Mad Men II: A Man For All Seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, it's using something from far back in the show's mythology as dressing around something much bigger. Don ordering an "Old Fashioned", the familiar scene of two young, attractive women looking for action. But the actual question posed to him now has a much more existential weight to it than a simple temptation of Should I Or Shouldn't I?

The people that move around in the orbit of Don's life--what connection does he have to them? Are they substantial connections? Is he happy? Did he get what he wanted? Is the threat of his obsolescence simply because he doesn't "want" or "dream" anymore, unlike all of the people closet to him (Peggy, Roger, Megan, Sally, Pete, Joan)? It isn't being "alone" in the traditional sense but his false sense of security or contentment is what is really setting him apart from everyone else.

The closing question reminded me a lot of the closing question from an earlier episode, I believe it was Season 3, the Halloween episode when Don is out trick or treating with the kids. The man at the door asks Don "And who are you supposed to be?"

And we fade to black as the below-the-surface meaning of the question sinks in.

As Salon’s Willa Paskin noted on Twitter, the long shot of the SCDP principals surveying their new offices would make a great poster for “the forthcoming Mad Men action hero movie.”
I can't be the only person that thought about the closing shot in Empire Strikes Back there . . .

Don walking away from the commercial set struck me as surreally structured as the pilot episode's "Jesus comforting the children" final scene.

He almost seems like he's walking off the Mad Men set!

Mad Men S5 finale most watched in series history, Season 5 most watched season to date, up 15% over Season 4 average

Link

Maybe they can play the whole White Album next season?

A couple of people have mentioned Peggy, I don't see her coming back at all.

See seems to be headed for a huge success, she is on the future Virginia Slims account.

Commercial - Virginia Slims Cigarettes 1967 (You've come a l - Video Dailymotion

vslims_13a_4.jpg

this commercial, campaign was ground breaking

While this show doesn't seem afraid of shaking up its supporting cast, I was slightly disappointed not to see Duck make an ass out of himself again. I'd like to see how Sal is getting along too, his exit was tragic.

Damn good season though, can't believe how fast it went by after waiting 18 months.

I keep wondering if Sal will ever come back, at least before the final episode. The last I saw of the actor he had a book out, don't know if he's been getting other acting work.

It works because it's Peggy. Had that happened to Don or Pete, it would have taken on some greater significance. With Peggy, it's funny and sad and a great example of where she's at. I liked that she was able to smile about it.

Having been to Richmond, I can attest that's a pretty accurate representation of the entertainment options there.

I spent most of my time during Rory and Pete's scenes thinking about how much his hairline is receding. Is that a dark magic trick of hairstyling, or was it like that to start the season?

I tend to think Peggy's leaving the show as well.

Which is sad.

Enjoyed that last episode. A lot to think about.

I can't believe I'll most likely be almost 40 by the time the next season starts. :(

I think Deep is right about the Virginia Slims. That seems like an angle -- a woman's cigarette that is what every woman wants to be, slim, promising liberation and oppression in one puff -- that is so rich for exploring, and very new generation (as opposed to the old Lucky Strike boys) that I can't see them passing up the opportunity to do so without Peggy.

The two episodes since Peggy left have been my least favorites of an amazing season, so I don't look forward to her leaving permanently. Not at all.

Very interesting article about a "real life" Peggy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/f...-mad-men.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-share

I found the part about how she left to start her own agency more reminiscent of the starting of SCDP than of Peggy's departure.

Also interesting that she found the excessively male-dominated world of Mad Men more representative of an earlier time, not that of the time period portrayed!

The amount of smoking in the show makes my lungs hurt, and I smoke a pack a day.

I spent most of my time during Rory and Pete's scenes thinking about how much his hairline is receding. Is that a dark magic trick of hairstyling, or was it like that to start the season?

Vincent Karthesier went TO POT over the year-and-a-half break! It wasn't just the season finale that he looked awful in. When the season started, my friends and I were like --What the hell happened to Pete!?-- All the weight he's gained has gone straight to his face, and his hair is receding faster than he can cash his paychecks. Poor guy. On a show next to Jon Hamm and John Slattery, who look just as great as always. :yikes:

[EDIT:] Apparently it was all intentional! http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mad-men-pete-campbell-vincent-kartheiser-336525

Last edited:
From Vulture.com
Everyone’s been talking about how punchable Pete’s face is this season. Are you proud when you hear about his punchability, since that’s kind of the goal with his character?
[Laughs.] I’ve been hearing that my whole life. I just have one of those faces you just wanna rip to pieces. I don't know if I’m proud, but I think it’s a testament to the writing over the last five years that they’ve built animosity in our audiences towards a character that has done some pretty despicable things and, at the same time, who has lived a life in a perfectly moral way. I think most people who are throwing those stones should take a look at their own life. I’m sure no one’s done quite as many despicable things in a row, but no one’s perfect. If I went into anyone’s closet, I’m sure I’d find something they don’t want us to know about.

Oh thank god:

Have you gotten any glares from women after that episode?
No, I haven’t. I’ve been in New York since it aired and I think people here tend to decipher between character and actor pretty well. But also I don’t really look that much like Pete Campbell. Right now I have a mustache and a full head of hair, and I lost about 25 pounds in February. It’s a lot easier to put it on than take it off.

Did you gain weight to play Pete or did you lose it for a different role?
At the beginning of the season, Matt said I was gonna have my hair shaved back and he said, you know, "Would you mind putting on some weight?" And I said, "Absolutely not." And I just started eating like a pig.

He asked you to change your hair?
Yeah, I shaved my hairline back this season.

I was wondering about that. It looked different.
Yeah! Especially that last episode, they were really prominently displaying my bald spot.

I didn’t want to ask if your hairline was receding.
No, it’s not. Most of my friends were like, Dude, don’t do that, it might never come back in! But luckily I have a good head of hair.

It's getting pretty late in 1967 by now. Time for one of the cast members to run out of ideas and steal a jingle from The Who Sell Out.

It was so strange that they featured a Beatles song on this show, and with the show set in the 60s I was expecting 'She loves you' or 'Love me do'

but they played 'Tomorrow Never Knows' :faint:

Beatles songs on movie and tv soundtracks are rarer than U2 songs, they have expensive copyrights attached to their songs

So, Vincent Kartheiser and Alexis Bledel are apparently dating now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom