Mad Men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought Season One.

I liked season one the best.

The first few episodes are great. They do a great job recreating 1959- 1960. Depicting the subtle and not so subtle nuances of racism, sexism, antisemitism.

Also, making the lead character, Draper mysterious and slowly giving his back story was brilliant.

And with that, I've finished season 2. Got the 3 premiere DVR'd and plan to watch it tomorrow, at which point I'll be completely caught up for the first time ever.

Gotta say, I didn't Duck since the very moment he threw that poor pooch under the bus.

Should have said "I didn't like Duck."

Anyway, watched the premiere. Solid episode. Sets up some intrigue down the road. But I'm all caught up, which is a good feeling.

I didn't like Vincent Kartheiser (sp?) on Angel, and I don't care for him here. I don't think it's just the characters.

So, I just caught up on this series over the past week or so, and tonight was the first episode I watched on television. I'm still undecided about it. When things happen, it's very, very good. Sometimes though, it's slow as hell.

Anyway, tonight, I remarked to my daughter: "it's surprising that more babies weren't born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome back then." She replied "maybe they were. That would explain the 80's, wouldn't it?" Heh.

Did anyone notice the date on the wedding invitation? Saturday, November 23, 1963. :hmm: Hubby immediately pointed out it wasn't a Saturday :nerd:

Did anyone notice the date on the wedding invitation? Saturday, November 23, 1963. :hmm: Hubby immediately pointed out it wasn't a Saturday :nerd:

I was going to post a picture of rainman, but then I saw that it was a Saturday afterall

I'll have to correct my husband :gah: :wink:

Nov. 22 was the day Kennedy was shot, which was a Friday.
Nov. 23 was indeed a Saturday, and thus the wedding on the show is scheduled for a day after the assassination.

the 23rd was a Sat, the day afer JKF was shot and killed

I imagine the wedding will have more to worry about than where the new wife sits.

Did this episode seem incredibly disjointed to anyone else? I think it was the randomness of the commercial breaks that seemed to cut in to the middle of scenes. There was speculation that Matt Weiner didn't want to deal with the Kennedy assassination because he felt it had been done too many times, but now with the emphasis on Margaret's wedding date, it's obvious he changed his mind. I'm thinking Don and Betty are going to really regret having her father come live with them. That is one creepy old man.:lol: Also, does anyone think their was any significance to the final scene with Don watching the teacher and then feeling the grass under his chair during the May Day scene? I'm still really not liking the Brits' addition to Sterling Cooper. And with the loss of the Madison Square Garden account last night after they originally were so gung ho for it seems to foreshadow that the partnership with the Brits might not last long. I guess we'll see.

I think you may be right about the partnership. :hmm:

As for Don at the May Dance... perhaps there was some sort of connection to the Bye Bye Birdie clip with Ann Margaret :shrug: :reject:

I was in the 3rd grade in 1963
we did a stupid May pole dance back then in CA, too

The MSG bit was good, it showed that Draper saw it for what it was going to be. And I am sure at the time there were people trying to save Penn square.

I'm about halfway through the first episode of season three.

Sal to Draper: "I've flown several times, but I've never seen a stewardess so game before."

Draper: "Really?"

HE THE MAN.

I'm about halfway through the first episode of season three.

Sal to Draper: "I've flown several times, but I've never seen a stewardess so game before."

Draper: "Really?"

HE THE MAN.

Yeah, that was awesome! :lol:

I had started to watch towards the end of Season 2 and I now have a copy of Season 1 so I'm watching Season 1 and Season 3 simultaneously - slightly confusing, lol

"I'm Peggy Olson, and I want to smoke some marijuana."

"I'm Peggy Olson, and I want to smoke some marijuana."

That was a little forced, as was "I'm so high".

This wasn't exactly the best episode, aside from the two strange but effective Kubrick homages (Draper talking to the sagacious bartender, Betty getting hit on by the suave older dude).

That was a little forced, as was "I'm so high".

I don't disagree, but it still got a chuckle.

She's really coming into her own though. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking this, but her character's arc is becoming one of the most interesting ones.

Something tells me you enjoyed Sterling in blackface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom