M. Night Shyamalan's Next Movie-Lady In The Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slapnutz said:

So you're another who fell for that 'it's so bad it's good' online marketing campaign orchestrated by the studio, huh?

You'll be pleased to hear it's so bad they've refused to give press screenings ahead of its release.

uhm, yeah I guess?

I'm a big Sam Jackson fan, and it just looks terrifically camp and cheesy and fun.

Who really cares about the critic's opinions?

They don't think for me, last time I checked.

elevation2u said:
did the Village get bad reviews?

cause I honestly love that movie, the subject came up at work the other and I almost got pelted with rotten tomatoes for saying I liked the Village.
:yikes:

Let's just say it's the Pop of M. Night Shyma-movies.

I saw Brice Dallas Howard interviewed on Conan last night and the clip they showed looked really good and intense. She really impressed me, what a poised intelligent young lady she is. Ron Howard did a great job raising his kids to be level headed kind and down to earth people!

^
She was great last night :up:

I think Conan conducts the best interviews out of all of the late night hosts.

I love Conan, not only is he himself entertaining and funny, but he does a great interview and you are right about him getting the best out of his guest. Ms Howard was absolutely adorable. I loved when she and Conan were trading stories about being in family of redheads!

I think all of his movies are good and while I agree the Village was not one of his best it is still a good movie...

Personally I think Unbreakable is his best. There is something about that movie which I love; it's definitely on my top 10 list. I can't quite put my finger on it but I can watch it over and over again.

The Sixth Sense tends to loose allot of its repeat viewing ability once the ending is discovered.

Signs is very good in terms or tension and suspense and there are some really touching moments and funny ones too. I'm not crazy about the ending though, seemed like he ran out of ideas and just threw something together...

The Village is good but there isn't as much tension as Signs and the ending has no real pay off, there is a twist but it's kind of lame and compared to his other films there are much larger holes in the plot...

Has anyone seen it yet? I am still trying to digest it, don't know quite what to make of it. Paul Giamatti was superb as usual. He can make even nonsense seem credible.

I love M Night's movies because they are like no other movies, and with all the copycat crap out from Hollywood that is quite an achivement. That doesn't mean they're good of course.

People far more intelligent than I am can analyze Lady In The Water and come up with dozens of interpretations of it. There is a political theme running through it for sure, with all the war references. It's tough to decipher through all the weirdness. If was definitely not my favorite movie of his, probably my least favorite. It's far more pretentious and self-indulgent in my eyes than any of his other movies have been.

This critic says it's a jaw dropping catastrophe

http://www.accessatlanta.com/movies/content/shared/movies/reviews/L/ladyinthewater/ajc.html

Another review I read said it's no show, just tell. That's a good description.

I saw it last night. It's still to soon to start ranking it against his other films. I enjoyed it. It was like the trailer said, a bedtime story. I think people are/were expected some horror/suspense flick, but I'm not sure where they're getting that idea from.

One of my favorite things was the random characters. Like instead of using all famous people who are perfectly proportioned and super-models on the side, he had some real weirdos and "normal" looking people (like the five sisters).

I'm still trying to understand the significance/analogies of the Scrunt and the Tartutic.

MrsSpringsteen said:

People far more intelligent than I am can analyze Lady In The Water and come up with dozens of interpretations of it. There is a political theme running through it for sure, with all the war references.

One of the main reasons I liked The Village was the political theme...I thought it was a very effective commentary, but not many people bought into it. The critics do hate this latest one, as you say...I'm seeing a pattern :hmm:

Like Trevster says, this could mean very bad things for Shyamalan, if LITW is a total flop. It could be back to Bruce Willis forever--or even worse: Chuck Norris :shifty:

angelordevil said:
Like Trevster says, this could mean very bad things for Shyamalan, if LITW is a total flop. It could be back to Bruce Willis forever--or even worse: Chuck Norris :shifty:

How could he make a movie with Chuck Norris?

Chuck would unleash a can of fury on whatever spooky thing is in that movie.

ok, ok, I say this in true honesty ...I'm not one who tried to be the devi's advocate but I feel I watched a different movie than the critics saw...because I thought it was fucking great. Honestly! It had the perfect blend of humour and suspense, and the best part was it was engaging. As an audience member the whole time I felt like I was along with the ride, trying to solve the puzzle and figuring out what Night's gonna surprise you with. I haven't been this fascinated watching a movie in a long time. The critic character was a genuis addition.. a mocking of movie critics
[which is probably a reason for the bad reviews], I applaud Night for being bold and always creative.
It's one of those movies where you just know every little thing in the set and the story has a meaning much like a book. There's a lot of commentary on world issues some subtle some not so much and actually involves the audience to be creative which is rare nowadays.

I definitely rank this towards the top of M Night's films. I think people should actually give it a chance and forget all the bad reviews and make up their own mind.

elevation2u said:
I think people should actually give it a chance and forget all the bad reviews and make up their own mind.

:up: well said.

I really want to see this movie before I go back to school.

This and Will Ferrell's new movie can hold me over until Snakes on a Plane.

Last edited:
I saw it today...highly original, quirky, and captivating. :drool: It lagged slightly at one point, but, overall, I really think it's Shyamalan at the top of his game. As mentioned earlier, there are numerous references to world issues and themes--the kind that might fly over your head if you're either not thinking your way through the film, or not used to his personal style of directing.

Visually, the movie is dark and different-looking, yet there's a interesting warmth to it all. In terms of a message, I think it's about redemption, new beginnings, and overcoming fear.

Critics be damned :up: :up:

angelordevil said:

:grumpy: I bet he'll just love Snakes on a Plane.

New Line's smart enough to not have Snakes on a Plane screened for critics, they'd tear it apart.

Fuck the critics.

I saw people give bad reviews to both Unbreakable and Signs and I just wanted to punch them in the face, those movies are awesome.

I know the critics are tearing this movie up but critics are lapdogs and they'll canonize a crap movie like Sideways because of it's 'quirky' dialogue and it's 'indie' pretense (I liked it, but you won't find a more overrated movie) and then they'll pile up and jump all over the token odd movie that doesn't follow the preconceived themes and ideas. And if it fails at the box office, then they really start piling on.

M Night's movies, generally, are either brilliant or crap to most people, and I think that says about all that needs to be said. Either you want to see a generic 'wacky' Owen/Luke Nose Wilson date movie comedy or you want to see WIll Ferrell wrestling a panther or playing jazz flute. If you don't the know the difference, you don't know the difference.

I haven't seen it but I think it's got a chance to be good, I wouldn't write it off because of critics, his movies deserve a closer look, IMO. Now, if you don't like his movies, then don't bother in the first place.

I'm really curious about this film. The reviews have been so generally bad but my best friend loved, even saying it was one of the best movies she's seen all year. I really thought The Sixth Sense was well done so I always have high expectations for a good story when it comes to anything this guys has written.

hotpepper said:
I'm really curious about this film. The reviews have been so generally bad but my best friend loved, even saying it was one of the best movies she's seen all year.

It was definitely one of the most original movies I've seen this year. Like the X-Men films, it's probably best to suspend disbelief when you watch it. No, it's not reality, but it makes you think about reality in a new light as you exit the theatre--that's the power of a great film.

angelordevil said:

It was definitely one of the most original movies I've seen this year. Like the X-Men films, it's probably best to suspend disbelief when you watch it. No, it's not reality, but it makes you think about reality in a new light as you exit the theatre--that's the power of a great film.

Ah . . . I'll keep that in mind. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom