Lucky he was wearing underwear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2ME3

Refugee
Count frequent flier Rep. John Dingell, ranking member of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee, among the victims of post-9-11 airline security measures. After his artificial hip set off a metal detector Saturday afternoon, the 75-year-old Michigan Democrat was ordered to pull down his pants at Reagan National Airport as he tried to board Northwest Airlines Flight 1417 to Detroit.

Dingell, who flies Northwest between Washington and Detroit around 100 times a year, told us yesterday that he explained to an airport security employee he was wearing a knee brace and surgically implanted pins are in his ankles, as well as a steel hip joint. Dingell said he refused a request to send his wallet through the X-ray machine, telling employees that a few weeks earlier jewelry had been stolen from his wife, General Motors Foundation President Debbie Dingell, when she sent it through.

It was then that the security employee, known as a screener, ordered him to unhook the brace from his knee and remove his shoes and socks, Dingell said. Then the congressman was led into a temporary office and directed to lower his slacks while the employee waved a metal-detecting wand over his boxer shorts.

------------------
Me3

And oh as I fade away they'll all look at me and say,
hey look at him and where he is these days
When life is hard you have to change

OMG-how humiliating.It's scary flying now-taking off your shoes and God knows what else.
wink.gif

*shudders thinking about Strom Thurmond being 'strip searched'*
icon30.gif

Well, September 19, I was flying to New York and they scanned me with the wand twice in 10 minutes (first when I checked in, then 10 minutes later after I went to the food court at the gate to get a sandwich).

I haven't had to take anything off yet, but I haven't flown since then either. I am a bit bashful of disrobing in the airport.

~U2Alabama

Airport security is a pain in the arse now. The airport in Virginia searched our car before we could park. I had to take off my jacket and shoes before going through security, and my purse was searched because of the tweezers and eyelash curler in my makeup bag.

You can't blame them for being so thorough though...however, that story is pretty extreme.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 01-08-2002).]

You reminded me, Bonochick: they confiscated my wife's tweezers when we were going through the gate at Rochester, NY's airport!

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom