Madonna--"Hung Up" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Madonna

I've loved her since the beginning of her career, except for a sappy party in the early 90s (Everytime I try to think of that album name I can only think of "Stories for Boys" but I know it's something like Bedtime Stories! ).

About to go listen to her new single right now!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:32 AM
ABBA...

What ABBA song does she sample?!!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Gimme, gimme, gimme

Cool! no looking around for the single - it plays the instant you get on to the site www.madonna.com
Old 10-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 AM
S.O.S I think??
Old 10-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:32 AM
no it's not S.O.S, I think it's Gimme Gimme Gimme

(sorry, edit to say just saw it had already been asnwered)
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Yeah, the new Madonna song is great, and I guess the new album - Confessions on a dancefloor - will be too.
I know the album is composed by 12 non-stop tracks. With the exception on the 11th track 'Isaak', all the songs are up-tempo and follow diverse styles as disco, dance music, trance, rock, techno...

I like Madonna, 'cause I think it's a woman with balls. She does not have a great voice, but she's huge in comparison with other singers.
My fave albums are Like a prayer (I love 'Oh Father') and Ray of light, but IMO, her best album to date is the worst-selling and unfairly criticized American Life... what a great album for a singer like her...!
I have seen her live here in Lisbon, September 2004, and it was amazing. The girl impressed me as I wasn't expecting.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 AM
I adore Madonna and am so excited that her new album is only a few weeks away!! And a tour in '06!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:32 AM
It's awesome! Just heard it at the official site. I like it much better than Music, the one that turned me away from her stuff. After Ray Of Light, Music sounded really bad to me. But this one's real groovy! Maybe the ABBA sample has something to do with it, maybe not. Cos it's a pretty catchy tune as it is. Probably not as good as Beautiful Stranger, though.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:04 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think I'd actually like the song much better if it didn't sample ABBA; because I find it kinda distracting anf it just makes me think of how much better "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" is.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
what's wrong with madonna? i don't like her really old stuff, but ray of light, music, etc. are great songs. actually, that whole ray of light album is stellar, at least the singles are anyway.
Haha...all I like is her old stuff. Or, at least, in the context of a "Greatest Hits" album. I think a lot of her songs that don't make the radio can be pretty bad, but the ones that make it are very catchy indeed.

Melon
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
It's awesome! Just heard it at the official site. I like it much better than Music, the one that turned me away from her stuff. After Ray Of Light, Music sounded really bad to me. But this one's real groovy! Maybe the ABBA sample has something to do with it, maybe not. Cos it's a pretty catchy tune as it is. Probably not as good as Beautiful Stranger, though.
I wasn't a big fan of the lead self-titled single for "Music", but it eventually grew on me. I know that Mirwais-produced sound that pervades the album is a little weird and can be grating. There's 10 songs on the album and a couple feel like filler.

However, I think that the techno-country thing she did on Don't Tell Me was nothing short of brilliant, and the mostly acoustic album closer Gone is one of the high points of her career. She seems to be channeling a much better singer on that track, like Joni or Emmylou Harris.

The most underrated thing on the record for me though, is What It Feels Like For A Girl, which may be among her greatest singles ever, and I never felt it became the classic it should have. The single version was a remix that took all the feeling out of the song. It was written partially as advice to all the skanky young starlets (Britney, Christina) that I think Madonna felt were growing up too fast. Great fucking piece of songwriting, and her vocal on that track is up there as well, even if she probably couldn't reproduce it outside the studio.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Love the song, love ABBA, can't wait for the album!

I really disliked American Life, found it really disappointing. American Life the single, however, was (and still is) incredible ... except for that horriffic rap section.

I like Music quite a bit, and have always loved Like a Prayer and Ray of Light. Great stuff! Would love to see her live someday.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:59 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think American Life is very underated. IMO it's her best album. Very introspective and with deep lyrics. About the songs themselves, they we're great. The title track is just first single, but there are best songs there as 'Intervention', 'Nobody knows me', 'Mother and father', 'Easy ride', 'I'm so stupid'. I like the mixture or the Mirways sound and with lots of acoustic/electric guitars, sound sometimes like Depeche Mode, someting like that.
The album flopped because of American sales (because of the first 2 tracks that sounded too political and like a punch for some... guys). Here in Europe the album was quite successful.

I hope the new album beats American Life, Ray Of Light, Erotica or Like a Prayer...
Old 10-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

I listened to Hung Up three times in a row on the way to work this morning.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:32 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't like the new single?