Madonna Pulls a Britney...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
You'd think that after raising three children, achieving spiritual enlightenment, and witnessing Britney's public mishaps, Madonna would have it all figured out by now. Apparently not.

On March 2, Madonna, 48, was caught taking off in her Escalade ESV without buckling up 17-month-old son, David. "There was no car seat," a source tells Us. "She sat in the middle row, and they left with David on her lap."

Reps for the legendary singer/children's book author tell Us that "proper security measures are always taken for Madonna's children."

If by "security measures" they mean, "laws of nature don't apply to Madonna's offspring," then, alright. We'll have to settle for that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I thought I was going to see bald pics of Madonna.

:laugh: so did I! That's about the only hairstyle/length(or lack thereof) she hasn't tried yet!

As a mother of 3, I do not condemn her- or even Britney- for letting them ride on your lap. Sure, it's against the law and techically unsafe, but honestly, even if you have a 10 or so percent chance of getting into a wreck when you drive, you have about a 90% chance that kid is going to squawl its head off because it doesn't like being strapped down. I agree that infants need to be strapped down, and they usually don't mind unless it's a long trip. But a toddler, that's torture to them! They don't understand why they can't move and they scream and struggle so hard it's terrible, and actually distracts from your driving which is also unsafe. Sometimes you can distract them with treats, toys or scenery, other times you can't. I think it's being a GOOD mother to care enough to hold them in your lap lovingly and give them a break if they're really, really miserable. And yes I have done this! Please don't judge until you've been there, once you all have kids I think you'll see what I mean and I bet you cheat once in awhile too.

I also think it's kind of funny that now everyone is an unfit parent for letting them ride out of the seat, when those of us over 30 were raised that way. There was no law back then and nobody thought a thing of it.

Last edited:
Maybe he was sick or something, the only time my son was on my lap in the back seat with me was when he dislocated his arm while laying on the couch and fell off. We couldn't move his arm to get him into the seat.

Who knows just giving the benefit of doubt.

I also think it's kind of funny that now everyone is an unfit parent for letting them ride out of the seat, when those of us over 30 were raised that way. There was no law back then and nobody thought a thing of it. [/B][/QUOTE]

As Oprah says "When you know better, you do better". If your child is upset it's probably because it knows you will give in and let it out of it's seat. You can always pull over and have a cuddle if that's what you feel you need to do. You may be a safe driver but other people are not. Would you rather have an upset child for 5 mins or have to live with a disabled child, or worse, no child at all!:tsk:

U2Kitten said:

:laugh: so did I! That's about the only hairstyle/length(or lack thereof) she hasn't tried yet!

As a mother of 3, I do not condemn her- or even Britney- for letting them ride on your lap. Sure, it's against the law and techically unsafe, but honestly, even if you have a 10 or so percent chance of getting into a wreck when you drive, you have about a 90% chance that kid is going to squawl its head off because it doesn't like being strapped down. I agree that infants need to be strapped down, and they usually don't mind unless it's a long trip. But a toddler, that's torture to them! They don't understand why they can't move and they scream and struggle so hard it's terrible, and actually distracts from your driving which is also unsafe. Sometimes you can distract them with treats, toys or scenery, other times you can't. I think it's being a GOOD mother to care enough to hold them in your lap lovingly and give them a break if they're really, really miserable. And yes I have done this! Please don't judge until you've been there, once you all have kids I think you'll see what I mean and I bet you cheat once in awhile too.

Well, why not just explain to the toddler that mommy wants them to be safe, so they need to stay buckled in for a little bit longer? None of us ever think we're going to get into an accident when we get in our cars, but they happen. Often unexpectedly.

My mom and dad never let us sit unbuckled. My sister and her husband never did with their kids, and my brother and his wife don't with their kids either. I guess some people place safety over temporary comfort, and some don't.

:shrug:

While I totally expected a rash of holier than thou lectures :yawn: :rolleyes: I don't want to fight over this car seat thing. My kids are all now too big for the seats, but I did what I did when they were smaller and I don't regret a thing. You must not know a lot about toddlers if you think you can 'explain' safety' to them. When they aren't fluent in language yet, all they know is that they're strapped down and can't move and they don't like that feeling.

