M.I.A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Anyone like her?
For those of you who haven't heard of her, she's an MC of sorts - MCing/dance. Her music is a bit of an acquired taste, I guess, but she's pretty popular in the underground scene (or something like that. I am not qualified to talk about the underground scene) and has recently started to break through into mainstream. Her debut album on a major label, Arular, was released recently. I understand she played some festival in the US (it may have been Coachella...) and was quite well received.

Last edited:
Yes! I didn't think her music was my speed, but based on all the hype, I gave it a go and absolutely love the CD.

i decided to give this a listen based on heartland girl's recommendation a while ago, and it's quite good. not sure about her being underground (i don't even know what that means, anyway). m.i.a. got a pretty good review from pitchfork and i think she's been pretty popular ever since.

10 dollar is a great track :up:

what can i get for 10 dollar? anyting you waaaaant

I got to hear most of the songs off the album a few months back when jjj featured it. It's very good. Obvious Missy Elliot influences (which is not a bad thing), upbeat and danceable.

This is pretty behind-the-times, so I wanted to add it to this pre-existing thread rather than junkin' the place up with another one which'll probably get, like, a reply.

But is anybody else as disturbed as I am by the use of "Galang" in a Honda commercial, or whatever it is? I mean, seriously...fucked up. Totally fucked up.

I don't really see it on television all that much anymore (since the NFL playoffs ended, though, I'm watching less television all the time...my observations are questionable at the very best), but I'm sure others do or at least have.

M.I.A. + Cars...? WTF?

I don't know anything about that, no comment, but I usually have no problem with musicians licensing music. That gets more dough to feed the family, so to speak. It's their thing, they do what they want with it.

Anyway, I think she's really talented but the only song that's stuck with me so far is 'Bucky Done Gun'. I also think it's nice there's that Justine Frischmann connection considering I was big on Elastica a few years back.

I have Arular and it's a pretty good record, she can mix different styles and make them sound good

One of my top five albums of last year. Still catchy and as irresistible as ever.

I was wondering why no one had started a thread about Kala yet.

I fucking LOVE Paper Planes. The gun cock & cash register as percussion. Great shit. And there are samples and lifts all over the whole album. Jonathan Richman's Roadrunner, The Clash, New Order.

As with almost every other hip hop album in existence, a couple tracks too long, but a lot of highlights.

It's still growing on me. I had instant love for Bamboo Banga, Jimmy, 20 Dollar and Paper Planes but the only track I can't see myself liking is the Timbaland one. It's a poor followup to Paper Planes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom