LOTR: FOTR - apretiation thread... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:31 PM
LOTR: FOTR - apretiation thread...

I can't get enough of this movie. I saw it allready 3 times, and it just gets better... I can't wait another year so I read (again - for x-th time) the books 2 and 3. Not a day goes by for me not to think and ponder about it - I think that something is wrong with me.

How did you see it, what do you think and do you have some major remarks...

give me you perspective on the movie, please

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Old 02-09-2002, 08:42 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Twice so far, want to see it at least once again on the big big screen. I saw it first a couple of days after it came out, then again three-four weeks later.

I still think the book is superior. I have read it so many times and am currently rereading it (all three parts), and it does move me even more, overall. But books do move me more than movies. I can say that the movie feels a good deal darker than the book. I see the book quite differently, in many ways. But in a way I really like that. I can put my conception and Jackson's conception side by side, and appreciate and compare them both. And the movie will probably have some effect on my conception, but I won't allow it to just supplant my own vision.

Acting and visuals are great. Ian McKellen, Gandalf, was completely superb--my favourite character and played perfectly. I also love Legolas, partly because he acted very well and partly because he's gorgeous and Aragorn was not quite how I imagine him but was very fine too, and Boromir was very good, and basically all the acting was good...except I didn't like Galadriel, Cate Blanchett, very much. Way too weird and eerie. And that plays into how I felt about Rivendell and Lothlorien--I felt they were both too sad and creepy, especially Lothlorien. When I reread the book I discovered I was right about Lothlorien--it WAS much more green and gold and bright and healing in the book than in the movie. I think they just wanted to preserve the somber tone for that part of the movie, but for me that was the closest they came to not getting it right. And besides Legolas and Arwen, I really didn't like the elves. I felt Elrond really wasn't right and generally the elves were too androgynous and weird and creepy.

But my verdict is that it's a great movie in almost every way, and I doubt anyone will ever make a better film, or even try, of such an amazing and hard-to-film book.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 02-09-2002).]

Old 02-10-2002, 04:42 AM   #3
War Child

I agree with you on Galadriel - in book she has such a major role, and in movie she's of no importance. In book even gimly "falls" for her and in part two he attacks anyone who tries to say anything bad about her. And than those leafs that they eat to get energy, all the presents that she gives them - I hope tht her role will get expanded in that extra 30 minutes that will get in the cut when the "special" DVD comes out in november.
In the second trailer you can see the scene where galadriel gives them their presents, but it didn't make it to the cut...

other than that the movie is right as I expected and imagined it, and in TTT and ROTK it gets even darker - especialy ROTH when that dark comes and there is no day...

I can't wait

------------------
"Everyone loves me
Old 02-10-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:31 PM
It's really, really enjoyable, but I still haven't decided whether it should qualify as a film on its own merits or whether it will always be merely a visual adaptation of the book. The reason I say that is it's too long (and a bit poorly paced I think) and it comes dangerously close to requiring you to have read the book.

Beyond that, there are a few editorial decisions that I would have made differently: I wouldn't have used the faded-out cinematography nearly as much, nor the use of the camera quickly moving across the landscape. Slow-motion was used far too much at the end, and the fight between the wizards was just silly.

But the movie resonated emotionally. To that extent, it was really good.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:21 AM   #5
Acrobat

I havent seen the film yet, though I really want to, I loved the books the first time I read them and I just finished reading the first one again. (You forget so much that happens!)
I just cant wait to see how all the characters and landscapes have been transfered to the big screen, maybe see it this week.

------------------
*~cloudymani~*
Old 02-10-2002, 02:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I adore this movie. It stands quite well on its own apart from the books but also realizes the Middle-Earth of the novels quite well. Strong acting, good pacing, eternal themes...quite certainly one of the best movies of last year. And definitely superior to the Star Wars movies.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

4 times. Now it's nowhere in sight as far as local theaters, so I'll be waiting for the DVD. August, I believe, and a special edition with 30 extra minutes in November
Old 02-10-2002, 04:01 PM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
4 times. Now it's nowhere in sight as far as local theaters, so I'll be waiting for the DVD. August, I believe, and a special edition with 30 extra minutes in November

yeah I'm going for the 4th time next saturday...
what I would like to see is a preview of TTT which will last 4 minutes and it will be shown in the US in a few weeks, but only after the credits of the FOTR in cinemas...

scatteroflight: it will be 30 more minutes of the movie, and Jackson said that it will be all drama with no added action scenes - the word is that galadriel's role will be expanded.

This year I saw the best movie ever, I'll see it many more times AND as far as a lot of near.official rumors go U2 are playing in Zagreb, Croatia on August 15th (I heard it a month ago, and now it even on u2tours/rumors) - it's a hell of a year...

and yeah - black riders are awsom, scary,definetly not for kids. I don't know who's scarier the riders or their horses - they look like some dark wild beasts and not horses at all

------------------
"Everyone loves me
Old 02-10-2002, 04:08 PM   #9
Refugee

Star Wars is still better as a movie.

Why?

Because it is an "original work" (not based on a book) and because it won't take an extra 30 minutes on the DVD to make it a more well-rounded film.

30 more minutes?

That brings the time to THREE AND A HALF HOURS.

Any movie that can't say its peace in two and a half can't be the greatest ever.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:19 PM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Star Wars is still better as a movie.

Why?

Because it is an "original work" (not based on a book) and because it won't take an extra 30 minutes on the DVD to make it a more well-rounded film.

30 more minutes?

That brings the time to THREE AND A HALF HOURS.

Any movie that can't say its peace in two and a half can't be the greatest ever.
yes it can - for me it's the best. It's a matter of taste, why do you have to put us in the same basket? and why do you think that your words are god-like? please speak for yourself - use the owrd "I" every once in a while

------------------
"Everyone loves me
Old 02-10-2002, 04:21 PM   #11
War Child

one more thing bubba - 30 more minutes are for fans only - they expect fans to buy it and apritiate it

I, as a fan, look forware to those 30 minutes, although I would like it to be 60 minutes...
Old 02-10-2002, 04:40 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

I dunno about that...would you say that any book that can't say its piece in, say, 500 words or less can't be that great? LOTR, War and Peace and some others are pretty darn long. I think the main thing is if the movie can be really long and still hold interest, as it did for me...

I just wish they would have included this extra 30 minutes in the original release! But I guess that would have made it too long for a lot of people.

The question is also, since I didn't like Galadriel a whole lot, do I really want to see more of her??

------------------

-ACROB@T
Old 02-10-2002, 05:11 PM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I dunno about that...would you say that any book that can't say its piece in, say, 500 words or less can't be that great? LOTR, War and Peace and some others are pretty darn long. I think the main thing is if the movie can be really long and still hold interest, as it did for me...

I just wish they would have included this extra 30 minutes in the original release! But I guess that would have made it too long for a lot of people.

The question is also, since I didn't like Galadriel a whole lot, do I really want to see more of her??

I don't care much for galadriel, but in TTT she is mentioned thousand times and all fellowship loves her - especialy Gimly the dwarf... but who knows, maybe some other things will be added

and I'm also glad tht they excluded swamp in shire (it is still totaly confusing in the book for me), and Tom Bombadil - nice fellow, but not important for the rest of the book/movie

------------------
"Everyone loves me
Old 02-10-2002, 05:53 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:31 AM
LOTR holds a very special place in my son's enjoyment of books. We were delighted with
the movie. Have you seen the documentary, "The Fellowship of the Ring"?Very interesting, especlly when they travel to Finland and talk about the Cavala
(I think it is called) over 3000 of the world's 6000 languages gone forever, and only one old old man who still knows the whole cavala left alive.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:16 PM   #15
Refugee

Tolkien was very much influenced by the Kalevala and the Finnish language--Quenya, the High Elvish language, sounds a lot like Finnish. I have been to Finland many times, my mom is from there. But I keep meaning to read the Kalevala--I have it from the library right now--and still haven't. A great Finnish painter called Akseli Gallen-Kallela did an absolutely amazing series of paintings based on the Kalevala. I doubt anyone has heard of him outside of Finland but he is a truly great painter, did many different styles and all wonderful.

------------------

-ACROB@T