Love Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Did anyone else watch it? It was one of those shows that I knew I should love (hailed as a 'masterpiece' by critics, written by David Renwick, a superb cast...) but the fact is I didn't laugh aloud once. :huh:

I know it's only the first episode but even if we allow 'grower' time, I still can't see myself finding anything on the Gil side funny. The only bits that I found mildly amusing were the bits in Tamsin Greig's parts of the programme (Her half had Darren Boyd, Sheridan Smith, that girl out of the Mint card ad in it and the OAP who looked vaguely familiar from somewhere... IT SHOULD BE FANTASTIC!!)

But somehow I was left completely underwhelmed. It was way too 'let's attack the Political Correctness of Modern Britain' for my liking. It's been done so many times before by others now David, find a new area for comedy!! One Foot In The Grave worked because although Meldrew was at odds with the world, it was a world full of plausible but very surreal events. However, Love Soup is like ramming down your throat how bad the UK is becoming. Whatever happened to comedies with a bit of escapism?? Even when Renwick touched upon the PCness of the UK in say Jonathan Creek there were other comedy elements there too. If you think about it nearly all of the comic set pieces featured in last night's Love Soup were all a commentary on today's society.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. What did you all think to it? I'll keep watching the show to see if it improves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom