Love Monkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doozer61

Blue Crack Addict
Did anyone watch this last night? I tivo'd it but probably won't watch it until the weekend.

I liked Tom Cavanaugh in Ed. So I am hoping this will be a good show but it competes with my Law and Order and Boston Legal! :banghead:

Doozer61 said:
Did anyone watch this last night? I tivo'd it but probably won't watch it until the weekend.

let me know

if you are able to sit through it.

i tried, and couldn't

i thought it was really weak

and I am a patient and forgiving person

so this is a show about a 30-something single dude getting pressured to settle down.

And there's another new show with Heather Graham just like this.

:hmm:

I guess TV is trying to tell society: If you are over 30 and single, you better settle down and have babies and stop acting like a 20-something who likes to party every night.

I taped it last night and am watching it right now ... looks like I'm the only one who likes it! :ohmy:

Love seeing Kitty from Arrested Development in a different role - I almost didn't recognize her!

I thought it was pretty good. Even if they failed to acknowledge U2 (yet).

I was thinking today that it could offer some nice tie-ins with both up-and-coming and established musical talents. (This first show featured a John Mayer clone and they showed previews of an episode with Leann Rhimes.) Plus the music business is in a very pivotal time right now.

p.s., I thought the homosexual thing at the end was unnecessary....not that there is anything wrong with that. It just seems like they added that just because it's the "hip" thing to do in shows now. Also, I'd be disappointed if they had the main character get together with his "platonic" lady friend....can't poeple of the opposite sex stay "just friends"??

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The Heather Graham show was cancelled.

I wanted to give this a shot, but I couldn't sit through the first ten minutes.... Maybe when it's more established I'll get into it. I usually am slow to warm up to new shows.

i watched that,
it was ok

they should given it more time

this love monkey is so much worse

of course
it could be a gender thing

I like the "hot properties" show, too.

I :heart: ed this show! It was right up my alley since he has my dream job of working for a label, but of course it was only the 1st episode.

They really need to give him a different haircut. Tom Cavanaugh is all right, I guess, but something about him bugs me. The ugly haircut is not helping.

I was just watching the episode I'd taped last night, and was really on the fence about whether or not I was liking the show.

Then they used "We Built This City" by Starship in a scene, and I'm no longer on the fence.

I can't watch a show that uses such a shitty song without tongue firmly in cheek. Bleeeeeech!

Plus, I just really don't like Tom Cavanaugh.

corianderstem said:
I was just watching the episode I'd taped last night, and was really on the fence about whether or not I was liking the show.

Then they used "We Built This City" by Starship in a scene, and I'm no longer on the fence.

I can't watch a show that uses such a shitty song without tongue firmly in cheek. Bleeeeeech!

I am thinking that this was tongue in cheek. Maybe it a previous episode but Cavanaugh is talking with his new 'love interest' and asks her what her favorite 5 songs are and she responds with the usual, the clash, london calling, etc... But, her number one song is starship, we built this city. Hence, playing the song later in the show. You cannot deny the power and message of this song....we (cavanaugh and his new 'friend') built NY city on rock 'n' roll. :wink:

I am really liking the show alot. This last week had ben folds (yeah) and leann rimes (blech) and one of the producers is nic harcourt from the excellent kcrw. Next weeks show includes paul schaffer and Cavanaugh works on getting his 'new star' on the late show.

Oh, I missed that whole Starship reference. Well, it's a bit of a relief to know they didn't use it seriously. :wink:

Still, I don't think I'll keep watching it. It also bugged me in the first episode when Cavanaugh gave someone the "Essential Bob Dylan" CD set and mentioned something about how it had every Bob Dylan song ever recorded.

:huh: Uh, okay.

Maybe a silly reason to not like a show, but for a show that's supposed to be so big on music, that's a pretty stupid thing to say.

Looks like Love Monkey's ready to be put down.

CBS has shelved the critically praised hourlong dramedy series, following the adventures of four single thirtysomethings in New York, after just three episodes. And the prospects for its future seem glum.

"Love Monkey is on hiatus and there's no scheduled return date," a network spokesperson says. However, sources close to the show tell E! Online's TV columnist Kristen Veitch that Love Monkey won't be coming back.

Love Monkey's Tuesday time slot will be the latest edition of The Amazing Race, whose two-hour premiere 9-11 on Feb. 28 was already scheduled to preempt the series.

Beginning Mar. 7, Race will move to the 10 p.m. slot previously occupied by Love Monkey to make room for The Unit. The high-octane action drama from producers Shawn Ryan (FX's The Shield) and David Mamet stars Dennis Haysbert (24) and Robert Patrick (T2, The X-Files) as covert special forces operatives on secret missions and the wives who protect their identities.

Based on the book of the same name by Kyle Smith, Love Monkey starred Tom Cavanagh as a record company executive who loses his job and his girlfriend all in the same day. With a little help from his buddies, including Jason Priestley as his brother-in-law, Cavanagh's character manages to bounce back, not only finding a new woman, but also a new record company job.

CBS had ordered seven episodes, plus the pilot, as a midseason replacement from producers Sony Pictures Television and Paramount Network Television.

But ratings for the show have been underwhelming. Monkey shed viewers with each airing, and averaged just 8.1 million for its run, about 6 million fewer viewers than NBC's time slot champ, Law & Order: SVU. Also not helping is its Friends-type vibe, which doesn't quite jibe with CBS' crime drama-heavy schedule.

Before Amazing Race takes over at the end of the month, CBS will fill Monkey's slot with a rerun of NCIS next week and a rerun of CSI the following week.

:grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom