"Man of the Year"---Robin Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen the commercials, and have seen Robin on a few shows this past week (David Letterman, Bill Maher)

Looks like it will be funny...

A little skeptical with Robin Williams as the choice. He's not a comedian like they're using.

Make the movie with Stewart or Colbert and it makes three times as much at least.

Yeah, I'm with you. Looks like it would be hilarious if it were anyone but Robin Williams.

I used to like him, but these days he's just like nails on a chalkboard for me.

robin williams' comedys have been disapointing of late, but i will see this for these three reasons...

1. director barry levinson's done wag the dog, rain man, the natural, good morning vietnam, all of which i quite enjoy
2. christopher walken
3. lewis black

as for the thoguhts that jon stewart should be in it instead of robin williams... ummmm... were your posts all made... on weeeeeeeeeed?

seriously though... williams is an accademy award winner... stewart was one of the pot smokers in half baked.

stewart's hilarious on the daily show, but, um, yea... he's not exactly an accomplished actor.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
robin williams' comedys have been disapointing of late, but i will see this for these three reasons...

1. director barry levinson's done wag the dog, rain man, the natural, good morning vietnam, all of which i quite enjoy
2. christopher walken
3. lewis black

as for the thoguhts that jon stewart should be in it instead of robin williams... ummmm... were your posts all made... on weeeeeeeeeed?

seriously though... williams is an accademy award winner... stewart was one of the pot smokers in half baked.

stewart's hilarious on the daily show, but, um, yea... he's not exactly an accomplished actor.

I'd love to see Jon Stewart do it in real life. On screen, though, it has to be somebody else. Otherwise, it's just clearly a "what would happen if Jon Stewart ran" quasi-fiction. It needs to be somebody else in order to keep the suspension of disbelief alive. :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

2. christopher walken
3. lewis black

plus RW looks like Bono, so everyone here should love it.

But those are the same reasons I want to see it too, especially the Black/Walken tandem.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The trailer makes it look like it's just a comedy then the movie is something completely different. I didn't even think it was funny :slant: Bad script

Hollywood would never do something like that to mislead the viewing public.:wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
The trailer makes it look like it's just a comedy then the movie is something completely different. I didn't even think it was funny :slant: Bad script

I thought the "dramatic" parts of the plot with Ellie were pretty hokey and eye rolling at times...but I still got a lot of good laughs from the movie. It was nothing I'd tell people they simply must see, but it was enjoyable.

Saw it too, and had the same impression about the script. There were a little too many times in the movie where you expecting a laugh, and it just wasn't there. The balance was off a little - for the type of movie I was expecting.

Awful marketing.

Ugh and the mention of the movie Envy in this thread should have been my clue to not see it.
It was all right, but nothing I'd want to watch again.

yeah, it definitely wasn't at all like the ads made it seem to be. it was a lot more serious than I expected. but I still enjoyed it and it definitely had me rollin' at times. I thought Robin Williams did a good job. Upon seeing it, it definitely would have been awkward if Stewart himself was the lead :wink:

overall I'd give it maybe 6.5 or 7 out of 10. not a great movie, but worth seeing imo

Back
Top Bottom