Loveladies, New Jersey Superthread - Page 69 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #1021
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Ok, so I've read all of this finally.

I think this whole thing with LemonMelon has been misinterpreted a bit. Perhaps calling it a Fake List didn't help, because in reality, it wouldn't be fake. It would be a real piece of music, a real form of art. So first and foremost, I would stop calling it fake, because it's not.

Now if you all understand that this music LM is doing is actually real, and will be something officially posted by LM to the public in some fashion, such as MySpace, that is within the rules, and has been clearly communicated many times in the past.

I think the gray area here is the use of different names. Again, I would stop referring to them as "fake names" - if an artist decides to call himself something else, and release it under that name in some fashion, IT IS REAL. It's called having an alias, and is done in the music world all the time. Moby has released an album under a name called Voodoo Child - it's a different name, but make no mistake, it's all Moby. However, if I wanted to use a track by Moby and one by Voodoo Child, I can. It is allowed. And as someone else already mentioned, Tom Morello goes by an alias called The Nightwatchman. If Morello ever releases something in his own name, it would still be a separate entry from The Nightwatchman, even if both are the same person. And if someone wished to use both in Desert Island, they could, because it's within the rules of the competition.

So to cut to the chase, if LM wishes to include his own music, and has created different aliases for different tracks, he is within the rules of the competition. It is allowed. Plain and simple - there's really no argument over this.

I'd also like to make another comment. With Desert Island, although we do have certain rules (one artist at a time, official releases only), I want to remind everyone that you can use whatever music you want, and you can create it any way you want. It doesn't have to be a concept piece, it doesn't have to have all indie tunes only, it can be chock full of #1 hit singles, it can be anything. It is within the rules. And if you want to create a concept or theme for it, you can do that, too. The whole object of the game is to create something that works best for YOU - not for me, not for Axver (even though you'll get a punishing review most of the time, but don't mind that - he's always like that), and not for anyone else. But keep in mind, people will vote for you based on their interpretations as well. You may not agree with it, you might think it is complete bullshit, but how someone else sees your art will not always align with your thinking. Keep that in mind.

We're supposed to have fun with this people. It's a way to share music and explore how different types of artists and genres look in a different light when mixed together, and to see how others come up with something totally different to you. You may not like what others do, and sure, be prepared for some good natured ribbing if it is an artist a lot of people don't care for, but don't take it so seriously. It's a game, it's music, and it's supposed to be just good, fun entertainment.
Phanan, thank you for that, it did much to calm me down
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #1022
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
is that confirmed?
In Atlanta, Georgia everything is confirmed ... as a rumor.
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #1023
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 12:34 PM
Nice one phanan!

__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #1024
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Fuck you, NSW.


Also, uh...new thread?
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #1025
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
In Atlanta, Germany everything is confirmed ... as a rumor.
Fixed for ya.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #1026
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Fun fact: Radiohead's House of Cards shuffled up while I was reading this.
Must have brought a tear of joy to your eye.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM   #1027
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
So to cut to the chase, if LM wishes to include his own music, and has created different aliases for different tracks, he is within the rules of the competition. It is allowed. Plain and simple - there's really no argument over this.
PERIOD.

Thank you, Phanan. I really appreciate it.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #1028
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Our next location should Atlanta, Germany.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #1029
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 11:34 AM
No, I've got one hold on
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #1030
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Ok, so I've read all of this finally.

I think this whole thing with LemonMelon has been misinterpreted a bit. Perhaps calling it a Fake List didn't help, because in reality, it wouldn't be fake. It would be a real piece of music, a real form of art. So first and foremost, I would stop calling it fake, because it's not.

Now if you all understand that this music LM is doing is actually real, and will be something officially posted by LM to the public in some fashion, such as MySpace, that is within the rules, and has been clearly communicated many times in the past.

I think the gray area here is the use of different names. Again, I would stop referring to them as "fake names" - if an artist decides to call himself something else, and release it under that name in some fashion, IT IS REAL. It's called having an alias, and is done in the music world all the time. Moby has released an album under a name called Voodoo Child - it's a different name, but make no mistake, it's all Moby. However, if I wanted to use a track by Moby and one by Voodoo Child, I can. It is allowed. And as someone else already mentioned, Tom Morello goes by an alias called The Nightwatchman. If Morello ever releases something in his own name, it would still be a separate entry from The Nightwatchman, even if both are the same person. And if someone wished to use both in Desert Island, they could, because it's within the rules of the competition.

So to cut to the chase, if LM wishes to include his own music, and has created different aliases for different tracks, he is within the rules of the competition. It is allowed. Plain and simple - there's really no argument over this.

I'd also like to make another comment. With Desert Island, although we do have certain rules (one artist at a time, official releases only), I want to remind everyone that you can use whatever music you want, and you can create it any way you want. It doesn't have to be a concept piece, it doesn't have to have all indie tunes only, it can be chock full of #1 hit singles, it can be anything. It is within the rules. And if you want to create a concept or theme for it, you can do that, too. The whole object of the game is to create something that works best for YOU - not for me, not for Axver (even though you'll get a punishing review most of the time, but don't mind that - he's always like that), and not for anyone else. But keep in mind, people will vote for you based on their interpretations as well. You may not agree with it, you might think it is complete bullshit, but how someone else sees your art will not always align with your thinking. Keep that in mind.

We're supposed to have fun with this people. It's a way to share music and explore how different types of artists and genres look in a different light when mixed together, and to see how others come up with something totally different to you. You may not like what others do, and sure, be prepared for some good natured ribbing if it is an artist a lot of people don't care for, but don't take it so seriously. It's a game, it's music, and it's supposed to be just good, fun entertainment.
It is against the rules, Phanan. Why can't you see that? It is just him over and over again. It so against the spirit of the game that you'd have to be blind not to see that. Come on it is just LemonMelon with different names! You are opening the doors to something terrible. God I can't believe no one sees this. This is plain moronic.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #1031
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 03:34 PM


phanan's post did NOT sit well with screwy.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #1032
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Our next location should Atlanta, Germany.
But it's not a real location (outside of Interland, anyway) so would this be allowed under the Superthread rules and regulations?

































__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #1033
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
This is plain moronic.
Fuckin' A
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #1034
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 02:34 PM
you mean noone has created a wiki for atlanta, germany yet?
__________________
unico is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM   #1035
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
But it's not a real location (outside of Interland, anyway) so would this be allowed under the Superthread rules and regulations?


We've had Craggy Island, which is a location within a TV show....
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com