And BTW I know some people who lost their only daughter in a family of 5 kids because she was strapped into her car seat when the car flipped over into a roadside canal. Everyone else got out, but her straps tightened in the crash and she was upside down in water and drowned before the rescue squad got there, despite tragically desperate attempts to get her out by her family. If she was out of the seat, she'd have lived. It was heartbreaking. So you just never know.:(

I don't think Madonna and Britney are terrible people for riding with their kids on their laps, or that it's that big of a scandal. Whoopee.

Now, let's see some bald pics of Madonna :giggle:

Photoshop, anyone?! :happy: ;)

Last edited:
One response in two pages to your post about your kids and car seats, and it's "a rash of holier than thou lectures"?

Come on. You can't post something like that and not expect that no one to come back with even a tame response.

Two. You missed Cinnaminson's on the last page. I wanted to take up for Madonna, it's not as villainous as some of you (mostly not parents) make it out to be. Anyway, somebody please make a photoshop pic of Madonna bald! :lmao: Who knows, maybe she'll actually shave her head, wouldn't that be funny?:laugh: Talk about reinventing yourself! But of course now it's not original since Britney did it first, and Madonna doesn't want to be a trend follower!

Pediatrician = me.

Thoughts on carseats = use them.

Thoughts on the occasional skipping of seatbelts/carseats because you're piling 8 kids into the back and driving around the block at the beach = everyone does it once or twice

Thoughts on letting a toddler make his/her own safety decisions for you by crying its head off = guess what--you're bigger

Here, it's illegal not to be using car seats, so there's really no discussion. It's proven that kids need to be strapped in and cannot be exposed to airbags, so it doesn't really matter what a parent feels like doing (or not doing). It's also illegal for adults not to use seat belts and they ticket for that as much as speeding. When I nannied full time, all four of the kids begged to get turns sitting in the front seat and I said "no, you gotta weigh 80 pounds to sit in the front seat and that's final." Now, Madonna's kids aren't even old enough to be mouthing off, so I can't understand how difficult it would have been for her. Sure, we could say that because she's in the public eye every mistake will be blown out of proportion, which is true, but I don't know any parents these days that are cutting corners when it comes to their kids' safety, especially a parent like Madonna that can afford all the baby seats and booster seats she wants, and even hired help to strap the kids in! God, I would've given ANYTHING for help getting those four kids (and one with a mental disorder) into the car properly. Do I think anything more or less of Madonna? Not really. It's just one stupid decision, and everyone makes a stupid decision once in a while.

U2Kitten said:

I also think it's kind of funny that now everyone is an unfit parent for letting them ride out of the seat, when those of us over 30 were raised that way. There was no law back then and nobody thought a thing of it.

You don't even have to be that old - many places around the world have no laws in place. Not only did I ride in cars without seatbelts, but I never had a helmet or any kind of padding for any sport I engaged in, no anti-bacterial solutions, no electrical outlets were covered and so on. It's a miracle many of us made it. :wink:

I don't even let adults ride with me unless they're buckled up. I feel like I'm a pretty good driver, but you can never predict what's going to happen.

It's scary that people can be famous and have no common sense :huh:

I want to clarify 2 things before leaving this thread for good- one, when I said self righteous, holier than thou lectures, I really meant Lies, because I knew she'd be here sooner or later! She always does that to me in almost every thread. I am so sorry I fell short of her lofty standards yet again, and I will never live up to them. Surely Heaven awaits her perfection with glorious trumpets, glowing lights and a choir of angels :angel:

I also wanted to clarify that I did not let my kids ride out of the seat ALL THE TIME- heck I'm too paranoid of getting pulled over to do that. I meant only in CERTAIN SITUATIONS now and then if the kid was really, really having a hard time, or sick, like JCOSTER said. I can't believe every single parent hasn't made an exception once in awhile, you have to. I would bet most or all of you who have judged and condemned are not parents, and no, just saying your sister did it doesn't count. You aren't with her all the time. Anyway, I do not think it makes you a bad parent, and I don't comdemn Madonna or Britney at all. They did what they had to do at the time. Think about this, at least she had him on her lap instead of tossed aside all alone! ;)

I can't believe as many of you here that are good at photoshop nobody has made us a bald Madonna pic! Come on! :lmao:

Last edited:
You are unbelievable. Once again you post a negative/controversial comment/post and then personally attack people for replying. How do you not see that YOU start the arguments? It's plain as day. If you dont want people to reply to you DONT POST. Nothing ANYONE said in response to you was rude or out of line. You are the only rude one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom