Nistelrooy and engaging in a verbal exchange with the fourth official Neale Barry'

Giggs
One charge of improper conduct for 'his involvement in a confrontation with Lauren after the match had ended'

Ronaldo
One charge of improper conduct for 'confronting Martin Keown at the end of the match'
[/q]

Yowzer. This will cost Arsenal. As much as I completely despise Arsenal, this seems to be a bit of a beat up. There's often altercations and such on the field which go unacknowledged. Still, if it is fair...I ain't complaining. :slant:

The whole thing is pathetic. I blame money. There's no other reason why the people in the game should get so psyched up. The amount of money to be made and being spent in the "Premier" League means that something that should basically be fun has become serious when it shouldn't be. Players wages are obscene! And there's no justification for it.

Back
Top Bottom