Mamma Mia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I teared up a bit.

I thought it was fun and fluffy, and Meryl Streep and her cronies almost stole the show. Good times!

I saw it last night with my mom (fittingly) and thought it was so much fun. I just wanted to sing when I left, ABBA songs or not. It's totally worth $10 to see a movie and feel happy and joyous after.

Ok, so it wasn't terrible. I actually liked it, and my mom and I agreed Pierce brosnan needs to never sing ever again.

QFT :lol:

I saw this last night with my family. Was originally supposed to be going with my Mum but a new cinema has just opened so we wanted to check it out. My brother had no idea what we were going to see and at the start he told me he was never going to admit having seen it and my sister was crying it was really bad but they all loved it. The cinema was completely packed and at the end everyone was up singing and dancing and there was a big round of applause. The film was pure cheese. :drool: Doubt I'll see it again but really glad I saw it at the cinema. It was a really great atmosphere and the craic was flying. :up:

I loved it. Meryl Streep really can do anything. Amanda Seyfried shines on the screen. I cringed when Pierce Brosnan was "singing", but other than that it was the most I have enjoyed any movie all summer. I enjoyed Dark Knight but that was on a completely different level and obviously it's apples and oranges.

I want to get the soundtrack but I have to find a way to edit Pierce out of it :D When you can't look at him it makes the singing even worse.

I saw the play and wondered why it was so long. The first half was cute but it just didn't hold my attention. And I'm a theatre lover. So I might rent the movie sometime long down the road but don't think I'll be seeing it, definitely not in the theatres for $10.

It's been a few years since I saw the musical, but I believe the movie was shorter. I don't recall how much they cut, but I'm pretty sure at least one big number was cut(wasn't there a dream sequence in the musical set to "Under Attack"?).

I absolutely hated the first 15 minutes or so, especially the scene when Donna meets Rosie and Tanya at the boat when they arrive for the wedding. Based on their interaction at that point, I thought I would hate all 3 characters and almost considered leaving. But from then on, I loved it and smiled all the way until the ending credits, when I cracked up.

Our theater was packed with giddy women and young girls and more than a few men that looked like they would rather be anywhere but there. I didn't hear it, but during the "do you want to hear one more" part at the end, the grumpy man next to him said "NO!" :lol:

I didn't hear it, but during the "do you want to hear one more" part at the end, the grumpy man next to him said "NO!" :lol:

:lol:

There weren't too many men when I saw it either. It was like Sex And The City redux. I bet that's one of those movies that guys would secretly rent like crazy on DVD and dance around in their underwear a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business :wink:

I finally saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Meryl Streep did a great job and it looked like she enjoyed playing her character. I will be very surprised if she is not nominated for a Golden Globe for her role. Since I have not seen the Broadway production, I cannot compare the movie to the stage show, but either way, I enjoyed it and it made me want to visit Greece and break out my ABBA cd.

I went to see Mamma Mia last night, and have to say, I liked the movie a lot. Okay, it had a predictable story, but who cares. If you don't like ABBA songs, melodramatic scenes, sheer happiness and fun times, don't go. But if you do, you should DEFINITELY go see it. It makes you forget about worries for a while and just drift away to that beautiful island with some good acting/singing, I might say, didn't really expect those actors could sing! Whenever you start to hear those ABBA-tunes, you just can't sit still and want to sing along. People in our theatre did, to be quite honest :) This movie shows ABBA-songs are just timeless. The movie cannot really be compared to the musical on stage, except for the story, but you shouldn't be trying to compare them anyway. I'd like to go see this movie again :up:

I finally saw the movie and I enjoyed it. Meryl Streep did a great job and it looked like she enjoyed playing her character. I will be very surprised if she is not nominated for a Golden Globe for her role. Since I have not seen the Broadway production, I cannot compare the movie to the stage show, but either way, I enjoyed it and it made me want to visit Greece and break out my ABBA cd.

It was worth seeing for the scenery alone. That blue water. :drool:

:lol:

There weren't too many men when I saw it either. It was like Sex And The City redux. I bet that's one of those movies that on DVD and dance around in their underwear a la Tom Cruise in Risky Business :wink:

guys would secretly rent like crazy :huh:

not most guys

Tom Cruise -- bless his heart - ok

some guys :wink:

saw this last week....and, I am surprised to say I didn't hate it, although Pierce B. was a very odd choice for the part, and his "singing" made me cringe:huh: The girl who played the lead was very pretty and was an OK singer...Meryl did ok with her singing, but I thought Christine Baranski stole the show....and the scenery was gorgeous:D

I saw it last night - what a FANTASTIC movie!
I had no idea that Meryl Streep could sing and she was great - and so was Pearce Brosnan.

The entire movie was very enjoyable but the end credits were the BEST!

GREAT movie!

Back
Top Bottom