Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
This is the one record that's supposedly the most controversial ever made, so on and so forth.

Has anyone hear actually bought it?

Or, to put it mildly, has anyone actually bought it AND listened to it?

I heard about 10 minutes of one of the tracks before I deleted the file from my computer, my ears bleeding.

I never bought it, but I've heard it. I'd say it's almost unlistenable....unless you are in some kind of drug induced stupor. and even then.......
Have you heard it, Yertle?

I've listened to about 30 seconds of it on those CD preview sites once. I remember thinking 'bloody hell'.

One of my favourite songs ever, though, is 'The Diamond Sea' by Sonic Youth. It ends with about 10 minutes of crazy guitar noise. I find it incredibly cathartic for some reason but I can't listen to anything else for about an hour or so after that.

I like a lot of Lou Reeds material, but Metal Machine Music isn't included in that, I like to think I'm quite open minded about music in general, some artists like to experiment with different styles, & sounds, & I'm all for that, sometimes it works, Bowie's Low being a perfect example, sometimes it doesn't Metal Machine Music is a perfect example also.

I have an 1:30 excerpt on an anthology boxset. Often, when listening to it, I can't even get to the end of it. While I can't get enough of the 11-minute Street Hassle (the track preceding the Metal Machine Music excerpt on said anthology).

yertle-the-turtle said:
I've listened to about 30 seconds of it on those CD preview sites once. I remember thinking 'bloody hell'.

One of my favourite songs ever, though, is 'The Diamond Sea' by Sonic Youth. It ends with about 10 minutes of crazy guitar noise. I find it incredibly cathartic for some reason but I can't listen to anything else for about an hour or so after that.

Yes, The Diamond Sea is something else. Beautiful noise.

Back
Top Bottom