Loveladies, New Jersey Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Moon was awesome. I just love any type of music competition that has as little douchebaggery as possible. Like BoMac said, I got to use an Ackbar mashup and a Kanye/Beethoven's Fifth and it was pretty cool. DI2 was the highlight of the whole tourney for me, but then we all got screwed over somehow.

I have said all I need to say to Screw at this point, so I don't know what else could be said, since my 3 AM Bitching / Genuine Reach-Out was met with silence.

After DI2 it pretty much became a rule that your list had to be as epic/soundscaped/flowtastic/perfect as possible.

At least that's what happened in my eyes

After DI2 it pretty much became a rule that your list had to be as epic/soundscaped/flowtastic/perfect as possible.

At least that's what happened in my eyes

I agree. I hope I didn't contribute a lot to it, although I may have. I like making a list that I can enjoy and sounds good from song-to-song. Flow's a pretentious term, but it works here. If anything, it shouldn't be the only thing governing over how you enjoy a list, you know?

The whole concept shit is completely beyond me. I can at least relate a bit to "YOU PICK TOO MANY POPULAR SONGS!!!" thing, but that's still close to outlandish for me to truly accept.

You people are ruining a great thing...as usual.

crystal-ball.jpg

There's good in here somewhere ...

Hey I'm new to all this but I'd like to pipe in with an optimistic outlook on the situation.

How is anything ruined?

To quote Walter Sobchak: "Nothing is fucked here, dude"

Nothing is ruined, and there's no need for it to be ruined. Let's just all put our 160 minutes of music down or whatever and have some fun.

Maybe a little bit of booze can be involved too???

:hyper:

I agree. I hope I didn't contribute a lot to it, although I may have. I like making a list that I can enjoy and sounds good from song-to-song. Flow's a pretentious term, but it works here. If anything, it shouldn't be the only thing governing over how you enjoy a list, you know?

The whole concept shit is completely beyond me. I can at least relate a bit to "YOU PICK TOO MANY POPULAR SONGS!!!" thing, but that's still close to outlandish for me to truly accept.

I'm not going to waste my time going back through the threads to find the posts, but there were specific posts of people complaining about lists that had too many popular songs, yours might actually have been one of them. And it eventually boiled down to one of the runners of the competion saying that from now on perhaps it should be strongly advised that people understand that the original idea was two cds of music you couldn't live on an island without, but now it's more about what kind of musical experience you can make out of two discs, and that was the exact moment when all hope for me and DI died :lol:

There's only one person in this thread doing that, dude.

Exactly. Flow* should be used to enhance your list, not rule it. When you sacrifice song quality for the sake of atmosphere, that's when you're going to far.

And the popular song thing infuriates me. I'm not counting Billboard chart toppers when I'm creating the list, sorry.

*WTF?

Then we'll start a new one. Everyone that sides with us will join that. Everyone that wants to stick with your interpretation of Axver's rules and Phanan's game can stick with DI.

Hint: ours would be much busier.

Unless Screwy thinks otherwise, of course.

I take responsibility for the concept shit as you call it. I started doing concepts because I didn't know any other way. When more people started doing it it was like they deserve more credit. I don't honestly see a problem with giving them more credit.

I'm not going to waste my time going back through the threads to find the posts, but there were specific posts of people complaining about lists that had too many popular songs, yours might actually have been one of them. And it eventually boiled down to one of the runners of the competion saying that from now on perhaps it should be strongly advised that people understand that the original idea was two cds of music you couldn't live on an island without, but now it's more about what kind of musical experience you can make out of two discs, and that was the exact moment when all hope for me and DI died :lol:

:yes:

:corn:

back to lurking :shifty:

I take responsibility for the concept shit as you call it. I started doing concepts because I didn't know any other way. When more people started doing it it was like they deserve more credit. I don't honestly see a problem with giving them more credit.

I got hardly any credit for the concept I came up with last year. Heck, I think it may have brought me down further. That and the dour cover I used.

There's only one person in this thread doing that, dude.

Exactly. Flow* should be used to enhance your list, not rule it. When you sacrifice song quality for the sake of atmosphere, that's when you're going to far.

And the popular song thing infuriates me. I'm not counting Billboard chart toppers when I'm creating the list, sorry.

*WTF?

If the whole concept of a Desert Island list was to make CDs of music you wanted there, then who gives a shit about "concept" or "hits". I entered once, but wouldn't do it again. :shrug:

Last edited:

Yeah, I've gotten shit for that, and for having songs from film soundtracks, too. Ironically, the biggest advocate against me had songs from soundtracks, too, so go figure.

It should be about putting music you like onto 2 discs worth of space and trying to make it sound good together. When you've been in every contest, however, it makes sense to start trying to do more inventive things with your list after you've exhausted a fair amount of your more "favorite" songs, you know?

So now when it comes to that shit, I'll look at it two ways: subjectively and objectively. Liking the songs is ideal, but if you respect that someone has taken the time to put it altogether and it sounds good, even if you don't like it, credit should be due. Axver and I had tiffs about musical differences, but I think we've grown to at least respect each other's ability to make fun lists, even if we don't like the music, if that makes any sense.

I really hope I'm not a cause of anyone's DI troubles. Except for Screwy, I don't care at this point.

What the hell is going on here?

Start around page 40.

To sum up: LemonMelon is working on four separate projects with four separate genres. He wants to use all of them to create a playlist for a future DI (DI 7 or so). Screwy interprets the rules differently from everyone here, including Axver, who wrote it. Screwy thinks we're wrong. Screwy believes Axver only approved it because he likes the genres LM is working in (which isn't true; one of them is indie for Christ's sake). Screwy also believes we're wrong. We have made countless arguments, few to none of which Screwy has addressed. And, Screwy thinks we're wrong.

If the whole concept of a Desert Island list was to make CDs of music you wanted there, then who gives a shit about "concept" or "hits". I entered once, but wouldn't do it again. :shrug:

And, on top of all this, if I'm an egotistical douchebag and wish to only listen to my own original music on that Desert Island, why the fuck is it Screwy's job to tell me I'm out of line, especially when the songs are under different artist names on my coconut iPod?

I'm actually wanting to quote your edit

When did it become so important to CRAFT the cds? I understood the paragraph, but soon it turned into the paragraph being an epic poem about the life and times of your tracks. And then this whole artwork thing came into play. Someone actually didn't vote for mine last time just because I didn't have artwork! I was never really trying to make my own cd anyways, so how am I supposed to come up with a thematic drawing of cover art?

/rant

Start around page 40.

To sum up: LemonMelon is working on four separate projects with four separate genres. He wants to use all of them to create a playlist for a future DI (DI 7 or so). Screwy interprets the rules differently from everyone here, including Axver, who wrote it. Screwy thinks we're wrong. Screwy believes Axver only approved it because he likes the genres LM is working in (which isn't true; one of them is indie for Christ's sake). Screwy also believes we're wrong. We have made countless arguments, few to none of which Screwy has addressed. And, Screwy thinks we're wrong.

Again, I have addressed all your arguments.

This last one definitely wasn't my strongest entry, but a lot of people were complaining I didn't have a concept. I'm bowing out of future DI competitions, I think.

Lila, you were in my group that time, I think. I didn't like competing against you :sad:

This last one definitely wasn't my strongest entry, but a lot of people were complaining I didn't have a concept. I'm bowing out of future DI competitions, I think.

This is why I think DI needs a new, looser direction.

I loved your list, and if people were bitching about a lack of concept, it's not something you should feel terrible about; you did a very good job. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom